Caribou Gear

Honest opinion on taking the month off work for elk season? Please help!!

I am also on the go for it bandwagon. I somehow saved all through college and grad school, took a job straight out of school, worked for about 7 months, then took off to travel the world with my backpack for two months (Fiji, NZ, SE Asia, Mexico). The memories and experiences from that trip are more than worth the money I spent on it, as well as the wages lost. You have done well for yourself and saved with intent. Use it!

Go for it! You are almost in your prime.....Making great money, fit, single--- life comes fast....and it changes our thought pattern. With your mindset and dedication you will be top dog one day, running your own outfit.

Go hunt, never look back.

Chris.

You are working hard at this. Do not run out of steam before the season starts.

Wish you success and with your preparation, it is a good bet.

Just do it! I am way jealous at my age to even think of missing such an adventure (as I did).

I was on a refinery stack just yesterday with an awesome view of the Beartooths. It was a great day at work. I could repeat that for the next month and still not remember it a year from now. I would never forget a month of elk hunting...

Don't even think twice about it. There will always be work. I cant tell you how many times Ive thought about what I "should" have done before I got married and now with 4 kids some of those options just aren't available to me. If you were my son and he had put himself in the position you have, I would push him out the door to go and then beg for him to take me with him.....

Last edited:
do it. work will always be there. might be harder to get a certain times, but it will be there.

You've heard the overwhelmingly positive suggestions to go. I would recommend one caveat. If you go, be at peace with your decision. You don't want to spend a month worrying about finances, work, girlfriends, etc. 30 years ago I was the CFO of a public company. I was working long hours with good money and a lot of offers. When we merged, I had to decide if I wanted to continue that career path or step off and have more family time. I decided to step off. While I miss the money, I don't regret it. You don't have the family responsibilities now. Your not risking your job and it is in your plan. If you go, don't look back. Take it all in and savor the time.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Like others have said; do it while your young and you can. You never know where life can take you and you might miss the only chance you have to go.

If you can afford it and your wife will let you go for it. I dream of a month long hunting trip. Only problem is I generally fill my tags in 10 days or less so I would have to do like Randy does and scout first half and hunt second half so my hunt aint over so early.

I am in the minority...Work your ass off and invest heavily in the stock market. In 25 years you can go on all the hunts you want with the money you bankrolled through compound interest. There is always a balance in life between work and fun, but 10k turns into big money when invested properly over time. Also, I don’t know many guys who spend 28 days elk hunting and then need two more 2 to put a tag on one.

Not even a question. When you are committed with the obligations of family, etc. you will be grateful your planning and hard work put you in a position to go do this. I would put your bow in your truck, leave your phone at home on the table for a month, and call it the best year of your young life. Good luck in the hunt.

You really can't say it any better than that.

I take November off every year and sleep real well at the end of each night. You will too.

Funny question. 5 years ago i was in the same boat as you, fiscally responsible, single, Hvac piepfitter, good income but I had a mortgage. I worked my ass off for a family shop, got my license's than quite. I than took 7 weeks off to hunt the west. 2 elk, 4 deer and 3 antelope later i felt rejuvenated and ready to go back to work. I look back at that adventure now married and family life in full sight and thank myself for it. You wont regret it.

Given the details you've provided - I'd jump in the truck and take off. You're in a great spot for 21. Enjoy the time prior to major family/professional obligations. Saving for a house is a phenomenal goal in your 20s. Once you've hit that one, I'd make my next one setting all that you can aside in some sort of investment account. With pretty limited risk, you'll beat inflation and still make 3-5% on top. Good luck in September.

OK so we have decided you should do it. But how you gonna structure it? Do you have multiple tags to fill? Things other than hunting you want to do in Elk country?

I think about some of the tags i have had over the years and the way I felt so worn out after just a couple days and multiple close calls or days when the elk aren't responding and are bedded in the deep dark timber. If I had yor situation, I would recommend:

Schedule some time as you travel to and from to explore towns and other points of interest .

Schedule a day off from hunting every 5 days or so. Wash clothes in town and get a restaurant meal.

Socialize with some people. You could make potential career or hunting contacts for the future,

If you feel burned out, take some time off. Mental stress has pushed more guys off the mountain than physical.

Funny question. 5 years ago i was in the same boat as you, fiscally responsible, single, Hvac piepfitter, good income but I had a mortgage. I worked my ass off for a family shop, got my license's than quite. I than took 7 weeks off to hunt the west. 2 elk, 4 deer and 3 antelope later i felt rejuvenated and ready to go back to work. I look back at that adventure now married and family life in full sight and thank myself for it. You wont regret it.
That’s awesome man that’s a once in a lifetime trip and I’m sure the things you saw and learned we’re worth it, thanks for the response!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back