Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hottest opener ever?

That’s crazy. I’ve never hunted MT. Is that temp for elevation elk are at right now?

I feel like I have seen some this hot in the past, but I’ve also seen it snow.

It’s almost a cliché on here, but a lot can go wrong if you shoot an elk when it’s 97° (Helena on Saturday) out and doesn’t sound fun.
I was wanting to backpack into a hard to get to area, but I'm not doing that now. There's no way I could get an elk out before it spoils, not to mention how miserable the pack out would be.

It supposed to be 96 degrees in SW MT for opening day of archery season Saturday. Does anyone remember an opening day this hot?
2 or 3 years ago in Boulder it was 92 in the mountains and I had a spike bull in range by 8 am.. couldn’t shoot him but there was an elk where I expected one to be.. it’s gonna be a good year. Hopefully the fires stay off. To all the nonresidents- I’d be hunting the baron south facing slopes all day. You’re sure to find some elk 😂

Any elk on the shores of fort peck lake? I’ve got an idea!!
Not a bad idea if you have the appropriate permit. One of the biggest bulls I ever shot jumped in the lake after I arrowed him. Thought for sure he would sink but he made it back to shore and we were able to talk some passing boaters into loading him whole into the boat. Backed my truck down the ramp and rolled him into the bed. Bout sunk that 20ft lund...bu beat packing him out and it only cost me a case of beer.

^^^^^ @Elkwhisper
There is a current thread for your photos of this elk boat-out!

^^^^^ @Elkwhisper
There is a current thread for your photos of this elk boat-out!

The year was 1998...long before conveniences like camera phones and the little 110 camera I carried crapped out and I didn't even get trophy pics let alone a pack out pic. Best I got.....

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1661925855702.jpg
    FB_IMG_1661925855702.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 92
It’s been hot in Oregon for the opener, Nights had been cooling down but for the next several days it’s going to be very hot. Talked to two guys yesterday who had managed to get two into town the same day they shot them. Both had guys volunteer from other camps to help with packing. Sounds like a good story perhaps it’ll show up here.
Today it’s forecast to hit 102 at my elevation. Figure 3.3 degrees per 1000 feet, still going to be 90 up with the elk.

Personally, I wouldn't hunt elk during temperatures that hot unless I had stock, 4 wheeler access, or it was a short distance to a cooler with ice in my truck. The potential to loose meat in conditions that hot is very real. I would be a wreck if I had meat spoilage.

I have 3 elk and a deer tag open and its just to hot to hunt, looking like about a week from now temps return to seasonally normal if forecast is to be believed. Hopefully this heat wave ends soon its almost irresponsible to shot elk in 90degree temps, but hunters themselves need to be careful in conditions like these. Good luck and be safe guys!

Yup, 102/103 here this weekend. Probably mid 90’s up in my happy hunting grounds. Glad to have a couple of the younger guys from work wanting to tag along this year…

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back