Yeti GOBOX Collection

How far away?

mtmuley

How far away from a retrieval area (and I don't mean 4 wheelers) would you kill a cow elk? How far would you pack one that was quartered up and pack it to the truck? Boned out even? This is kinda like a poll, kinda. mtmuley

I’ve packed a couple of cows 3-4 miles one way.

I have also had several of them die either right in or right next to a two track. I like those.

I’ve never shot a cow elk, but I wouldn’t hesitate to go four miles. That’s a lot of good meat, it’s not easy to come by, and because I’m a non-resident for just about all elk hunting, I would have considerable investment in the hunt. If I had to go four miles in to find a cow instead of keeping my tag, I wouldn’t hesitate. If I had to go farther, I would probably be willing, but I’d certainly try to exhaust my closer to the truck options first. It’s not like seeking out recluse elk for a better age class is going to be particularly rewarding in the case of a cow.

So far it's been a mile but who knows about the future. I have always figured if your there then you must feel it's good to shoot.

Dan

The two elk I shot (cow and bull) were +- 2 miles from camp up and over a ridge and down in a hole. I shot them about 30 seconds apart. CPO (who was a few hundred meters away) and I packed meat all day. I got all the rear quarters with some of the loose meat and the head and antlers. It was a pretty long day but well worth it. I slept in the next day ;)

Anyone do the 3-4 miles solo? mtmuley

Assuming the weather isn’t a prohibitive factor, i.e. the meat is going to spoil and you are packing meat and not meat + camp.

Assuming a solo packout.

Boned out
5 hours 1 way would probably be my absolute max. You can get a cow elk boned out in in 2 trips. So 15 hours of packing. On a relatively mellow/flat trail/logging road 8-10 miles.

Bone in
3 hours from the truck, assuming it takes 3 trips to get the cow out.

I think 3-4 is a reasonable limit.

Last edited:
Because I'm solo I'm hunting within 2 miles of vehicle access, especially if it is Sept or warm Oct. I'll only be 61 this Sept, that is an age where wisdom intrudes on enthusiasm.

I'd say 1.5 miles. My knees aren't great and I'd be packing it out by myself. Furthest I've packed a cow so far has been about 1 mile on the GPS. I've only shot a couple of elk, both cows.

Had a limited entry bull tag one year and some guys roll up in a pickup when I just get back from a hike. They tell me they have a couple cow tags to fill and ask me if I’ve seen any. Told them there was a little herd bedded about half mile away. They informed me that they wouldn’t be shooting one that far from the road as they are not working that hard for a cow. This was not mountain country so was a cake walk of a pack out.

Myself I’m more of a pull the trigger and then kick my ass for doing it type of guy

Anyone do the 3-4 miles solo? mtmuley
My last elk cow was 3-4 miles from the truck and I was solo. Luckily the terrain was downhill on a timber road pretty much from the site of the kill. I had all afternoon to pack so I took out a hind and front in two trips. Twelve miles round trip is tough, but do-able solo.

Last elk I packed out was 3 1/2 miles from the road. In a ravine. They never seem to die on level ground or close to a road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back