Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

How Heavy is Your 13 day Sheep Pack

ThunderNocked

I'm going on my first Backpacking Hunt - Archery Dall's Sheep in Alaska. We are hiking out September 30th.
What are your guys pack weights- we are going to be out 13 days.
I'm getting a little nervous. My buddy just weighed all his stuff and he is at 79 pounds going in. I'm a little heavier because I have my bow and my spotting scope. Right now I'm at 56 pounds without food - looking at 20 pounds for food. I also didn't weight the cloths I'll be wearing.
We are going to be going out September 30th and plan on staying out till end of season October 10th. We are planning to hike out on 10/11 and he has to catch a plane in Anchorage October 12th at 3 PM.
I am looking at trying to cut some weight as it sits but was curious for a 14 day backcountry trip what you guys see for pack weight for a sheep.

Also,worth bringing one extra day of food? for emergency purposes?

I could be wrong but I’d be willing to bet there’s only a few guys on this forum that have done a legit 13 day trip out of a backpack. Take most answers with a grain of salt...
Shoot, ok thanks! I mean if I have it my way it will be half that time! HA!
We are going in on an Any Ram hunt and though I'm going to be a little picky I'm planning to come out with something. I figure Archery Dall sheep is hard enough I can be happy and proud of anything I bring home. First backpack and first Dalls sheep. But I plan to get the biggest ram I get an Opportunity on. I have the full season and we are going in a day early and coming out the day after. so I guess its 12-13 days. Thanks Fire_9 for the advice.

I killed a dall ram on the 13th day of a backpack hunt and hiked out on day 14. I don't recall what our packs weighed, but I think mine was in the mid-60's and my guide's was probably 15-20 pounds heavier. It's hard to know what to suggest cutting without knowing what you're taking. My experience is that guys tend to take more clothing than necessary. For my hunt I took one pair of capeline long underwear, one shirt, one pair of pants, 3 pairs of socks, a fleece jacket, lightweight (Marmot) rain gear, a pair of gloves and a beanie. We had another guide join us a couple of days before the end and he brought more food (was a 10-day hunt). My hunt was a little earlier than yours (Sept 2-15).

I killed a dall ram on the 13th day of a backpack hunt and hiked out on day 14. I don't recall what our packs weighed, but I think mine was in the mid-60's and my guide's was probably 15-20 pounds heavier. It's hard to know what to suggest cutting without knowing what you're taking. My experience is that guys tend to take more clothing than necessary. For my hunt I took one pair of capeline long underwear, one shirt, one pair of pants, 3 pairs of socks, a fleece jacket, lightweight (Marmot) rain gear, a pair of gloves and a beanie. We had another guide join us a couple of days before the end and he brought more food (was a 10-day hunt). My hunt was a little earlier than yours (Sept 2-15).
I'll send my list. I had it posted on another thread previously, but I'll PM it to you and maybe post it up here as well.

