HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE A PACK OF WOLVES TO WIPEOUT YOUR PETS OFF THE DECK?

I posted this to show folks that it literally took 16 secs for the entire killing of pets to happen. There has been a surge in depredation of domestic animals where I live this was posted to educate people that your livestock and pets may need close observation where wolves live. Don't put words in my mouth or make judgement in my intent.

I can't control others folks reactions, but I I am not waging war on wolves, but I will certainly be more aware of my pets and grand kids.

No disrespect meant, but the all caps certainly sets a tone you may not have intended for. I forget a lot of people don’t realize wolves kill dogs, as we have never have had shortage of wolves in my home state of MN.

Not long before someone pipes up that their dog one on one could defend itself against a wolf.
Not a chance.
Its something about December. Lets not forget wolf and pitty cerca dec, 10 2015

Reactions: Hem
domestic dogs and grizzlies have done that to people near where I live. Wolves have not. Actually, is there a documented case of wolves killing a person anywhere? I bet more whitetails have hurt people than wolves.

Sad deal, but price you pay when you choose to live where wild critters live.

A dingo took my baby.
Yes to wolves killing people. A couple in Canada and Alaska. I don't recall the specifics.

Really? Wolves have been eating dogs in MN for as long as I can remember.
Really. Never ate mine. Never even came close, though we were out and about in the damnedest of swamps and back country. But the wolves were always around. Killed a buck out on the ice out front for instance, but not my dogs. No doubt they get a few, but it's hardly a major source of canine mortality.

Interesting how the deer populations exploded in that part of the state, even though there was "never a shortage of wolves". Deer hunting in the 70s' considered just seeing a deer in season nearly the same as putting one in the freezer. But the deer hunting sure improved in the 80's and 90s. So did the wolves.

Really. Never ate mine. Never even came close, though we were out and about in the damnedest of swamps and back country. But the wolves were always around. Killed a buck out on the ice out front for instance, but not my dogs. No doubt they get a few, but it's hardly a major source of canine mortality.

Interesting how the deer populations exploded in that part of the state, even though there was "never a shortage of wolves". Deer hunting in the 70s' considered just seeing a deer in season nearly the same as putting one in the freezer. But the deer hunting sure improved in the 80's and 90s. So did the wolves.

Just because YOUR dog didn’t get eat up doesn’t mean it never happens, and I’m not saying it’s a common occurrence or even something a person should be overly concerned about, but I can’t remember a time in my life where there wasn’t a healthy populations of wolves around, and cows and dogs weren’t getting killed by wolves.

I don’t think deer populations increased due to a lack of wolves. I think land use changes were the biggest factor is the white tails expansion in northern MN. Only makes sense wolf numbers would increase along with its prey base.

Just because YOUR dog didn’t get eat up doesn’t mean it never happens, and I’m not saying it’s a common occurrence or even something a person should be overly concerned about, but I can’t remember a time in my life where there wasn’t a healthy populations of wolves around, and cows and dogs weren’t getting killed by wolves.

I don’t think deer populations increased due to a lack of wolves. I think land use changes were the biggest factor is the white tails expansion in northern MN. Only makes sense wolf numbers would increase along with its prey base.

I very explicitly never said "it never happens". But it didn't happen to me, nor my friends dogs over 20 decades of living out at the end of the road in the Superior National Forest and edge of the BWCA. I don't recall anyone being especially worried about it albeit it did happen on RARE occasion. This has become something of a war cry among the anti-wolfers. My dogs did have close calls with moose and black bears. But no one whines about them. Why is that?

Deer increased IN SPITE of wolves. That was the point.

Obviously, you weren't in the thick of wolf country back in the day.

I very explicitly never said "it never happens". But it didn't happen to me, nor my friends dogs over 20 decades of living out at the end of the road in the Superior National Forest and edge of the BWCA. I don't recall anyone being especially worried about it albeit it did happen on RARE occasion. This has become something of a war cry among the anti-wolfers. My dogs did have close calls with moose and black bears. But no one whines about them. Why is that?

Deer increased IN SPITE of wolves. That was the point.

Obviously, you weren't in the thick of wolf country back in the day.

Well right on man, not sure what we are arguing about tbh. I think our timelines are a little different maybe.

. I think our timelines are a little different maybe.

I'm guessing you are of the time line where wolves ceased to be a natural phenomenon, and became a political party plank.

I just speak from experience. Wolves don't scare me any more than bears (less actually).

I grew up in the corn belt, and would wager that grain trucks in harvest season kill substantially more farm dogs every year than wolves up north do. The common denominator is unattended dogs either get smart quick or suffer consequences.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back