Honeymoon elk hunt MT

leeroy

Hey guys,
New member here, My wife and I drew the general elk license in Montana. We will be archery hunting. We have two weeks to hunt and were wondering if the first two weeks of season Sep 5-19 or from Sep 15-30 would be better? We were also wondering where to go? We were thinking up around White Sulphur Springs or else down around Dillon. We aren't afraid to walk and are looking for something bigger than a spike basically. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Here's a tip: I would go the later 2 weeks, that's what I do every year in Idaho, as far as place's I would pick a unit that doesn't have alot of trails and throw a dart and that's where you should start scouting/boots on the ground, good luck, hopefully this won't be your only post,
Matt

I'll have to admit that hunting would of been the last thing on my mind for the honeymoon.:) 20yrs of being a good boy I wouldn't of given a 400 inch bull the time of day.

Now on to your question I think with that range of time you mentioned you will hit good hunting either way. There are the risks of the rut being slow early in the month but then you have full moon to deal with later so I think it's a wash.

I stared hunting the Dillon area as a teenager. Coming from a family that doesn't hunt, i had no idea where to start. So when i got to town and immediately got pulled over, i thought ide ask the sheriff for some advice. He told me plain and simple "the elk are everywhere". I thought i was in for a great hunt... That season i only saw 3 cow elk in a week of hunting. I was confused and irritated that someone would tell me the elk are everywhere when they seemed not to be. I continued hunting around there, and over the years i have learned the area some. I have learned the elk are everywhere, and can be nowhere all at the same time. What the sheriff told me was correct, there are elk in every area around Dillon, but not in every part of every area, and the next day they may not be where they were the day before. Don't hunt them like deer or you will be disappointed.

I have never hunted White Sulfur Springs, but there are surely elk there too. (some great looking country) I can confidently say both areas have elk larger then a spike, Just put your miles in and you will find them eventually.

Conventional wisdom says go later, as the rut should peak...most other guys will think that too. Going the earlier portion of your dates may allow you to find less pressured and call weary bulls. You get a touch better lunar cycle too.

Congratulations on having a wife who would go elk hunting on her honeymoon.
Good luck on your hunt.

Call the biologist out that way and see where he thinks are some good areas to hunt.They are pretty helpful out that way.Tell him your willing to walk a ways in and he may have some good options for you.

The more specific the better. Every little bit helps

I guess by now you have realized that "where" is a touchy subject here. When you post things like that here, everyone with a google account can get that info as well. Call biologist, game wardens, taxidermist, or anyone in an area that may have an "interest" in telling you locations. You may get help here from time to time on locations if people can tell you have done your homework and aren't looking for an easy answer. Good luck and stay on this forum because it has a lot to offer from people much much more experienced than me. I've made the "where" mistake too, so don't fret.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

I have a lot of advice on this and none of it will point you to a big elk but you will get lucky.
1. Bring a big weather proof tent. Big enough to stand in and sit with fold up chairs.
2. Go to town every other day or so and hit the hot springs or at least a hot tub.
3. If it rains hunt the day then get warm and dry and recharged. Do not let yourselves get burned out or overwhelmed and leave early.
4. Make some good tourist stops and make it a memorable trip that will instill a lifetime love affair with elk hunting.
5. Pull out some special gift like elk necklace or durable but unique gift that will last but she will like.
Have fun and make it a great trip.

Hey, nobody offered that to the guy with the Valle Vidal tag. mtmuley

This is true but then again this guy didn't start insulting us "internet trolls" on his second post because we didn't respond fast enough for his liking.

Thanks for your input. Been doing some research on here and see that I should have introduced myself first. I'm a little slow sometimes when it comes to introductions. Anyway I grew up bowhunting whitetail in Iowa, went to school in Nebraska where I gave mule deer and antelope a try. Although I didn't have any success I loved the spot and stalk type hunting. After school I was blessed enough to find a job guiding mule deer, antelope, and whitetail in south east Montana. I then harvested my first antelope two years ago, my first mule deer last fall and have seen the diversity and hunting opportunities Montana has to offer.

I met my wife at school a couple years ago, started dating January of 2014, proposed a year later and got married just over a month ago. God has blessed me with a beautiful wife that not only allows me to take time to hunt but also enjoys doing it with me. It was even her idea to go on an elk hunt for our honeymoon! We currently live in South Dakota.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot on this site and hope to be able to give back before too long.

Attachments

• 11-14-13 Buck 015.jpg
    11-14-13 Buck 015.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 825
  • 857681_10203883888195669_241315510416651870_o.jpg
    857681_10203883888195669_241315510416651870_o.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 743
  • 10626313_10203633327251802_1717220826888165034_o.jpg
    10626313_10203633327251802_1717220826888165034_o.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 822
Now that is a good introduction, buy her a pink camo bow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back