Honest opinion on taking the month off work for elk season? Please help!!

Do it! Go hunt man! I was in a pretty similar situation as you. Grinding at the railroad 270 hours a month during my early twenties. Money was great but I was afraid to spend it and now at 30 I look back and kick myself for staring at the Colorado brochure every spring saying I'll do it next year.

8 years after I started researching an elk hunt I'm finally going this year. Don't be like me!

I'm in my late 30s and the only regret that I have is not hunting more. I wish I would have started hunting out west sooner. I went on my first elk hunt at 27 and moved to Montana at 37. Wish I would have done both things years earlier. Do it while you can. You will never regret it.

I had a sheep tag once and hunted 29 days in 6 weeks and killed it with 2 days left, so do it if you can.

Here is another one telling you to do it. I have spent the better part of the last 25 years doing things I didn't want to in places I didn't want to be. I didn't get introduced to hunting until 15 years ago. I have struggled to find time and $$$ to hunt and have missed more than half of those years. Finally I am making a move to remedy that this year BUT it has come at a cost. The soon-to-be 50 year old me simply can't do what the 20 something me could have. I have at least got my money right so I will be able to do some stuff I want to but it will be different and tempered with family responsibilities. Go and don't look back.

I argue differently and somewhat from some experiance. I would say take a week maybe, month no! Your not even done with apprenticeship.... they took you on to be trained be there for it! I missed many complete seasons in my 20's but by 30s i had earned right and respect in my job and could do what i wanted and i keep eye on longterm prize... i took a pension retirement in my early 40s moved to WY built my families dream home. Now work a simple job for fun money (tags/rifles..etc), and told them when hired I WILL NOT work during hunting season. Took 2 1/2 months off without pay and 3 weeks with pay last year. I will say the hunting time off is VERY common here just not on my scale...lol. its easy for everyone to say do it but your longterm sucess is only your decision do whats right for your future! That may be going hunting this year but it could be your own company based in montana in few years...think about it

I turn 50 this season and I’m taking 3 weeks off to do my 1st bow hunt , and I can’t wait , wish I had not missed out hunting when I was in my 20’s and 30’s but I did , none of us know our future, time is always something you have until you don’t , make the most out of the opportunities you get and go for it !!!! The pain of regret will always last longer than any other , like myself and others have already posted , don’t be like us and say I wish I would have started sooner

Same answer but from financial angle, though I agree with all prior replies. You make a higher wage with the expectation of taking unpaid leave. It's part of the deal. Also, you aren't giving up the full 10 grand (or whatever amount). You would pay 24% income tax plus 7.65% FICA.

So instead of giving up a months pay, you save over $3,000 in taxes!

Enjoy the hunt! Wanted to take a month off after college to boat down the Mississippi River. Didn't do it and now never will.

I just submitted a leave request for half of September. The only reason it wasn’t the whole month was so I could save some leave for Christmas.

All I can say is if you have saved the money to take a trip that you will remember for the rest of your life, then you deserve the trip of your life. We work hard day in and day out to set a few dollars aside in the hopes to one day afford a dream. You deserve to spend your vacation time and a few dollars doing something you know you are going to enjoy. Good luck and happy hunting.

While I agree with you mentality of trying to avoid a mortgage, I think it's a good idea to go on your hunt. You are working crazy time already at 6-7 days per week. Once you do have a wife and kids, taking a month off to go on a hunting trip becomes far less likely (even if you have no mortgage), so now is the time to do it if you're going to do it.
I have the opportunity to make significantly more money than I do if I were to go to a different employer, but that would require me to work many more hours and thus have less time for myself and my family. I've made the decision to accept less money so that I can actually spend time enjoying the things I like doing rather than waiting until I'm too old to enjoy or be able to do them.
That said, once your trip is over, get back to it! It's a great idea to save up as much as you can before buying a house!

The fact that you’re worried about it tells me your head is in the right place. Had my opportunity to do the same thing 37 years ago when I left the Corps. Didn’t take it and now all these years later, I’m retired and planning on 60 days elk hunting this year. Do it! Then go back and save for that house. You’ll enjoy the following hunting trip more without a mortgage hanging over your head.
You wouldn’t happen to be on turn around at a Marathon refinery?

I’m in a similar situation at 28 right now but with paid time off limited to just over 3 weeks. Being married and having the responsibilities of dogs at home doesn’t allow me to take off and go for a month at a time. Most of my trips are limited to 10 days or less right now. My suggestion is go hunt but if you kill something in the first or second week head back to work. You have earned vacation time but don’t forget about your goals, keep working hard and you will have a bright future.

Take the time off my man! Some of my most memorable hunts are from my twenties, taking weeks off at a time to chase critters in the woods. I too find myself getting in workaholic mode, even to the point of feeling guilty taking time off. As others have said on here, you will never regret a trip like this looking back on it.

To answer your other question about what would I have done in my twenties differently, read this

https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Path-...th+jl+collins&qid=1556540591&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Compounding interest is one hell of a thing!

Last edited:
Torn on this one. Was in the trades for years.
I'd say finish your apprenticehip,as there are no sure things in life, and that one, is almost done.
Next year you could be waiting on the list for work....and work conditions/places change.
I had just been a JM for 2 yrs in 70's & had bought a place,when the bottom fell out of const. work for the next 5 yrs. It was very tough to find any work. Hunt time was easy to find.
Was working for a fish company & took my contactors lic. in the lull. I only hunted locally.
My next chance to go on a hunt trip was almost 10 yrs later in the next lull & I spent a couple months hunting & fishing in BC.
Fast forward to 20yrs as a Park Ranger & I had to put in for vaca's (hunts) in Jan. & hope I would draw & WE did not have plans, that I never planned on.
So I'm torn.
Part of me says go for it IF you can finish and have a job when you get back.
Part of me says get your ass to work & out of your folks place...., I left at 17.

They told you that you could expect to be there 12-16 months. What happens after that?? I would finish where I'm at with that great job and hunt next season. You are only 21 and have many years of hunting ahead of you and possibly only a few months to make this kind of money?? What are your plans after this one is done? Thats the great unknown. Take the sure thing first. But thats me. I worked all my life and always wanted to hunt but because of work could not get away in the fall of the year to hunt. Got lucky and retired early and now at 61 hun in the fall. I wish I could have done it sooner in life, but I have a great home and am financially set for life and everything paid for, no debt. Can I afford anything--heck not but I can and do hunt every fall 2-3 trips. I don't do guided anymore, I did that for a learning curve for a couple years then on my own. It's a very tough decision you will have to make. I congratulate you on your work ethics, most guys your age could not handle what you are doing.

I would take 2 weeks this year to hunt elk, keep making good money, finish your apprenticeship, and then take a month off to hunt elk after you finish your apprenticeship.

A month of hunting? That is a damn good start, done it many times, regretted none of them.

Lost income because of it but never a job, even got a raise a couple of times upon returning.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back