How Heavy is Your 13 day Sheep Pack

The length of time spent if its 3 days or 14 is just extra food. I've done a dozen 10-12 day backpack sheep hunts and countless other shorter trips. Two guys splitting camp and gear, even with 2 rifles shouldn't be more than about 50-55lbs each. I can do a solo 10day pack for 50-55lbs. I don't count my binos or clothes I'm wearing, but everything else including spotter and rifle. I guess if I counted the cloths I'm wearing, boots, and binos I'd be in the 60lb range, maybe.

The wife and I did a 10 day trip, took one rifle and a pistola. Total weight of my pack was 50lbs, hers was 37lbs... and we took more than enough food.

Start cutting stuff you don't really need. A few extra cloths for the later season is about the only difference from an August to a October trip. Plan on the weather being shit, it will rain and snow in early October in the Chugach, may rain every day. Early Oct is season changing time and can be a miserable experience in the mountains. If you are lucky and kill one you will have 80-90lbs of sheep to pack out. With 2 guys thats an easy pack as long as you didn't take a bunch of extras.

Looking at your list it looks like you are including clothes you wear and binos. Thats like 5-6lbs, or are those extra clothes?

Things I would ditch -
nalgene bottle, unless you really need it for some reason
saw
Check your fuel, a 110gr bottle should lasts me 6-8 days depending on temps, heating dinner and breakfast. For two people I take a 250 and a 110 and have plenty for 12 days.
What are flyers liner pants? Puffy pants?
I don't see any rain pants. The grass in the chugach if wet will soak you to the bone.
Water shoes aren't needed, IMO. Just wear rain pants, tighten up boots, and wear gaiters, and go fast... The streams aren't that big.

I would take a small backup battery pack to charge the inreach incase you leave it on by accident. Walmart has little 4000mah for like $10.

The costco merino wool socks suck. If they are new they will last the trip, but you'll probably wear holes in them.

split the camp gear between you and your buddy. THings like the tent, spotter, tripod, etc. Don't double up. I would 100% take a spotter, you can find beeded sheep about 10x easier, and you can't tell a young ram from a ewe at long range with binos.

Good luck on your hunt!!!
What pack do you use?

Last edited:
HOLY CRAP... I'm 7 days out... and feeling vastly unprepared. I'm quickly shifting from excited to terrified hour by hour for this first time all around experience.

Is this normal for a first sheep hunt/backpack hunt?!

I've got 12 days of food, plus I was thinking I'd bring an extra day and I'm at 27 pounds and 4000 calories a day. I'm thinking to cut it down to 25 pounds and about 3500 calories. Thoughts?!

HOLY CRAP... I'm 7 days out... and feeling vastly unprepared. I'm quickly shifting from excited to terrified hour by hour for this first time all around experience.

I've got 12 days of food, plus I was thinking I'd bring an extra day and I'm at 27 pounds and 4000 calories a day. I'm thinking to cut it down to 25 pounds and about 3500 calories. Thoughts?!
With a caveat that my max outing is 7 days, I think people are more prone to overpack rather than under pack food. Then again, I never have much appetite on hunts anyway.
You might enjoy this:

Enjoy the hunt!

How heavy is your tarp? I can't do $100 plus on a tarp.... i'm pretty much tapped for funds on this. I'm down to just needing food and that is it so I am needing to be careful.
I am looking at like the Kelty Noah's Tarp on enwild.

Buy a cheap blue tarp, they are super light, and roll up pretty small. An 8x10 is about the size of a pringles can rolled up and weighs about the same as a sil nylon tarp or less, they are just bulkier. They are like $8. I would bring a tarp of some sort for sure.

IMO, that is way too much food, no way I could I'd eat that much backpacking food. On backpack hunts I'm in the 1.5lb range/day or less and have all I want, and usually end up with enough for another 2-3 days. Protein bars/Snickers are heavy, breakfast/dinner is light. I just did a 12 day fly out moose hunt, and flew in canned food, eggs, bacon, potatoes, etc, and was under 35lbs of food to include a handle of whisky... I didn't go hungry by any means, and split most of the food with my partner. I pack the same amount of calories I eat on a typical day at home even sheep hunting. But I don't need a lot to keep me going either. I know many people are different. I would take some bullion cubes, Raman soup and other hot/easy meals for lunch. Sitting around looking for sheep, or waiting for fog to lift gets boring and cold. If I was a betting man, you'll likely not be able to see the mountain at least 3-5 days out of your hunt minimum.

