Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

How did you meet?

The only consistent hunting partner that I have ever had, I met on the internet. We have done a number of elk hunts and a moose hunt together. I am generally a loner, as I do not want to have to worry about somebody else, or have them worrying about me.

Apart from family I've always been solo for the most part. As a freshmen in college, I never bothered to attempt to meet people. Never interested in most of their liberal views. But out duck hunting one morning solo, as I rowed my duck boat back in this swamp, I ran into another guy. Stopped and chatted for a bit at 3am in a smelly swamp. Fast forward 4 years and here we are in my final semester of school, he's married with 3 daughters. I'm 22 and he's mid 30s. We hunt together around here all the time. It was convenient because we was fairly new to the area (couple years) and I was only about a month into the new area. They invited me over several times for dinner so I could get to know his wife and kids better. Fast forward to now, and I hunt mostly with my girlfriend and my buddy. It's great being able to hunt with a significant other. My girlfriend is now a police officer in the town he lives in and now my buddy's family and her are pretty close also as she often stops by and says hi to the kids!

Met CPO through another elk specific forum (that no longer exists). I was looking for info as I had never hunted anything other than whitetails at that point. Upon my return from the desert and after talking a bit he invited me to his camp. It has been 7 years and all downhill since :)

The me I met through church, another is married to a friend of my wife’s.

My wife knew him growing up, but I met him at a client appreciation dinner held by a real estate broker I used to work for. She sat he and his wife with me and mine, because she supposed we'd get along. Deer hunting plans were hatched that night...I hated working for that broker and she cut me out of few commissions I earned as a new agent, but two of the clients we had have turned out to be great friends, so I let it slide.

I owned a few fishing boats on the Pacific and he was a regular customer. One of my captains (I hunted with) pointed him out one day and told me he was hunting waterfowl at a couple of the same places we were. We started meeting him before we set up our spreads on our spots each week and the friendship grew. Pretty soon our goose spreads were twice as big. I took him to my best honey hole for his first deer and got him into elk hunting. One hunt led to another and here we are over 20 years later. I got a better bargain than a hunting buddy I also got a best friend. We hunt mostly big game these days and him being a lot younger has paid dividends, younger and stronger is a good thing....

I hunt with a small handful of bros. Don’t really like picking a favorite. Some are are from highschool, some from college, a few ive met through mutual friends. Most are married with kids so I cycle through them throughout the season.

One of my favorite bros that I don’t hunt with anymore cause we moved far apart after college I met online. The first time we met in person was in a reclaimed gravel pit to hunt doves in the middle of nowhere. He was ex-military and had two other ex-military guys him. My buddy was legit but the two guys he brought almost shot me and one ended up shooting his dog on accident. Didn’t hunt with those other two bros after that.

We were both serving 25-life and had a fondness for digging deep holes. What started out as more a a need to eat and will to survive, has blossomed into quite a friendship with less and less looking over our shoulders these days.
must have got early parole

I hunt with a couple guys I used to work with, a few old friends from high school, and a couple guys I met while working. However, my favorite hunting partner is my wife.

Met him back in the late 70's while he was in the Air National Guard, found out we both grew up on either side of the NC/SC state line in the same area, clicked pretty well but our relationship was business so after a couple or years I was reassigned to other responsibilities and we lost touch.

Fast forward 38 years and one day out of the blue I got a call from him, we reconnected, we both needed a friend and buddy, his wife and mine hit it off and she's also a great crappie fisherwoman so everything seems to be working out fine. He has some property we're deer hunting on, I have some property with deer and turkey toward the coast, and it's a great shame that we allowed those 38 years to slip by but as we phase into old age we'll likely be there for each other when needed.

I met my longest hunting partner on the top of a fire tower in eastern Montana. I had heard that the new lookout at the tower was going to be a friend from high school, tall and shapely with long blond hair. Not long after fire season started I was headed up to the tower. Much to my disappointment I was greeted by a six foot five guy with a mustache. He was working on a painting of a mule deer and had a spotting scope set up to look for wildlife. We hit it off right away and have been friends ever since. I must say things likely worked out for the best even though he was not the the person I was hoping to find working the fire tower.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back