Horseback Hunting??

Dennis:
It's very possible that we have crossed paths in the Mountains. Idaho....Colorado....or my home state Calif. in the Marbles....Snow Mountain wilderness.
What part do you mainly roam around in?

Craig

Paths

Well I don't get out too much,, my backyard is the Emigrant wilderness , that where we have fun volunteering for the FS doing trail work. We do our hunting in the 5 western states hauling our mules around wherever we can draw a deer or elk tag. i thought you might be connected to BCHC up north. I've been active in that org for many years.
Dennis

Path

Dennis
We do most of our hunting here on the ranch. Blacktail and hogs.
We go out of state bout every other year trying to get my wife a nice Mulie. I wouldn't mind going every year. I use to guide Mule deer hunts in Nevada. We are going to Montana Nov. 2011 for Mule deer.
I know several people that belong to BCH
I can't send pictures on this thing, but I can by my e-mail. I've seen some of your good pictures that you put on here. You can contact me by my e-mail if you want at
[email protected]

Craig

After riding in the mountians with a friend for many years I bit the bullet a couple years ago and aquired 3, two to ride and I rescued a mare headed for the packers and she became my packer. Rodeo's we've had a few, mostly on our yearly trail ride when you get 12-20 people and 16-26 horses. When our little group of three hit the hills with a couple pack horses we cover some awesome country moving fast and light. Nothing beats dropping 2 elk a couple miles from the trucks at 2:30 in the afternoon and loading elk and horses in the trailers and trucks at 8:00pm.

ride111.jpg

scabbard1.jpg

scabbard2.jpg

scenery103.jpg

5-3.jpg

trailride2008194.jpg

1113.jpg

trailride2008559.jpg

Dad had to do that once and it was like he had to kill his best friend. I think that back then was when my brother and I learned to cuss. We still have some of dad's battered and bruised stoves and lanterns. The one thing I wish we still had was the cast griddle, but it didn't make it back on one trip. We are in the process of going through the saddles, tack, but concerned about leather condition on most of it. I am thinking of just hanging on to his old sawbuck pack saddle because it is just so nice of wood.

Don't get rid of it. There is a lot you can do with old leather even if it means having replacements cut and tooled. Start with some good quality cleaner and a conditioner. As for horse hunting I think it gives a better view and you always have a friend to talk to. Even if they don't talk back. I wish I could take mine out more often. Maybe this year.

I noticed in this thread two different styles of carry rifles so a question, but perhaps has been posted before. When you carry your rifle in the scabbard on your horse are you a butt to butt, or butt to head and why? I was always a butt/head just cause that's how we were taught.

I always felt a little more comfortable with the butt angling up toward the saddle horn. I guess I'm worried about it getting ripped out backwards by trees or going up a steep hill. My brother has his like those posted here with the butt towards the butt. I'm sure it's just preference and that it would be hard to really lose it out the back. I also figured it would be quicker to get it out if it is up by my hands.

I've only carried mine with the butt of the rifle towards the butt of the horse. Don't know why but that's how my dad always did it and so I grew up doing it that way as a kid. Never had an issue with it falling out or anything like that. A good scabbard takes care of that. A horse will rub it against a tree however! Only had 1 do that but luckily it was a synthetic stock.

Some beautiful country, is that in Alberta?

You bet I do all my mountian riding from the northwest corner of Waterton / Glacier National Park all the way to The Crowsnest Pass and back and forth between South east BC and Southwest Alberta crossing the Continental Divide in many different locations. I now live to head to the high country. From my door step to the horses is 15 minutes. From the time we load the horses until we unload is an hour and 15. From there anywhere from 3 to 12 hours to our many camps spread out in that country.

5-6.jpg

1-5.jpg

3-3.jpg

paradise22-1.jpg

camp6.jpg

111117.jpg

We've always carried the scabbard butt to butt and yes we have had the odd rifle hit the dirt after being pulled out going through some alder choked trails. Making sure all the sling is tucked into the scabbard cures this pretty well. I went to a completely closed synthetic scabbard. With the small end forward you can use the toe of your boot to tuck it closer to the horse when the going gets tight.

I have always ridden but to head but I think it is just because that's the way I was taught.

I bought a couple of the Trailmax Scabbards for our New Mexico Bear Hunt. I liked the thing alright, anything is better than having a Rifle bounce off the spine for a few hours! John
picture.php

Damn! That's why I like you all. Everybody voices their opinion without flaming out on somebody. Have taken a few hits because my testosterone level is not what it used to be. However, in later years I have come to the point that I know I can't eat horns so am more of a meat hunter and somebody who just enjoys being in camp for a week. Knock yourself out, because in two years (god willing I will retire) then it's another story:D

DRAFTSTUD I use that scabbard now and I found the only problem it has and it's easy to over come is moisture on the rifle. I carry a cloth to wipe the rifle down if it"s damp out. They don't breath real good and a good oiling before hand and wiping occasionally stops the dreaded surface rust from appearing. My lesson learned after a 5 day ride.

DRAFTSTUD I use that scabbard now and I found the only problem it has and it's easy to over come is moisture on the rifle. I carry a cloth to wipe the rifle down if it"s damp out. They don't breath real good and a good oiling before hand and wiping occasionally stops the dreaded surface rust from appearing. My lesson learned after a 5 day ride.

Heads up on that! I wonder if you put a tarp Grommet in a couple of places to allow it to breath if that would take care of that? The Grommet Kit I have comes with a punch aand the two piece grommets. John

PB
Assuming that moisture is coming from sweaty horse/mule and is cold outside or because is damp/wet outside?
Just wondering if a canvas shop could cut a slit, say 1" wide 4-5" long, whip the edges and just sew a flap over the top? I just can't see how a couple of grommets would let it breath enough.

I think Butt Back is the easiest to load and unload and has the least chance of snagging on brush and branches. This pic of my dad, shows how high we like the rear portion of the scabbard to prevent losing the gun out the back. Nothing below the belly line.

Also I will remove the shoulder sling with quick release swivels when I put it in the boot.

Attachments

• sept07 070.jpg
    sept07 070.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 499
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back