Tyrel's Sheep ListTotal Weight in Ounces931.00
Orange = Need to buy Red = Optional Anything CUTWeightsTotal in Pounds58.1875
Licenses & PermitsClothing
Hunting License/Driver License/IBEP Card1.00Kuiu Chugach Vias pant14.9
Sheep Tag (Bear Tag?)0.10BlackOvis 250G Heavyweight Base Layer Bottom9.5
UnderArmour Archery Gloves & Black Ovis Merino3.7
WeaponsMilitary Surplus Mittens17.8
Mathews VXR28*99.60Costco 100% Merino Wool Socks (2-3)(2.9oz/sock)8.7
SpotHogg Wise Guy3.70Crispi Briksdal
Easton Axis with 100 Grain Broadheads6.00Stone Glacier DeHaviland25.9
SCS Sling?BlackOvix T-Shirt and Longsleeve Hoodie19.6
Bear Spray (Costco)11.70Frontier Gear Wooly Mamoth
Knives and StropWool Mix Beanie & Maxlite Gaiter/Mask5.8
Wool Underwear 2-3 (Minus 33 & ?)15.7
OpticsKings Camo XKG Gaiter11.1
Vortex Diamondback 10x4221.70Kuiu Chugach Vias Jacket18
Vortex Razer 20-60x8077.20Eddie Bauer Down Jacket12.1
Tripod & Bino Adapter42.40Change of Cloths for home (leave in truck)0
Klymit V-seat Seat cushion (glassing)2.30Ball Cap (Deep Forks/Stone Glacier/Mathews/etc)2.8
Leupold RX-1 Rangefinder6.80Tyvek Paint "Sheep Suit"
PhoneSkope2.00Water Shoes9.8
iPhone & GoPro21.70Flyer's Liner Pants18.7
RAVPower 25000
Camp
HikingStone Glacier Skyscraper 2P with Dyneema Footprint89.7
Blue Costco poles20.30Klymit Sleeping Pad and Pillow28.1
Stone Glacier Sky Guide 7900100Klymit 0* Down Bag63.1
Black Diamond Spot and Streamlight Pen Light4.60Toothbrush and paste
inReach Mini4.10Batteries (Flashlights AAAs)3.9
Paper Maps (2.4/map 4.8)2.40Toilet Paper/Wipes (need more)
Stone Glacier Rain Cover3.60Saw5.5
Vortex Bino Harness w/ lens cloths9.50Duct Tape/Electrical Tape?????
Light My Fire Spork0.3
Food:Army Survival/Medical Kit, Fire Starter, Compass, 550 Cord, Space Blanket, Healing Balm,26
Mountain House (14?)
Snack Foods (not freeze dried)
seasoning for sheep meat at campSuperGlue & aquaseal
Emergency/LemonadeJetboil with 2 fuel cans28
Platypus - 3L, 2L & 48 oz Nalgene11.20Dry Bags (1 5L, ?)2.8
Platypus 2L gravity filter11.70
Meat/Hide Care:
Optional GearCaribou Gear Game Bags w/ plastic and ziplocs & rope15.6
Pen & Notebook / Book / CardsMeat thermometer (necessary in October?)
Rubber gloves2

Last edited:
Many years ago now, I did a backpack elk hunt for 7 days. I remember the pack coming in right at fifty pounds, including food. Then whatever the rifle weighed.

If I was in your shoes,,, the spotting scope would draw scrutiny from me. Especially since you say you aren't going to be overly picky about the size of the ram.

Also,, I'd consider leaving the mittens out, unless you are really sure you'll need them. Me,,, I'd MacGyver another way.

I did 14 days in the Wrangells in September 2011. We had food and fuel for 16. I remember two good-sized food bags, the volume of which about matched the meat loadout of a sheep. We were probably at or around 70 lbs each, with 2 rifles and a shared spotter. The year prior I did 10 in the same place, August, solo, with a bit less food but no gear sharing.

I'd be damned before hunting that long on an inflatable pad with no backup foam pad. Consider saving a pound by taking a full length z-rest and chopping off the final 4 segments for a spotting seat. I did the 2010 hunt on a 3/4 ridgerest only, no inflatable. In 2011, with shared spotter and tent weight, I brought the lightweight thermarest inflatable, 3/4 length, to go along with a 3/4 z-rest.

Make sure your clothing is a system...I don't know if you'll be facing significantly sub-freezing temperatures...rather it'll be in the high 20s and 30s and wet. You might be doubled up on puffy coats, and you might have too much hats and gloves. Second glove might better be rock-resistant and thorny-foliage-resistant rather than warm (waxed leather or garden gloves). I can't tell what your pants situation is, but I don't count baselayers and hiking pants as packweight. A modest beanie and neck gaiter work well with a hooded puffy across many temps, down into the teens if need be.

Aquamira drops...no filter.

Better have a drybag for your sleeping bag.

So are the Stone Glacier DeHaviland pants a change of pants or something you are planning on wearing over the pants you are starting out with? I wouldn't be carrying in a change of clothes. Maybe 1 pair of underwear to change and wash and a couple spare pairs of socks.

For the future you could probably cut a few pounds upgrading your pack but for now I think you roll with it.

P.S. - I've never been out longer than a week.

