How much do you value your residency

I agree . We do not have darkness for "months on end". Alaska is a large state. Residents south and west of Anchotage dont have any, totally dark days and the hunting in southern Alaska covers a rather large range of animals. Brown Bear, Black Bear, Goat, Deer, Moose, Caribou, Wolf, Elk, Sheep. you can also fish the ocean as well as the rivers .

I do value my residency. Some days I abhor living here though.

I grew up here and even in my short life it seems to have changed quite a bit. Small beans though compared to my parents experience. And they’re happy enough, go figure - like wllm said, enjoying where you live is more a product of your attitude than anything else.

At the end of the day it’s really a blessing though to live in a state worth such a strong economy, good jobs that allow us to live here, and all of my family and all of my in laws being here. Then add in the fact that I can hunt deer and elk every year on enormous amounts of public land in a state with very impressive deer and ek numbers for less than a hundred bucks.

im obsessed with mule deer hunting, and I am especially thankful to live in Colorado in that regard

The downside to Alaska is not seeing the sun, or very little of it, for months on end. That takes a mental toll. Been there. I can handle the cold (we get -50 days here) and even the wind (I worked in eastern Montana), but living in the dark day after day, month after month gets to you.
No place is perfect but sounds like a price to pay for OTC sheep, moose, caribou and other animals I'm forgetting. But I'm used to meing home in the dark for months. Thinking about it I wonder if a thr total darkness on the days off would make a big difference.

I agree . We do not have darkness for "months on end". Alaska is a large state. Residents south and west of Anchotage dont have any, totally dark days and the hunting in southern Alaska covers a rather large range of animals. Brown Bear, Black Bear, Goat, Deer, Moose, Caribou, Wolf, Elk, Sheep. you can also fish the ocean as well as the rivers .
I did say little or no sunlight. Living in Seattle and Tacoma for several years is my experience with that environment. I don't imagine Anchorage is any better. Short winter days with no clouds and a little bit of twilight are no doubt better. The plus side of course is when short summer finally does come to Alaska, daylight lasts all day. Nothing like tying a fly on at 3:00 a.m. I agree, the pluses outweigh the minuses ... but I'm not sure my wife would have felt the same way after spending a winter there. But maybe I'm wrong ... she always said the two weeks the family was together at Katmai in August were the best time of her life. We both agreed that the year spent in Seattle was the worst time.

I did say little or no sunlight. Living in Seattle and Tacoma for several years is my experience with that environment. I don't imagine Anchorage is any better. Short winter days with no clouds and a little bit of twilight are no doubt better. The plus side of course is when short summer finally does come to Alaska, daylight lasts all day. Nothing like tying a fly on at 3:00 a.m. I agree, the pluses outweigh the minuses ... but I'm not sure my wife would have felt the same way after spending a winter there. But maybe I'm wrong ... she always said the two weeks the family was together at Katmai in August were the best time of her life. We both agreed that the year spent in Seattle was the worst time.
I think I would have tougher time living in an area that is cloudy and rains all winter long. Interior Alaska gets a total of 12 inches of precip annually and we have long sunrise and sunsets.
You do have to love sugar snow to live here...
IMG_1069.JPG

The thought of leaving North Dakota i think crosses most peoples minds growing up here. I've got friends that want me to move to Colorado and i just don't think i can. We are often forgotten about as a state but we have a lot to offer. We have once in a lifetime moose, elk, and big horn sheep tags. Ive been fortunate enough to draw both moose and elk. We have pronghorn, whitetail, and mule deer to chase around. Our waterfowl is some of the best and the fishing we have is pretty remarkable.

One thing i always took for granted is the people. For the most part most of them are down to earth people. I was at the gym this spring talking with 2 gals from California and a gentleman from Chicago in the sauna about how they liked it here. They said they loved it, they said its like we are stuck in the past and that it is a good thing. They can walk down the road without the fear of being robbed, we do not have to prepay at the gas stations. Lots of little things they pointed out that i never really realized. The older i get the more i appreciate it here.

We moved to Idaho even though the smart financial move would have been to stay in NC...

But having only lived here 8 months, I have no regrets other than missing my friends. I absolutely love this place ( even with the record heat).

Just curious if I'm in similar company on here. I live in NE Wyoming and love the perks of being a Wyoming residency. On top of not really paying taxes there isn't a western state that treats its resident better. I recently had a recruiter approach me about taking a similar job in Northern Nevada as an accountant. I know I would have gotten a 15-20k. I quickly said I wasn't interested because I don't want to leave Wyoming. I live the ability to just buy a deer and elk tag at Walamrt and regularly draw a three antelope tags. I do all my hunting on public land. A close second reason was my hatred of moving but really the hunting perks was why I said no. Don't know if anyone else put here would have a similar mindset.
I love Montana even if I moved I’d want to be here.. I love hunting elk I love seeing wolves and bears and hunting lots of does. I love the public land and most of the laws that bind… I truly appreciate the wilderness and there are only a couple other states I would even POSSIBLY consider… It’d have to be a big reason..

Im going to go out on a limb and say neither one of you were hunting whitetails here in the 90's or early 2000's before the management became a complete joke.
True. And I don’t necessarily think the two bucks a year rule is a good thing.

Im going to go out on a limb and say neither one of you were hunting whitetails here in the 90's or early 2000's before the management became a complete joke.
Killed my first button buck on private land in jasper county in 2001.
I really know nothing about management though.
I feel like there’s a descent amount of deer in vermillion county. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t value libtard WA state. I’d move in a heartbeat if I could. Especially living on the west side. But I do have to be thankful there is some decent fishing around and my new schedule I work 7 days on and 7 days off with a 5 minute drive to work. So that does leave lots of time to head east

True. And I don’t necessarily think the two bucks a year rule is a good thing.
It used to be. Upping the h ih n tags and adding firearms seasons are the down f
Killed my first button buck on private land in jasper county in 2001.
I really know nothing about management though.
I feel like there’s a descent amount of deer in vermillion county. 🤷‍♂️
Certain parts of the state are still pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back