Yeti GOBOX Collection

How did you meet?

Ben Long

Always a good ice-breaker question: How did you meet your current or favorite hunting partner. (I mean, aside from family). Work? Church? Neighbors? On-line? Dumpster diving behind Cabela's?

Haven't done much hunting with the guy but we fish together all time. Met him at work a few years back. I got a job in a different department at work and at break time we just started shooting the breeze. We hit it off right away.

Was actually looking for an elk hunting partner. Joined RMEF and volunteered for a committee position. It took a while but found a member needing another guy to fill a camp.
Now 11 years on we’ve never missed a hunt together. Looking back we were both lucky, it’s kind of hard to find dedicated hunting pards. Especially those who want to drop the coin on out of state hunts year in and year out.
I consider myself blessed.

I worked with a flirty young woman who told me she was looking for a replacement for her boyfriend because he was always off hunting. We flirted some and I even drove her home a few times as it was on the way for me. I told her I was married and didn't cheat. We ended up being friends of a sort. She eventually introduced me to her boyfriend, we ended up being hunting partners. Now we both ignore her. :)

Always a good ice-breaker question: How did you meet your current or favorite hunting partner. (I mean, aside from family). Work? Church? Neighbors? On-line? Dumpster diving behind Cabela's?

I “only” have one hunting partner.....my wife! Is she family? :unsure: memtb

Met through a friend, the friend was a mooch and didn’t hunt or talk about hunting. 12 years later we haven’t missed a year and no longer friends with the mutual friend. Hard to maintain a friendship when they can’t talk hunting sometimes...

Ran track in college together. He taught me how to duck hunt and took me to his family deer camps. But I'm a bit of a whore when in comes to places and hunting partners. I also hunt with a bunch of coworkers and have just recently hunted with a couple of HT-ers. Typically I'm pretty selfish, I find a time and a place that works for me, then try to find someone to go with me.

My main hunting buddies other than my dad are his old work buddies, I have never missed a season now or gun hunting deer with any of them (or my dad) since I was 12- 25 years running now. They no longer work together but no matter, our group is our group and God willing it will continue until the day we can no longer physically do it. I realize how lucky I am to have this group- we all do and it’s talked about regularly. It’s a special group of guys and every year is awesome. We go on our trips out west together as well.

I recently started bringing one of my friends (met ice fishing with another mutual friend) into our group, and now he’s one of the crew too. It is nice to have someone my age, they are in their late 50s and now I don’t feel so bad about asking someone for help dragging one out of a crappy spot!

I met my hunting partner when my roommate hosted a house party for his graduate school classmates. She pretty much ignored me that night.... we'll be married in April

I hunt with a ton of folks, I have a long list of lifelong friends from all walks of life that I met through Waterfowl hunting the California public land refuge systems. The guy I hunt with the most, who is now a employee of mine and one of my best friends was actually one of the the most annoying people I ever came across at the time. Me and another buddy had set up on a great marsh and he set up on the adjacent pond and was shooting ducks on the swing coming in to our spread. Rather than go start a fight we just invited him over to our blind. After about the 6th duck coming in and us not picking up our gun and just letting him shoot I think he got the point that we were pissed and that we were just trying to get him his limit so we could send him off and finish our hunt. A few days later he invited me out to a flooded agriculture field he had permission on and we have been friends since. It wasn’t that he was trying to be a prick, just a young kid that hadn’t been taught ethics.

Currently I’m hunting a lot with a Couple college kids I met goose hunting when a landowner gave double permission and we ended up combining groups and hunting together.

Instagram, I’ve hunted elk with several people I met through Instagram, this year I will be hunting snow geese in Arkansas with a guy who I am going help get his Merriam in Montana to complete his turkey slam.

Went to different elementary schools and competed against each other in youth sports. In middle school, we went to the same school and had classes together, played on the same sports teams and became great friends. Continued friendship and hunted or fished most weekends through high school. Went to the same university, where I met an amazing young women. My buddy started to date my new girlfriends roommate, and soon they were also in a serious relationship. A couple years later, my buddy and his girlfriend got married in June. I married my girlfriend later that same summer. Over the last 29 years both families have grown and our now grown children are close friends and hunting partners as well.
Below is a picture of a buck my son shot while in high school. My hunting buddy and his son (middle of picture) were there on the hunt as well.
IMG_0893.jpg

Last edited:

Current hunting partners for 2020 are HT members. Not going to name them yet, but they will be identified when I post the actual hunt online. I am sure they will post their own pictures and stories as bragging rights when they get something knocked down. Going to be the first year I really took very many pictures.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back