Sorry for some of the confusion:
I am leaving a change of clothes with my truck. On me I will have:
bottoms - 1 pair wool base layer, 1 pair SG De Havilland Pants, 1 Puffy Insulation Pant and 1 Rain Pant.
tops - 1 Wool tshirt, 1 wool longsleeve base, 1 midweight 1/4 zip 'softshell', 1 puffy insulation jacket, 1 rain jacket.
2 or 3 total underwear, 2 or 3 total pairs of sock, 1 beanie, 1 ball cap, 2 thin gloves and the mittens for glassing in sub freezing conditions.
I also realized I didn't upgrade this list but my pack is acutally the Stone Glacier Sky Guide 7900 because I couldn't fit enough in my Eberlestock. Iwas at 5500ish cubic inches, fit everything but 0 food.

I don't think I have carried more than about 60 lbs and that was meat, and all downhill. 80 lbs going in (uphill, I'm assuming) sounds miserable. How far are you going? Could you stash half your food at the starting point and make a 2nd trip if you don't score in the first few days?

The spotting scope would be left out or left with the cache of food for me too. I hear Dall's are relatively easy to spot (being white and all) and the 10x binocs might be enough?

We are going in 15 miles. I don't think stashing half is going to work. Also could be bears so wouldn't want to leave it.
Spotter is possibly not as important seeing as how this is any ram, but I think it is pretty necessary. I've read that they are still hard as heck to spot and you never see as much as you think you see. This is my first hunt but I haven't seen where people have said they are easy to spot. And it would be nice to take a look at them from range to determine rams vs ewes and lambs. I've been hiking with 45-50 pounds but not nearly as much as I should have been. Last ditch push these last 3.5 weeks to get dialed in!
Thanks for the input.

The length of time spent if its 3 days or 14 is just extra food. I've done a dozen 10-12 day backpack sheep hunts and countless other shorter trips. Two guys splitting camp and gear, even with 2 rifles shouldn't be more than about 50-55lbs each. I can do a solo 10day pack for 50-55lbs. I don't count my binos or clothes I'm wearing, but everything else including spotter and rifle. I guess if I counted the cloths I'm wearing, boots, and binos I'd be in the 60lb range, maybe.

The wife and I did a 10 day trip, took one rifle and a pistola. Total weight of my pack was 50lbs, hers was 37lbs... and we took more than enough food.

Start cutting stuff you don't really need. A few extra cloths for the later season is about the only difference from an August to a October trip. Plan on the weather being shit, it will rain and snow in early October in the Chugach, may rain every day. Early Oct is season changing time and can be a miserable experience in the mountains. If you are lucky and kill one you will have 80-90lbs of sheep to pack out. With 2 guys thats an easy pack as long as you didn't take a bunch of extras.

Looking at your list it looks like you are including clothes you wear and binos. Thats like 5-6lbs, or are those extra clothes?

Things I would ditch -
nalgene bottle, unless you really need it for some reason
saw
Check your fuel, a 110gr bottle should lasts me 6-8 days depending on temps, heating dinner and breakfast. For two people I take a 250 and a 110 and have plenty for 12 days.
What are flyers liner pants? Puffy pants?
I don't see any rain pants. The grass in the chugach if wet will soak you to the bone.
Water shoes aren't needed, IMO. Just wear rain pants, tighten up boots, and wear gaiters, and go fast... The streams aren't that big.

I would take a small backup battery pack to charge the inreach incase you leave it on by accident. Walmart has little 4000mah for like $10.

The costco merino wool socks suck. If they are new they will last the trip, but you'll probably wear holes in them.

split the camp gear between you and your buddy. THings like the tent, spotter, tripod, etc. Don't double up. I would 100% take a spotter, you can find beeded sheep about 10x easier, and you can't tell a young ram from a ewe at long range with binos.

Good luck on your hunt!!!

Last edited:
I’d figure out how to pack like Bambistew!

Have you checked out the gear list from the Proving Trail Adventures guys? They’re both in the 42-43lb weight for 10 days.

Are you planning on doing the 15 miles in one day? That will be a helluva day carrying 70+ pounds.

I'd make it a two day trip in and leapfrog all of the gear to where you want to hunt. Getting out in a day after you've eaten all of the food seems easy enough.

Geez, now Bambistew has me rethinking my pack for my 4-5 day goat hunts this fall. I'm at 50 lbs, but the way he just made me feel grossly over packed and I only had one extra pair of socks for additional clothing.