Time's ticking... I need to figure out what to eat this weekend when caribou hunting. I'm thinking a bbq grate over a fire, and grilled moose steaks, fried potatoes, and corn on the cob paired with Pendleton :unsure:

I actually have some extra Dyneema that I'm going to cut to about a 4'x8' section. then I may tape some paracord to the corners for guy lines. It will roll up the same and I already have it. I was looking for one of the new Caribou Gear Hunter Tarps but I can't get one in time.

I've actually cut my calories at home to 1500-1700 per day because I've been trying to loose weight. I'm down 52 pounds this year sitting at 220 now. I'm planning to drop down another couple before we go. I have seen the average number is about 3000-3500 calories per day for most people - so I'm down to 24.25 pounds and about 3600 calories per day.

Fritos2.00160.00320.00
Landjager1.70144.00244.80
Peanut M&M2.00140.00280.00
Chocolate Coconut Almonds1.00150.00150.00
Kirkland Trailmix1.00149.00149.00
PreCooked Bacon (3 pieces -80cal/2)1.00120.00120.00
Tillamook Cheese (90/piece)1.50112.00168.00
Sausage/Salami3.00100.00300.00
olive oil0.40224.0089.60
Nan (Bread?)1.7076.50130.05
Nature Valley Biscuits1.30146.00189.80
Clif Nut Butter Bars1.70135.30230.01
Peanut Butter1.50167.00250.50
Chocolate Filled Crees0.001500
Liquid Energy Mix0.5016080
Black Rifle Coffee Company0.2900
Cliff Builder Bars0.0000
Total Ounces and Calories20.592,701.76
Plus a mountain house for breakfast and lunch - averaging about 5 each.

Is that list just your snacks for the day plus breakfast and dinner? No way I could eat that much food in a day when hiking/backpacking/hunting. Everyone's' appetite is different, but that would easily be 2 days worth of snacks for me, even on a pack out/in day.

In a day I eat the following:
oatmeal/granola and maybe 1 out of 3 days a freeze dried breakfast or tortilla/pb and pre-cooked bacon (3-500cals)
1-2 protein bars (250-500cals)
1-2 granola bar or snack cracker packs (150-300cals)
2 snack size candy bars (150-200 cals)
nuts/trail mix variety (200-300 cals)
cheese/salami/smoked salmon and jerky sometimes on/with a tortilla or bagel (3-500cals)
A freeze dried meal for dinner (6-700 cals)

I try to get a variety of snacks, and don't force myself to eat it. If I'm not hungry I don't eat. I'd say I eat anywhere from 2000-2800 cals/day tops. I've hunted with a number of guys that eat even less than me. My wife eats about 2/3 what I do...

I think a lot of people think they have to eat until they are satisfied, or maybe they just burn a hell of a lot more calories than I do? Even on the diet above I usually maintain my weight with no issue.

I mostly use the Meh Formula when making food decisions (copyright pending)
‘If I pulled this out of my bag, would I be excited, or have any ‘Meh!’ feeling’ associated with it?
The easiest way to think about this is that I have never ever once pulled a Snickers out of my bag and been disappointed. Snickers are the absolute best.

I mostly use the Meh Formula when making food decisions (copyright pending)
‘If I pulled this out of my bag, would I be excited, or have any ‘Meh!’ feeling’ associated with it?
The easiest way to think about this is that I have never ever once pulled a Snickers out of my bag and been disappointed. Snickers are the absolute best.
Thats why I have the 2 ounces of Fritos and 2 ounces of Peanut M&M's. Actually to be honest those were both at 1 ounce and I looked at those servings and thought .... yeah there is no way that is going to do... I'm gonna be sadly disappointed when those are gone. 1 ounce of Peanut M&Ms in 11-12 M&Ms. :LOL:

It has been decades since I hunted sheep. So my memory is hazy as to gear. But I did hunt sheep hard in tough country. One thing I remember is,
, “when in doubt, leave it out!” Good luck

