Hottest opener ever?

I’ve been struggling with some indecisiveness on going to my elk spot this weekend. Excited that elk season is here, but also dread what would happen to the meat if I actually shot something.

Think I came to my conclusion last night baking while changing my oil after dinner. It’s too darn hot.

Then again, it felt pretty nice out this morning…

Might skip elk this weekend and try to punch an OTC WT-doe tag closer to home & truck instead. Also, college football.

I’m currently standing about 8000 feet in in my zone in SE Idaho. These elk rut notoriously early, day one is usually game on.

It’s been apathetic chuckles and a bugle or two. Another member of our camp saw 3 young bulls tootling around together in full velvet with no interest in cows. Rubs from this year are hard to come by when normally they’re everywhere. I don’t really feel great about killing one mid day over water in these temps so I’ll probably give it a rest for a week until it cools off.

Doesn’t seem like Ruffs or Blues had a good year either.

I’m currently standing about 8000 feet in in my zone in SE Idaho. These elk rut notoriously early, day one is usually game on.

It’s been apathetic chuckles and a bugle or two. Another member of our camp saw 3 young bulls tootling around together in full velvet with no interest in cows. Rubs from this year are hard to come by when normally they’re everywhere. I don’t really feel great about killing one mid day over water in these temps so I’ll probably give it a rest for a week until it cools off.

Doesn’t seem like Ruffs or Blues had a good year either.
On our scouting trip into the Little Belts this weekend we didnt see or hear a single grouse the whole day. That really worries me because after all...the grouse are there for those of us who fail on elk lol

I think wet, cold spring seasons are terrible for grouse populations. Kinda saw the writing on the wall in June.

Was expecting something totally different.
Thats Hot GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

It supposed to be 96 degrees in SW MT for opening day of archery season Saturday. Does anyone remember an opening day this hot?
Hard to believe an old Smith County boy is worried about getting too hot for the bow opener. I’ve worn short pants and t shirt with a bug tamer suit over it for early archery in the Sip. Go whack one and post pics.

I remember a back country 9/15 opener around 2011? were it was 90 degree plus in the Bob Marshall complex. A couple Oregon guys had a bull down that undoubtedly went to waste.

I will be driving to WY for a quick trip this weekend. Very limited circumstances that I would fling an arrow with the heat but it will be good to scout the area before heading back on Sept 16.

Red flag weather through tomorrow, then cooler weather next week.

I remember seeing 98 for archery opener in Beaverhead County in 2020.
That was a hot start. In my unit I had snow 2 days later...made for a fun morning tracking bugles in fresh snow. Really quieted things down too.

I'm taking the opener off for the first time in ages. I spent way too much time in the open in the Challis Volcanics above the Salmon River this week. Bordering on heat exhaustion even with a gallons of cool water. Next week I'll go out.

I think I'll stick around home and recharge my "kitchen pass" that got a bit depleted the last two weeks in Nevada. When we packed out the last pronghorn in Nevada it was 97F when we got to the truck. I've had my fill of those kind of temps, so I'll find something better to do until it starts cooling down mid-week.

Good luck to those tough and hardy souls who will be out this weekend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back