Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

How Big?

EliAGrimmett

Don't know anything about elk. Found this bull scouting for antelope. Looked pretty good to me.

How big is this bull and how much will he grow?

IMG_0314.jpg
IMG_0319.jpg
IMG_0320.jpg
IMG_0315.jpg

Don't know much about elk myself but I'd say he is over that magic point where people lose their sences and sleep thinking about having a chance at it.

Mass 48
Beams 108
5ths 30
4ths 34
3rds 36
2nds 26
1st 24
I/s 38
344 was my first look and guess, but that seams to light.

I would say he won't add more than maybe 10 inches before he is done. He is pretty close to finished is my guess.

Great looking bull, I'm not real good at live scoring, but I know that I don't know anyone who wouldn't go crazy over that bull - see I already can't write a logical sentence just looking at those pics. Thanks for sharing.

I would guess 360 ish but that may be high. To me, he should look heavier being in velvet but he doesn't.

I'd say 350-360...and pretty much finished out, maybe a few more inches but not much.

First thought was about 350 no matter what he actually is I know id have a tough time calming down to take that shot.

Thanks guys, first guess was 350 but, now looking again that is a great bull. He's grown since this morning...

and the first guess didn't make him a great bull? you guys have some way too high of standards IMo of course ;)

Mudranger, he is a great bull by any standard. Just trying to guess a score, he beats the crap out of any bull I've seen in the woods.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm, what situation would he NOT be a shooter?

When you're hunting a premier unit in AZ and Stan (AZ402) tells you not to shoot......and hold out for something bigger. :D He and the boys he guides with have been known to do that a time or two. ;)

It's a big bull.....I'd guess around 353"......and definitely one I'd cast an arrow at. But I know a few people who have passed bulls like that and eventually arrowed a bigger one.........including one of the posters here. :cool:

Yep, a solid 350 class bull possibly pushing 360"-- An arrow would be flying! (grin)

ElkNut1

He has great length on everything, but for a bull still in the velvet he sure looks like he is very weak on mass everywhere! That said, sure most guys would shoot him!!!

Last edited:
This bull I'm with was taken last year by my buddy and net scored 357 3/8" and may score better than the long tined one in this thread because of his mass measurements.

Attachments

• 2010 Trip 087.JPG
    2010 Trip 087.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 339
In CO, he's a monster. In NM, he's a shooter. In AZ, depending on the unit, I would like to see him in 1 or 2 years with more mass. He's still a young bull with a lot of potential. On the White Mountain Reservation, he is definitely a pass.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back