Last edited:
gear sold today is so much improved from my sheep hunting days forty plus years ago. Both of my successful Dall hunts i do not believe i changed anything but my underwear. Was mostly wet all the time. Wool was the primary base As I recall, all from Filsons. I remember being glad i had a knee length rain coat so the water ran mostly off to the ground. I preferred whipcord wool pants Over long johns. The white sheep could be seen at a distance but often obscured by fog, rain, and clouds. On my first Dall hunt our pop up tent was overrun by river water when a glacier flooding suddenly above camp in the middle of the night caused several days of nightmarish adventure. We survived and on 20th day weather cleared enough for me to take a stunning ram. I weighed 145 at the hunts beginning and 130 when i got home. I loved and still love sheep hunting. Took a Marco Polo ram at 17000 feet knee deep in a Tajikistan snow storm stumbling into 15000 foot camp close to midnight. Loved every minute of it. Good luck and kindest regards.

gear sold today is so much improved from my sheep hunting days forty plus years ago. Both of my successful Dall hunts i do not believe i changed anything but my underwear. Was mostly wet all the time. Wool was the primary base As I recall, all from Filsons. I remember being glad i had a knee length rain coat so the water ran mostly off to the ground. I preferred whipcord wool pants Over long johns. The white sheep could be seen at a distance but often obscured by fog, rain, and clouds. On my first Dall hunt our pop up tent was overrun by river water when a glacier flooding suddenly above camp in the middle of the night caused several days of nightmarish adventure. We survived and on 20th day weather cleared enough for me to take a stunning ram. I weighed 145 at the hunts beginning and 130 when i got home. I loved and still love sheep hunting. Took a Marco Polo ram at 17000 feet knee deep in a Tajikistan snow storm stumbling into 15000 foot camp close to midnight. Loved every minute of it. Good luck and kindest regards.
Something tells me you were/are one tough sumbitch!

Thank you sir. Sounds like you had some awesome adventures! I hope to come out of this loving Sheep Hunting as much as you!

OK.... So my current pack is down to 53.94 pounds plus 22.204 pounds of food.
Total Weight is 76.14. I'm trying to figure our a last couple of things to cut but we will see. I am hoping to get the pack a little closer to 50 over the weekend but I'm in the zone of that 50-55 and then 13 days of food I'm 3100-3500 calories per day. I'm going to try to cut that a tiny bit more as well.
Heres hoping to be down to 70 somehow magically without leaving something behind!!!

What’s on the bubble (top 5 or so items) for ye in terms of the pack?
Just throw out a day’s worth of food. Won’t miss that shite

It is normal - you're close to doing something that you've never done, and as the day gets closer you are consumed by questions, and every one that you can't answer, adds to the nervousness.

That just shows you're human, and you care about the trip. So take a deep breath, tell yourself that you have put in the time preparing and cutting weight, and that your #1 priority is to have an adventure. Everything else (including downing a sheep) is gravy on top.

Have a great time, and tell us about it when you get back!

It is normal - you're close to doing something that you've never done, and as the day gets closer you are consumed by questions, and every one that you can't answer, adds to the nervousness.

That just shows you're human, and you care about the trip. So take a deep breath, tell yourself that you have put in the time preparing and cutting weight, and that your #1 priority is to have an adventure. Everything else (including downing a sheep) is gravy on top.

Have a great time, and tell us about it when you get back!

I agree with mdhunter61 about 99 44/100ths % (older guys will remember the Ivory Snow commercial LOL).

I would only state that your #1 priority is you and your buddies safety. You've thought it all through. Over and over. In scuba diving we say "Plan the dive, and dive the plan". You've worked on your plan for a good amount of time. Trust in your plan.

Think about checklists: The first word of every checklist is a verb - "Set", "Place", "Verify". No thinking is involved in a checklist. All the thinking was done well in advance, in a controlled stress-free environment where you have plenty of time to work through any and all contingencies. Same thing here. You and your buddy have worked it out. Trust in your plan.

Stay safe, enjoy the trip. As mdhunter61 said "Everything else (including downing a sheep) is gravy on top" (y)

Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

I really am excited about this. I hope to learn a bit about myself on this and I've always wanted to do some real back country stuff. I'm really excited. Thanks! I may post up my final gear list and weights once I get it done this weekend.

I also was going to film some stuff maybe and through it up. I may post some stuff if I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back