Yeti GOBOX Collection

Help Me Decide Optics

I am having trouble making a decision. I have a Bergara B14 Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor that I am setting up as a do all hunting rifle that can serve as a range gun as well. I already own two optics, and am trying to decide which one to go with. I am looking to hear some opinions on which is the best way to go and why.
Scope 1
Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44 VMR1 MOA

Pros:
MOA reticle for quick holds
Clear glass
Lifetime warranty
Target style turrets

Cons:
Heavy
Large

Scope 2
Leupold VX3i LR 4.5-14x50 CDS Duplex

Pros:
Clear glass
Lifetime warranty
Better form factor
Lighter weight
CDS

Cons:
Do I really need a 50mm objective?
Duplex reticle doesn't allow for quick accurate holds.
I can’t speak for the Leupold glass clarity (I imagine it’s very competitive) but I’d do understand the cds system. I own the HST 4x16x44. I think it’s a great scope. Pair the HST with a ballistics calculator app and it’s spot on. If it’s a close shot odds are you won’t have to dial. If it’s a far shot more times than not you will have time to dial up (like the cds)

But.... the thing the cds (the custom part) won’t be capable of doing is accounting for environmentals as far as ballistics are concerned. You practice at low elevation and hit the hills and now the ballistics have changed and now you’re stuck with the dial you have which could be more off than you’d expect. Environmentals are a huge factor in accurate distance shooting.

-elevation
-barometric pressure
-temperature

These can be the difference between a perfect shot or a long tracking job or a complete miss.

Long story short you have way more control with the HST. It’ll also make you a better marksman rather than relying a preset dial that can’t conform with a change in where you train and where you hunt, not to mention a change in ammo.

Now I know the cds has the manual option but the custom dials can make a shooter overconfident and If you don’t take the time to learn how to manually make adjustment to the shooting conditions it can be a bit of a disservice.

if you are practiced in traditional dial up scopes, I can see the CDS option being a great system.

Last edited:
I wonder why Leupolds say “designed, machined, and assembled in the USA right on the optic”

I think we have us a troll.

Votex top level scopes are good. The cheaper ones are china poo.

I love my Vortex... Handles the recoil of my 338. Enough adjustment to shoot out to 1200 yards. Crystal clear glass. I can get them at a good price and no one will beat their warranty. Nothing against leupold. I have one on my 270 but when it came time to upgrade, I could spend 900 on the Vortex or 1200 on the leupold for an equal scope. Best bang for your buck is Vortex. I used to sell Optics. Nightforce if I was rich but I'm not so...

Neither, if you like to twist turrets. Both will probably be OK for awhile if you are a set and forget shooter. Don't sweat the weight. Weigh the light one, and then weigh the heavy one. Only a few ounces difference. If that is a game changer, then you have other problems. I will take heavy every time. With scope internals, there is no free lunch as far as weight vs durability.

Ed, you can find out where any optic is made via Google. Do some research and report back on what you learn. Especially about Vortex. Sounds like you could use the info. mtmuley

I love my Vortex... Handles the recoil of my 338. Enough adjustment to shoot out to 1200 yards. Crystal clear glass. I can get them at a good price and no one will beat their warranty. Nothing against leupold. I have one on my 270 but when it came time to upgrade, I could spend 900 on the Vortex or 1200 on the leupold for an equal scope. Best bang for your buck is Vortex. I used to sell Optics. Nightforce if I was rich but I'm not so...
Must have missed it. What flavor .338 you shooting? mtmuley

Might have already been mentioned but you can't go wrong with vortex, glass clarity is fantastic. Plus their lifetime warranty with no questions asked replacement, nice to have a company that stands by their products and their consumers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back