Caribou Gear

Honest opinion on taking the month off work for elk season? Please help!!

Sounds like you've been making wise financial decisions up to this point. I think you'd probably be fine to take a month off. The only thing I'll add is you didn't mention whether you had something lined up for after that month off? Would you be returning to the same job or have another job lined up for once your hunt is over? Or will you be looking for work once your month of hunting ends? If you don't have something lined up for afterward, a month off work can quickly turn into 3 or more. If you do have something lined up, have fun hunting.

I wish I had the clarity back in my 20's that you have of financial planning & thinking.....

as others have said: no wife, no kids? then go, tomorrow is never guaranteed.

one day life will get in the way and all the moving non essential parts take over

Go for it. I was in the hills all the time when I was young. Now I wish I had been in the hills more when I was young. Now I have work and family commitments and my knees are no longer what they were 30 years ago. Go while you can and have your health.

Sounds like you've been making wise financial decisions up to this point. I think you'd probably be fine to take a month off. The only thing I'll add is you didn't mention whether you had something lined up for after that month off? Would you be returning to the same job or have another job lined up for once your hunt is over? Or will you be looking for work once your month of hunting ends? If you don't have something lined up for afterward, a month off work can quickly turn into 3 or more. If you do have something lined up, have fun hunting.
That’s a good point and something to think about in the future, fortunately though this time I will be returning to the same job for several more months afterwords, actually the work we are doing now is leading up to a shutdown starting October 1st and is scheduled to be 70-80 days of 7-12’s, therefore the month following my trip will quickly recoop the last month off

No wife or kids? Pack a bag, grab your tags and go hunt. Odds are your life will fill with other responsibilities soon and you won't be in a spot to be able to do this again for decades. I'm speaking as the pushing-50 engineering director of a decent consulting firm (basically the pointy-haired boss in Dilbert) with three kids whose ages all end in "teen." If you're like most folks your age, life is about to get exponentially busier in your next couple decades. That's a good thing, but time to hunt gets re-prioritized. Lots of people around me do what you're contemplating to go river-running or skiing without putting nearly that much thought or worry into it. Just post lots of pics so us old farts can live vicariously through you!

Don't ask me - I've taken 1 to 6 months off to hunt for at least 20 seasons now. I call myself unresponsible, not irresponsible. I'm 60 - Wouldn't change a thing...

Presume there is a benefit to putting the money into an annuity before rolling into a roth? Definitely right to move to a Roth. The risk of your return not keeping up with inflation is just as important of a consideration as the risk of investing in stocks. Lot's of Life Cycle retirement year based index funds that make it easy these days.

Presume there is a benefit to putting the money into an annuity before rolling into a roth? Definitely right to move to a Roth. The risk of your return not keeping up with inflation is just as important of a consideration as the risk of investing in stocks. Lot's of Life Cycle retirement year based index funds that make it easy these days.
Our annuity is paid into hourly and we are required to leave it in the unions annuity plan for one year before rolling it over if that’s what we choose to do. That’s the reason for having it in the annuity in the first place before Roth

Dude, if I could I would. If you can, yes you damn well should. Do what YOU want to do. It's not necessarily irresponsible at all to take a month for hunting. I am taking 12 days this year myself. As long as you can get the bills paid and all that and keep up yer family responsibilities, go for it.

I would attempt to get two tags if you plan to take the whole month off. That way you’ll be less reluctant to shoot a bull in the first few days if you get that lucky. Not that you couldn’t have a blast with the rest of your month either way.

I would attempt to get two tags if you plan to take the whole month off. That way you’ll be less reluctant to shoot a bull in the first few days if you get that lucky. Not that you couldn’t have a blast with the rest of your month either way.
Actually I’ll be hunting an otc unit in Idaho which allows me to buy two archery tags and a deer tag so that’s what the plan is, would love to put down a cow to fill the freezer then hold out for a bull and carry the deer tag Incase I come across a good one. I carried a deer tag a few years ago and just happened to find a 190” mule deer my last evening there!

Actually I’ll be hunting an otc unit in Idaho which allows me to buy two archery tags and a deer tag so that’s what the plan is, would love to put down a cow to fill the freezer then hold out for a bull and carry the deer tag Incase I come across a good one. I carried a deer tag a few years ago and just happened to find a 190” mule deer my last evening there!
Excellent!

Hey man it sounds like you have a good head start on reaching your goals. If one of your unmet goals is to hunt for the entire month of September...I'd say you've earned it. You will never regret the time you spend hunting, only the time missed in the field. Someday much sooner than you expect, your life will be filled with responsibilities that reduce time in the field dramatically and being the responsible guy you are the choice to go hunting will also get much harder to make. I used to spend every spare moment in the mountains...now I spend most of my spare time coaching my sons baseball, taking my daughter to boxing matches and walking my German Shepherd. lol Life changes......

Take the month off and go elk hunting. I graduated college and passed the CPA exam on my first try. After that I reached a point where I do things when I can. Inhave had good friends die well before their time and they all had amazing plans for their retirement. After college I lived at home and saved a lot and was able to afford an African Safari at 25. Although it set me back financially I dont not regret it one bit, and that trip cost me more than your month of lost wages.

Lastly Big Fin had a quote that one of his mentors told him before he died. "Hunt when you can because your gonna run out of health before you run out of money." As much as I like to hunt I followed that before I heard that but now I remember that line a lot.

Do it!

You'll never regret it. At your age, it sounds like you're already well ahead of the curve financially and mature beyond your years.

I'm fortunate to have a job that gives me two weeks off a month to do whatever I want. Not many get that luxury. I have a hard time finding hunting partners that can match my level of commitment and effort. Most guys my age (40) are fortunate to get 1-2 weekends off a year to chase critters. I also know far too many tradesmen that worked their bags off at a young age only only to be half crippled by 40 with bad shoulders, knees, or both.

One of the toughest goals in life is to find balance. Taking this time now, while you are young and relatively commitment free is a chance to get a head start on that. Having a job to go back to when you're done is gravy.

Give'r Bud! and don't forget to post a story and pics when you get back.

You have a lifetime to work, but limited time to hunt. Money comes and goes but what’s all of this money if you aren’t happy? I say take the time off of work and do something you’ve EARNED at a young age and can afford to do.

Not even a question. When you are committed with the obligations of family, etc. you will be grateful your planning and hard work put you in a position to go do this. I would put your bow in your truck, leave your phone at home on the table for a month, and call it the best year of your young life. Good luck in the hunt.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond to my post. I appreciate everyone to takes time to read my thoughts let alone respond especially with how busy you are. I was excited to see you’d read my post. Have a great season!

Back