Caribou Gear

How did you meet?

Well I hunt for so many different species at different places so tuff to just have one hunting partner. Anyway one has been a best friend since 5 years old. Most of the others grew up or around our small town of less than 500 people.

My non-local hunting partners I met all almost exclusively through a platonic dating site called Hunt Talk.

Same here...back in 2015 I begged to be part of a certain spring hunt and have been hunting with many of those same guys every spring and fall since. I look forward to it more and more each year.

Locally I only hunt with 1 or 2 others...1 guy is a coworker we bird hunt and ice fish a bit but don't big game hunt. Another is a friend of a friend...he's a worthless hunter (seriously has the worst luck of anyone I know) and sometimes he gets us into death marches in search for elk only to see them in the worst spots imaginable.

Other than my kids and occasionally my wife, Hunttalk has provided most of my hunting partners. I did meet Theat at the local dump before realizing we were both on Hunttalk and we started hunting together.

I have been on some amazing adventures in the years since 2014 when a Californian named J.R. proposed a crazy idea that we have a get together open for anyone who wanted to come and would follow through.

There were a bunch of talkers that didn’t make it and enough doers that did to fill a camp. That one post was the genesis of dozens of shared adventures between us.

Met @jlmatthew through another hunting forum that was based in SoCal. He'd already moved to CO and I was thinking about moving to CO and was asking advice. I think that was 16 or so years ago. We don't get to share as many hunts as we used to.
Met another friend the same way, except he contacted me about moving to CO.

The rest I hunt with are family.

Met a few HT'ers but haven't hunted with them yet, there's a few more I'd love to meet.

What a great bunch of stories. This year I hunted with a friend that I met shooting (at) gophers with our bows. We were 10. Now we are 52. It was a great hunt. My No. 1 hunting partner just moved away. We met nearly 30 years ago, working in the same newsroom. He was a lefty vegetarian but interested in hunting for food. Now I think he has killed more elk than I have and I know he has killed more bighorns than I have. Both have been among the strongest friendships of my life. At Harvard they did a multi-decades study of what makes people satisfied in life. The No. 1 thing was strong relationships/friendships. More than health. More than wealth. In today's isolating world, I think hunters may have an advantage there.

I just got one of my brothers into archery hunting last year. My dad has been taking me for as long as I've wanted to go. My most consistent hunting partner started as a duck hunting buddy through mutual friends and now he is my main partner/ one of my best friends. And I also got my fiance interested into archery 4 years ago and now she is pretty obsessed with it. And she wanted to start hunting and fishing 3 years ago and I've taken her hunting every year since, including her first duck hunt this year.

Dinkshooter's wife: So you met Oak where? Look of uneasy and stinkeye......

Dink: on the WWW.

Dinkshooter wife: hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I literally had a very similar exchange with my wife when I first mentioned I was going chukar hunting with some guys I met online. She apparently couldn't contain herself because I got a bunch of texts from friends shortly there after saying things like "Don't die with your craiglist hookups, it ain't worth it", "Dude, you didn't have to whore yourself out online, I'd have gone hunting with you", and "When did you get into drugs?"

I literally had a very similar exchange with my wife when I first mentioned I was going chukar hunting with some guys I met online. She apparently couldn't contain herself because I got a bunch of texts from friends shortly there after saying things like "Don't die with your craiglist hookups, it ain't worth it", "Dude, you didn't have to whore yourself out online, I'd have gone hunting with you", and "When did you get into drugs?"
Well in their defense, JLS is pretty sketchy! Only thing redeeming about the fella is his dog.

I have been on some amazing adventures in the years since 2014 when a Californian named J.R. proposed a crazy idea that we have a get together open for anyone who wanted to come and would follow through.

There were a bunch of talkers that didn’t make it and enough doers that did to fill a camp. That one post was the genesis of dozens of shared adventures between us.

That one post changed my life forever. Thanks JR & everyone else involved!

Married my wife for her brother........few on this site as well.

My wife married me... "a nice nerdy hippy boy that didn't hunt"

Her brother and dad decided that was a situation that needed to be immediately rectified.

Hey, did you go to the bbq joint on Oak Lawn?

My wife and I took your advice, followed up by some tex mex on sat ;)

.... but that sounds like a colorful place to get some BBQ, although I’m sure more meat than I would be prepared for

My wife married me... "a nice nerdy hippy boy that didn't hunt"

Her brother and dad decided that was a situation that needed to be immediately rectified.

Looks like they molded you quite well.
My wife still give me shit about marrying her for her family and being able to hunt more and get out more. My response..... well if I gotta put up with you forever.........then silence.

Back