How do you find a place to hunt?

Do you use kill photos to your advantage?

• Total voters
Screw you bambistew!

here is a pic of bambistews shed spot! Go get em guys!

I stole that spot anyway, easy come easy go. If you're going to let the cat out of the bag, you might want to mention that the area has brow tine restrictions during hunting season (8 minimum). This is the only legal bull we found the whole trip.

Attachments

• may13.jpg
    may13.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Critter. You drove right by my house without even stopping? I hadn't realized that was a CO bull. I just assumed it was MT, because there are huge bulls behind every tree there. Wherever you shot it, it wasn't in my honey hole, so thanks for not tailing me. :)

I've been thinking about this topic some. I can't say that I've poached another's area.

3 times I've asked for help, for where to hunt.

The first time, when I moved to CO and I qualified as a resident in December. There were a few left over cow tags that I didn't know much about. I was anxious to put some meat in the freezer and Oak was nice enough to give specifics and even help pack meat out. I still consider that his area, and would ask his permission to hunt there. Here is a picture of that country, right after the cow elk died in it's bed.
picture.php

The second time was last year when Utah DOW called me and let me know that someone returned a Books Cliff muzzy deer tag 4 days before the season. I accepted it and made a few calls. One was to a fella named Brandon in UT. He gave me some general areas. I showed up and got away from most of the crowds and found one very big deer. Just didn't kill it.

picture.php

The third time was when I found I drew a great tag muley tag in NV this year. A guy who frequents this board was nice enough to spend 30 minutes on the phone with me and review maps. Nice fella. I'm going to hold out for a pig with 2 weeks to hunt it.

I love exploring and finding new areas. I still believe that an able bodied person can get away from 95% of the crowd by going in a few miles. I've shared my best archery elk spot with a good friend, he'll keep it private. Here is a picture. It's OTC and holds some good bulls if a person want's to work for it.
picture.php

I'll help most if asked with a limited, or once in a lifetime hunt if I have knowledge of the area...unless of course they're jack-asses. I won't share on OTC or general season hunts.

Last edited:
The same concern happens with fishing spots as well. That's why I've learned the scenic and mountain back-drops stay on the home files and a public picture has a nice boulder or hillside behind. If someone still recognizes it, then they've probably already been there anyway. That being said, somewhere in an Eastman's magazine is a picture with nice mule deer buck and a ski hill in the background. At that point could you blame anyone?

Never tell anyone your honey-hole... that's how friendships end. People get weird over elk. And if you want to post a picture on the internet that shows the entire terrain expect people to go there, and it's your own fault for being stupid. Most people don't have the ethics that you have... and people have no problems watching sites like this looking for free handouts..... why give it to them?

TRUST NO ONE!!!! :)

Last edited:
That being said, somewhere in an Eastman's magazine is a picture with nice mule deer buck and a ski hill in the background.

How about hunting shows??? Seems like I have seen one or two of them filmed right behind my house :eek:. Like, say, an OYOA production :D.

Actually, that never really bothered me. But, when I was growing up, we hunted a small section that was loaded with big elk. The parking lot was always empty. A few years ago, two hunting shows filmed on the private land, with all the scenery included. The next year, I couldn't even find a parking spot.

I think more people will find your honey holes by chance, or word of mouth, instead of tracking down a photo- but it kills you when they do.

My favotite deer area was ruined by Outdoor Life, Garth Carter and Monster Muleys back in 2005. All 3 of the mentioned sources decided to let the rest of the country in on the GMU at the same time and it went from a place you could buy a leftover tag the day before the season openned to now you need a point or two to guarantee the tag

Same thing for GMU 21. Use to take 1 resident point to draw now its like 4+ for Res and like 8 for Nonresident during the 2nd season and forget 3rd season

I prefer to head out by myself...
Never use others info, many spent years finding these spots...
I've recognized a few places where others had shot game in MT, would never enter my mind to horn in...
I like to go cross country until I find something to hunt...
Even when I do hunt with others, I don't go back in to those places they've shown...
MT is full of places to hunt with out being a boner about it...

I don't travel anywhere to hunt, so don't use other people's pictures to find hunting spots. If I catch someone hunting where my pictures are taken, they'll probably get shot for trespassing, since it's my property!!!!!!!!

I used to hunt a small wood lot years ago and killed a very nice whitetail buck theee. A neighbor saw me drag it out and next day there were four guys in there. That spot was ruined for years.
Funny, I never thought about someone trying to snipe a spot from someone else's picture until I read this thread. Me, I'd rather use the time to find a spot of my own.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back