Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Help Me Decide Optics

They’re not giant. Targets are 1-2 MOA, depending on distance and positioning. Typically you’re engaging multiple targets at multiple distances. Most are known distance, but some aren’t, we also shoot moving targets , and shoot “ no dial “ stages where you engage multiple targets using holdover only. It’s a great test of shooter and equipment. A scope that doesn’t track precisely or return to zero every time doesn’t last long. The high end Vortex scopes have passed those tests. Some of the others being praised in this thread have not.

We must go to different matches.

I shoot as many PRS stlyle matches as my work schedule allows and I’v hosted a few as well. Razors outnumber every other optic by a wide margin. They’ve been in the top 3 since they came out. A very close second is the ATACR and third would be a tie between Khales and Schmidt and Bender. The Bushnell XRS2 and DMR2 are a close 4 th. I’ve only seen a handful of Sightrons and never seen one in the top 10. Maybe it’s a regional thing.

A fairly decent source for “What the pros use” type of info:

057BEB89-B0A9-42EC-AD30-807256800C29.png

you mean like shooting off packs, tripods, barricades, and the like under time at multiple distances....never did that :) Cleaning a days course with one of these raises some eyebrows :)IMG_0332 3.JPG
IMG_0336.JPG

That is good data but that's also one type of shooting competition. All of those comps would roll under the PRS general label.
Yup - was just adding in response to the anecdotal statement by others that vortex dominates. In the end, public land hunting is different than range tournaments in a number of ways. I have used many brands From $50 to $2000 and am happy with Nightforce and Sightron for the range and Leopold vx6HD in the field. Vortex is ok, but fanboys really overstate that case in my experience. YMMV.

Yup - was just adding in response to the anecdotal statement by others that vortex dominates. In the end, public land hunting is different than range tournaments in a number of ways. I have used many brands From $50 to $2000 and am happy with Nightforce and Sightron for the range and Leopold vx6HD in the field. Vortex is ok, but fanboys really overstate that case in my experience. YMMV.
I like leupolds clarity. It’s no swavarski but it’s close.
I think leupold designs focus well around hunting.
Even with that being said they probably grab a lot of the LE and defense market as well...but that’s not our forum focus.

I don’t run any of the vx3 and lower scopes except on handguns...and those I don’t dial.

I have run the vx5 line a good bit at distance Both in the field and comps.I am also running those on “handguns”....some of those kinds stretch the idea on what a handgun is tho. But on the other hand they are taking a lot more recoil. Biggest xp100 pistol I ran a vx5 in was 338 lapua💥

to me the vx5 line is about a perfect field scope. Higher than that....Jury is out for me.

still a big part for me is supporting an all American company....I pass on the import companies as much as possible.

A fairly decent source for “What the pros use” type of info:

View attachment 123373
They’re only looking at the top 50 shooters many of whom have a vested interest in shooting brand X optic. A sanctioned match will have 150 - 200 shooters. I can assure you the majority are not shooting ATACR or Khales.
Vortex definitely has its fanboy base, but they also get an underserved amount of bashing usually by other brands fanboys that may or may not have ever used one of their top tier optics. It obvious in previous responses that this is the case.
The majority of my hunting rifles wear Leupold optics. I think they offer a good value for the price. But they are far from the only choice and sometimes aren’t even the best choice.
In the context of the OPs original post about a specific Vortex vs a specific Leupold optic for long range targets I believe the Vortex is the better choice, for hunting on public lands it doesnt matter much. Either is adequate.

Last edited:
My new favorite. Vx5 1-5 cds firedot.

gathers lots of light....yeah it’s on a contender pistol....being able to hold the gun closer helps with the odd field positions. 22AC55B3-552D-483B-B5F7-15EE5041AC71.jpeg22AC55B3-552D-483B-B5F7-15EE5041AC71.jpeg

So what is everyones beef with Vortex on here? I don't understand.
I have two vortex products and each has had to be returned because it flat broke. My bino's have been in three times. While they're warranty is good, I don't want to be sending my optics in for replacements after every hunt.

I'm talking about an inexperienced shooter shooting long range. Regardless of money spent on equipment. mtmuley
He was newer at long range shooting. I don't want to call him inexperienced, but for lack of better terms that's what I said. He just hasn't spent much time shooting long range. As far as I know he's familiar with shooting, just not that far. I'll look and see if I can find the video, he basically took a rig and didn't modify anything (might have bedded the recoil lug) and was able to hit 1000 yards with a rig worth less than 1k

I am in the “don’t believe everything you read/watch” camp, but there is some legitimately good content related to LR shooting on the net.
Info yeah. Bad choice of word I guess. With LR, there is no substitute for doing. mtmuley

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back