How much do you value your residency

See ideally you travel all over when your young and by time your 30 ur over it. At least that was the case for me. I called 10 different states home in my 20s by time I hit 30 I was ready for some consistency...meeting a good woman helped a lot to. Haha. The goal was always to be out west tho. And @wllm1313 is just saying that because he moved from the beautiful west to Mass. thats just silly. 😋
Sitting on my porch looking at some ducks in the river talking to my mom whose inside with the house buttoned up because of all the smoke watching the mountain across the highway in flames I'm kinda like... Pluses and minuses :)

I've learned through our 8 moves that me being happy or miserable has nothing to do with the location.

See ideally you travel all over when your young and by time your 30 ur over it. At least that was the case for me. I called 10 different states home in my 20s by time I hit 30 I was ready for some consistency...meeting a good woman helped a lot to. Haha. The goal was always to be out west tho. And @wllm1313 is just saying that because he moved from the beautiful west to Mass. thats just silly. 😋
I’m 30 but not over it. Lol

Just curious if I'm in similar company on here. I live in NE Wyoming and love the perks of being a Wyoming residency. On top of not really paying taxes there isn't a western state that treats its resident better. I recently had a recruiter approach me about taking a similar job in Northern Nevada as an accountant. I know I would have gotten a 15-20k. I quickly said I wasn't interested because I don't want to leave Wyoming. I live the ability to just buy a deer and elk tag at Walamrt and regularly draw a three antelope tags. I do all my hunting on public land. A close second reason was my hatred of moving but really the hunting perks was why I said no. Don't know if anyone else put here would have a similar mindset.
Yes, you are in good company; I love Wyoming for the wide, wild expanses of public lands that are just outside the front door. When I travel to places where public land is scarce, I value the freedom to cavort on public lands whenever I want even more. You only get a certain number of hours in this life, and when you spend them happily in the places you love, they're worth just as much as the money you might get in a ho-hum indoor job. Remember all the joyous moments you have had in our great state of Wyoming.

Like South Carolina? :ROFLMAO: Just kidding. Go Panthers!

I always thought this might work. If you try it let me know.
Make sure your kids go to college out west. If you have to, secretly tell them look Dad will pay for some of your college if you go here, here, or here. But if you go to college close by then the deals off. Probably don't tell the Mrs. about this. Then when they go to college out west you will have an easier time convincing her to move. She may actually bring it up first!
I wouldn’t be against western SC in the mountain areas but not eastern. That’s just one large swampy sandy area that isn’t even nice to drive through.

If you move around a lot, don't buy heavy shit
Yep. Something to think about when ordering a shoulder mount. Just finished my first fur & glass eyes at age 68. Now I can't figure out where to put the damn thing. Dad was happy enough to let my two elk caps hang on the wall at his place during my roaming years (little one is 49" inside beams) but I can't imagine he would have put up with shoulder mounts. Anyone under the age of forty is nuts keeping anything but caps and euros. Life is just too unsettled for young folks these days. They can always be made into shoulder/pedestal mounts at a later date if that's what turns your crank.

I was a resident of Colorado for 41 years. When I retired in 2015 I did some calculations on how much Colorado was going to tax my retirement. I bought a house, live and work in San Antonio Texas now. It is cheaper for me to live in TX and hunt Colorado every year than it is to live in Colorado and hunt as a resident. There is way more to it than that, but I am pretty happy with my decision.

I dream daily that El Paso will remove itself from Texas. Probably not going to happen. If my wife wasn't so far into her career I would be pushing hard to get away from this state.

Grew up in eastern Iowa and always had wonderlust for what was out there. Did some traveling after school, but big kick was @22 when I left for the service. Spent time on both coasts, north and south for short stints. When it was over I moved back to within 5 miles of where I grew up. 5 years ago I bought the house I grew up in to raise my kids. It’s not perfect but it could be way worse.

see what happens when kids are out of house. We’ve been spending a lot of time in the South Dakota, North Dakota Montana tri-state area. I think I could move there in a heart beat but want my kids to have a steady childhood. One of the previous post’s was spot on, we all hit the lottery for being born in the US. Might not like how it is changing but look around the world. We have space and more prosperity and opportunities than most ppl could ever imagine.

I always thought this might work. If you try it let me know.
Make sure your kids go to college out west. If you have to, secretly tell them look Dad will pay for some of your college if you go here, here, or here. But if you go to college close by then the deals off. Probably don't tell the Mrs. about this. Then when they go to college out west you will have an easier time convincing her to move. She may actually bring it up first!
This worked for me, although it wasn’t intentional. My son left NC to go to college in CO. 2 years later when my daughter graduated high school, I moved to UT. As for using that to convince the wife to move… Nah, I left her in NC. 😝

I walked away from what would have been a pretty big promotion at work there, but I’ve not regretted it for one second. I now have residency in WY in some pretty awesome elk, deer and antelope country. Looking forward to my first season of hunting there this fall.

Louisiana has it’s strong points. Cost of living, plenty of hunting and fishing opportunity, great trapping laws, my area is sparsely populated compared to most places this far east.

Main thing is my family has been here for over 200 years on the white/jewish side and no telling how long on the Choctaw side.

I am nostalgic I guess.

I don't have a super strong attachment to Georgia itself but I love my hometown. It's miraculously remained small even though more and more people are realizing what a great place it is.

I have a strong desire to live in a western state for some period of time in my life but I think it will end where it more or less started when it's all said and done.

As far as hunting opportunity here, as long as you have access to land (or can make it up to the big public land in the north end of the state), residents get two bucks, ten does, two bears, a few turkeys and all the feral hogs you can kill for a license that costs roughly what I spend in gasoline per week. Draw a quota deer hunt set up by the state and they raise your yearly buck allotment to three, so that's cool too.

Vermont taxes are painful !! We couldn't leave here if we wanted to, due to elderly friends and family. Luckily we live at the end of a dead end dirt road, minutes from Quebec. We care-take 700 acres of woodland surrounding our home, in exchange for sole hunting rights, with great horseback riding and hiking available. I can have my boat in Lake Champlain in about 10 minutes from our house. Hunting trips west with 2 - 3 day drives, are doable. Upstate NY also has great hunting and fishing opportunities. The coast of Maine is a half day drive. Montreal is one hour. Guess we'll stay here.

From a hunting perspective Pennsylvania provides quite a bit of opportunity to a resident for a good value but I don’t feel the hunting is what keeps me here for now. The ability to provide my kids a good lifestyle is more important for right now.
Two years ago my wife and I both decided to pass on fairly big promotions to relocate to the front range area in Colorado. At the time it was exactly what I was hoping for but after sitting down and going through everything with a fine tooth comb we both realized it was going to mean our kids would be spending far more time in a daycare/babysitter than they ever do with us and that the increase in salary was going to be somewhat minimal due to higher cost of living. The same house we live in now would cost 5x more in Colorado.
I still daydream about possibly living somewhere in the west someday but for now it’s just not a priority. I can drive 34 hours straight through and still hunt elk and mulies for 5-7 days each year. I guess that will suffice for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back