We were planning on
The length of time spent if its 3 days or 14 is just extra food. I've done a dozen 10-12 day backpack sheep hunts and countless other shorter trips. Two guys splitting camp and gear, even with 2 rifles shouldn't be more than about 50-55lbs each. I can do a solo 10day pack for 50-55lbs. I don't count my binos or clothes I'm wearing, but everything else including spotter and rifle. I guess if I counted the cloths I'm wearing, boots, and binos I'd be in the 60lb range, maybe.

The wife and I did a 10 day trip, took one rifle and a pistola. Total weight of my pack was 50lbs, hers was 37lbs... and we took more than enough food.

Start cutting stuff you don't really need. A few extra cloths for the later season is about the only difference from an August to a October trip. Plan on the weather being shit, it will rain and snow in early October in the Chugach, may rain every day. Early Oct is season changing time and can be a miserable experience in the mountains. If you are lucky and kill one you will have 80-90lbs of sheep to pack out. With 2 guys thats an easy pack as long as you didn't take a bunch of extras.

Looking at your list it looks like you are including clothes you wear and binos. Thats like 5-6lbs, or are those extra clothes?

Things I would ditch -
nalgene bottle, unless you really need it for some reason
saw
Check your fuel, a 110gr bottle should lasts me 6-8 days depending on temps, heating dinner and breakfast. For two people I take a 250 and a 110 and have plenty for 12 days.
What are flyers liner pants? Puffy pants?
I don't see any rain pants. The grass in the chugach if wet will soak you to the bone.
Water shoes aren't needed, IMO. Just wear rain pants, tighten up boots, and wear gaiters, and go fast... The streams aren't that big.

I would take a small backup battery pack to charge the inreach incase you leave it on by accident. Walmart has little 4000mah for like $10.

The costco merino wool socks suck. If they are new they will last the trip, but you'll probably wear holes in them.

split the camp gear between you and your buddy. THings like the tent, spotter, tripod, etc. Don't double up. I would 100% take a spotter, you can find beeded sheep about 10x easier, and you can't tell a young ram from a ewe at long range with binos.

Good luck on your hunt!!!
Those were the cloths I was wearing - I was just weighing EVERYTHING and didn't think about them not being in the pack. The only "extras" are the 1-2 extra pair of socks or underwear.
I figured a hard water bottle would be good to have in case something happened to the Water Bladder, will reconsider.
Saw was on the block, for sure now.
Fuel I was going to bring two of the 110s, my buddy was going to bring one as well as we are sharing it.
Flyer Pants are a military Surplus Puffy Pant.
I have the Kuiu Chugach Pants and Jacket as well as gaiters.
the water shoes were for around camp - light weight and something to wear and have my boots off.
We got the RAVPower 2500MaH for battery for Mini Inreach and phone.
I have the Costco Merino and 2 pairs of Darn Toughs. I have a pair of SealSkinz on order.

Thanks for all the input!

Geez, now Bambistew has me rethinking my pack for my 4-5 day goat hunts this fall. I'm at 50 lbs, but the way he just made me feel grossly over packed and I only had one extra pair of socks for additional clothing.
Sometimes you just have to pack what you have to pack. I can still cut about 3-4lbs off, but the $/oz isn't worth it at this point.

I miss read the fuel weight, I see it includes your jetboil and fuel, though it was fuel only.

I would toss in a small silnylon tarp if you can find one or have one. They are quite nice to camp out under during the day or when stuck on the side of a mountain in the rain.

I think you have all bases covered, and are in the ballpark once all things considered/equal.

Last edited:
Are you planning on doing the 15 miles in one day? That will be a helluva day carrying 70+ pounds.

I'd make it a two day trip in and leapfrog all of the gear to where you want to hunt. Getting out in a day after you've eaten all of the food seems easy enough.
We are planning on doing it in a day. However since I have the full 10 day season if we don't make it all the way if we can make it most then I'd be ok with camping overnight.

Sometimes you just have to pack what you have to pack. I can still cut about 3-4lbs off, but the $/oz isn't worth it at this point.

I miss read the fuel weight, I see it includes your jetboil and fuel, though it was fuel only.

I would toss in a small silnylon tarp if you can find one or have one. They are quite nice to camp out under during the day or when stuck on the side of a mountain in the rain.

I think you have all bases covered, and are in the ballpark once all things considered/equal.
I was just looking at Silnylon tarps... I was trying to decide where I could get one and how much it would be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back