Honest opinion on taking the month off work for elk season? Please help!!

The fact that you’re worried about it tells me your head is in the right place. Had my opportunity to do the same thing 37 years ago when I left the Corps. Didn’t take it and now all these years later, I’m retired and planning on 60 days elk hunting this year. Do it! Then go back and save for that house. You’ll enjoy the following hunting trip more without a mortgage hanging over your head.
You wouldn’t happen to be on turn around at a Marathon refinery?
Thanks for the input I appreciate you all taking the time to read and respond to my lengthy post. I’m working at husky oil refinery in Lima Ohio, I live close by a marathon though in catlettsburg Kentucky

Do you have a good tag or is this just general units. I'd do the month on a good tag - great work ethic nice to see!

I agree that if you can go with no repercussions at work, then do it while you can, life is short. There are far more experienced and wise folk in finance than I but if it were me, I would hold back what you need to put the required down payment on a house and invest the remaining. At around 3% or so for a mortgage, that is cheap money, and if invested well, your cash will earn far more than that.

I will add one thing make sure you are investing at least half your money in an 401k and or Roth IRA and then put about 40 percent in a long term mutual fund. Vanguard has a Star fund which is a good intro mutual fund. Then if you feel like the 10 percent left over is enough of a pile of money then go hunting for a whole month if not hunt two weeks and keep building that money. When I was single I used to hunt two weeks minimum every year. So you owe it yourself as a hunter to get out there and do it.

Safe to say you'll probably never have the same opportunity as responsibilities begin adding up--spouse, children, mortgage, etc. Do it while you're young. I'm 31 and wish I had done the same thing 10 years ago.

You absolutely should go.
I’m 32 with a wife and an 8 month old. It is tough finding a long weekend to hunt, let alone a week.
You have plenty of years to make money. You will not be able to take a long stint for hunting once you marry/have kids/work commitments. Do it now and take pictures. Better yet, try to invite different friends to join you for a week here, week there. You’ll always remember those times. I don’t remember what happened a year ago at work.

It is up to you but if I were you I would also be hesitant to take the entire month off. The economy is doing well right now, next year it may not. If you are not burned out on overworking, taking 2 weeks off would be plenty for me. Next year you could be between jobs and have 2 months off work. Continue to save money now so you have freedom in the future.

If your boss tells you to take as much vacation time as you can afford with no bad consequences I say go for it. You are very young right now and who knows what the future will bring.
Also kudos to you for being a union member. Being a union member for all 34 years of my career enabled me to retire at the ripe old age of 52.

Man to be in my twenties again. I think you should go regardless of your financial situation. I was broke as a joke in my twenties and hunted my ass off, I was single and never once regretted it.

You absolutely should go.
I’m 32 with a wife and an 8 month old. It is tough finding a long weekend to hunt, let alone a week.
You have plenty of years to make money. You will not be able to take a long stint for hunting once you marry/have kids/work commitments. Do it now and take pictures. Better yet, try to invite different friends to join you for a week here, week there. You’ll always remember those times. I don’t remember what happened a year ago at work.
I love my job, but Cheesehead's post is right on the money.

Last edited:
Your head’s in the right place. You’ll be fine if you hunt, and you’ll be fine if you go to work.

The economy will be fine for another 12 months, but it’s anybody’s guess once we get within six months of the next election. I worked my butt off in my 20s and saved what I could. I didn’t go on my first elk hunt until I was 35. As luck would have it, I arrowed my first and only bull on the second day of the hunt, which happened to be my 36th birthday. My only regret was not chasing elk sooner.

My wife is a penny-pincher and we’ve got two great kids. Haven’t had a mortgage payment in a few years, and if we never save another cent, we’ll be fine in retirement. I’ve been with my current company 10 years, and the problem is I get three weeks of vacation to burn each year. While it could definitely be worse, three weeks doesn’t cover much between family trips and outdoor pursuits.

I met a guy a few weeks ago on a walleye trip who took a few years off to guide salmon trips in AK in his 20s. He had a lifetime of great memories that I can only dream of doing now. I’ve been to AK twice and had some awesome times, but I can’t help wonder if I should’ve “gone for it” back before I entered the world of working stiffs.
Gramps always said, “If you’re 2/3s good with it- do it. Waiting around until you’re 100% certain will waste too much precious time. Do it when you’ve got the time and the ability. By the time you wait until you’ve got the time and the money, your body may not work like you want it to.” He’s been gone more than twenty years, and I still remember those words.

I’ve got very few regrets in life, and going on a hunting trip has never been one of them. Good luck with whatever you decide, but if you go hunting- keep us updated!!

Local577bowhunter,,,, As has been stated, you seem to be a very level headed young gun. You also seem to have a burning desire to just go have an adventure! I will echo the advise that most of the good folks here have wrote, GO ON YOUR ADVENTURE!

Thanks a lot guys for all the awesome responses, I’m really surprised at the number of you who took the time to read and respond to my lengthy post and I appreciate it. It’s encouraging seeing so many of you encouraging me to chase the dream. I completely agree and understand every opinion posted whether it be for or against the month off work.
I do want to answer a couple of the questions brought up by some of the responses...as far as the duration of this job goes I’m supposed to be here 12-16 months as stated but there is a good chance it will be longer, i was made a foreman within my first month here so chances are I’ll be here as long as there are still travelers here. About future employment, being a pipefitter we are temporary employees anywhere we go, that being said every time I go on a job I know my time is limited and I plan financially for that, working the trade allows us to travel and work all the hours we want so barring nothing crazy in the economy happens work is not a concern. (I definitely understand things happen and work gets slow but I can’t go through life hoarding money and waiting to chase dreams because of fear of something happening in the economy)
Someone mentioned investing, I pay about $14 an hour into pension through the union. Also pay $5.50 per hour into an annuity which I can cash out each year, Rather than cashing it out I’ve been rolling it into a Roth IRA, I think the Roth will grow more than the “low risk” plan the union puts our annuity In to.
The more I think about the more I realize that those extra two weeks off is really not even a question like most of you said, when it comes down to it after taxes I’ll be losing about $3400, if $3,400 makes or breaks me with all the hours I work than I’m obviously in the wrong line of work to begin with. You all have helped me justify and feel a lot better about taking the month off and living the dream
I know my posts have been somewhat rambling and I’m sorry for that I just think i should take the time to respond to those who took the time for me, thanks guys!

You are wise beyond your years, young man. If you stick to your stated principles regarding work and finances, you will be well served for life. You didn't mention anything in your above post that I would suggest doing differently. I started investing in a Roth in aggressive funds at age 16 and can attest that the compound growth over time is substantial, as long as you don't panic and move it out when the news headlines start going crazy.

Back