Hottest opener ever?

I will be driving to WY for a quick trip this weekend. Very limited circumstances that I would fling an arrow with the heat but it will be good to scout the area before heading back on Sept 16.

And here I go changing my plans. Between some things that came up at work, the long drive and the hot weather + wind on Sunday and Monday and I am going to stick around home and get some things done instead.

And here I go changing my plans. Between some things that came up at work, the long drive and the hot weather + wind on Sunday and Monday and I am going to stick around home and get some things done instead.
Not a bad plan

93 and some raindrops.
Green & water all over. Needle in a haystack and everything is a haystack.
I know some who are out there sweating. Hope they bump into one in the jungle.

Went out to peep my spot today and filled my first archery turkey tag! Turns out these things are all feathers 😅 shot a lot of arrows at a lot of turkeys in 3 years and they’ve all walked… I’m on a roll this season so far! Tried to prop my phone on a stump with a timer, mind the crappy photo. 😂

Edit: Hot. Very hot. No elk. Bugles 3 weeks ago. Silent today. Hottest opener ever, no doubt. 😂😅

Attachments

• 64230A42-0472-490B-BFEA-1B84E46DBA21.jpeg
    64230A42-0472-490B-BFEA-1B84E46DBA21.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
  • FBA84159-AA5A-4A71-A1B2-956FAB079D24.jpeg
    FBA84159-AA5A-4A71-A1B2-956FAB079D24.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Went out to peep my spot today and filled my first archery turkey tag! Turns out these things are all feathers 😅 shot a lot of arrows at a lot of turkeys in 3 years and they’ve all walked… I’m on a roll this season so far! Tried to prop my phone on a stump with a timer, mind the crappy photo. 😂

Edit: Hot. Very hot. No elk. Bugles 3 weeks ago. Silent today. Hottest opener ever, no doubt. 😂😅
Nice work!

Congrats on your turkey.
Good work.
Hope you gutted promptly.🤣

I don't bow hunt so will probably just go to the Fair. It's on in Hamilton. Look at the cows and vegetables. Eat some food way bad for me. Have a couple rifles to tune up for antelope opener. Good luck to those that go. Have a plan for the heat. mtmuley

It was 40 here this morning, about 3k elevation when I headed out for a 3 mile with the dogs. It's 96 now in the shade on the back porch. Catherine heard bugles this morning from up at the wallows, about a mile or so away. The wind was right but I would bet on a hopeful hunter, everyone around here knows that spot.

JCS and I were in the Breaks today , crazy hot , saw some archery camps and some more guys rolling in to camp , we didn’t hike any ridges because of the heat , would have liked to get some boots on the ground today but it was a scout around in the AC day , and tomorrow is gonna be hotter, yuck 🤮

I work all until Tuesday, and I think Wednesday I’m going to look for blue grouse and cutthroats at about 10,000 or so. Should be a little cooler up there.

Reactions: Hem
Hunted Shadetails till 10 am the last two days. Limited out by t en. Going to wait a week to chase elk. Hope it will be on by then.

I want to say somewhere about 2002 or 2003, 2nd rifle Colorado in unit 11/211, the area was so freaking hot I had a t-shirt on all day, and only a hoodie in the evenings and mornings. We fried and I felt extremely lucky to take a buck that was highly average or less 3x4. Have not seen anything like that since. Normally, I have to use my coolers to keep food stuff from freezing, but that year I had to use the coolers for their intended purpose and also had to make a few runs to town for ice.

Yesterday, I was working in Bakersfield, CA. I saw a fella fully dressed in camo whom I made small talk with, and asked what he was gonna go looking for. He was headed up into the hills with an archery deer tag. It was an honest 106 degrees outside as we spoke. Glad I'm not an archery hunter in CA!

I want to say somewhere about 2002 or 2003, 2nd rifle Colorado in unit 11/211, the area was so freaking hot I had a t-shirt on all day, and only a hoodie in the evenings and mornings. We fried and I felt extremely lucky to take a buck that was highly average or less 3x4. Have not seen anything like that since. Normally, I have to use my coolers to keep food stuff from freezing, but that year I had to use the coolers for their intended purpose and also had to make a few runs to town for ice.

Yesterday, I was working in Bakersfield, CA. I saw a fella fully dressed in camo whom I made small talk with, and asked what he was gonna go looking for. He was headed up into the hills with an archery deer tag. It was an honest 106 degrees outside as we spoke. Glad I'm not an archery hunter in CA! a deadhead found near Chico!
Yeah but look at this deadhead found near Chico… 105 degrees? Phooey! 🤪😅

Attachments

• 8BF62626-B3E8-4B4E-A261-30A63A9443DA.jpeg
    8BF62626-B3E8-4B4E-A261-30A63A9443DA.jpeg
    890.7 KB · Views: 65
Well lucky for anyone hunting western Montana, the smoke (and some cloud cover) has kept it about 20 degrees cooler than they were forecasting..

I intentionally didn't go out this weekend because of the forecasted heat. Damn weatherfolk.

Back