Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Help Me Decide Optics

Upland

I am having trouble making a decision. I have a Bergara B14 Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor that I am setting up as a do all hunting rifle that can serve as a range gun as well. I already own two optics, and am trying to decide which one to go with. I am looking to hear some opinions on which is the best way to go and why.
Scope 1
Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44 VMR1 MOA

Pros:
MOA reticle for quick holds
Clear glass
Lifetime warranty
Target style turrets

Cons:
Heavy
Large

Scope 2
Leupold VX3i LR 4.5-14x50 CDS Duplex

Pros:
Clear glass
Lifetime warranty
Better form factor
Lighter weight
CDS

Cons:
Do I really need a 50mm objective?
Duplex reticle doesn't allow for quick accurate holds.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, I personally think Leupold is a cut above Vortex but depending on your use I think you will be pretty happy with either. One of my scopes is almost that exact Leupold and it's great, although it's also $500 more than the Vortex.

In all seriousness, I personally think Leupold is a cut above Vortex but depending on your use I think you will be pretty happy with either. One of my scopes is almost that exact Leupold and it's great, although it's also $500 more than the Vortex.
Well that's the dilemma. I already have both scopes, just have to decide which one goes on the gun and which one stays in the safe for the next rainy day gun purchase.

Well that's the dilemma. I already have both scopes, just have to decide which one goes on the gun and which one stays in the safe for the next rainy day gun purchase.

If you already have both, then the Leupold definitely gets my vote.

That VX3i is a super nice scope for the money and I think you can get it with a 40mm objective. Can't speak to the Vortex but I know a lot of people like them. Leupold would be my choice

I am having trouble making a decision. I have a Bergara B14 Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor that I am setting up as a do all hunting rifle that can serve as a range gun as well. I have two optics I am trying to decide between and am looking to hear some opinions on which is the best way to go and why.
Scope 1

Pros:
Clear glass
Lifetime warranty
Target style turrets

Cons:
Heavy
Large

Scope 2

Pros:
Clear glass
Lifetime warranty
Better form factor
Lighter weight
CDS

Cons:

Without looking it up, what is the FOV at 100 yards for a 50mm vs 44 or 40mm objective lens?

Leupold but get a 40mm objective. I prefer the duplex. I have the 3.5-10 on my B-14 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Without looking it up, what is the FOV at 100 yards for a 50mm vs 44 or 40mm objective lens?
I don't know so I looked it up
VX3i 4.5-14x50 is 19.10-7.4/100yrds
Vx3i 4.4-14x40 is 18.7-6.2/100yrds
Vortex 4-16x44 is 27.4-7.4 ft/100

I am having trouble making a decision. I have a Bergara B14 Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor that I am setting up as a do all hunting rifle that can serve as a range gun as well. I already own two optics, and am trying to decide which one to go with. I am looking to hear some opinions on which is the best way to go and why.
Scope 1

Pros:
Clear glass
Lifetime warranty
Target style turrets

Cons:
Heavy
Large

Scope 2

Pros:
Clear glass
Lifetime warranty
Better form factor
Lighter weight
CDS

Cons:

Wondering, what do you call long range? Sounds to me like your trying to set up a jack of all trades!

Wondering, what do you call long range? Sounds to me like your trying to set up a jack of all trades!
That’s pretty much the goal. I have access to a range where I can shoot out to 1000 yards, but 600 and in is what I’m looking for.

I recently purchased a Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14 x 40mm CDS side focus 30mm tube wind plex 170702 for around 5 Bens.

I don't know so I looked it up
VX3i 4.5-14x50 is 19.10-7.4/100yrds
Vx3i 4.4-14x40 is 18.7-6.2/100yrds
Vortex 4-16x44 is 27.4-7.4 ft/100

Thanks for the info. I should have been clearer in the I was too lazy to look it up. I assume those distances are at the lowest power setting. Probably around half of that for the highest power setting.

Put a picitinny base on the rifle and mount each scope in a set of compatible rings.
If you want to bang steel or punch paper use the Vortex. That reticle is much better for holding wind and elevation.
When hunting season rolls around mount up the Leupold. A few rounds to check zero and you’re good.

Between those two, the Leupold. The color rendering is better for hunting, it will enhance the contrast and make the animal stand out better against its background. Frankly, it’s probably better all around. From what I can tell, Vortex isn’t particularly good until you get to the very top end of their scopes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I should have been clearer in the I was too lazy to look it up. I assume those distances are at the lowest power setting. Probably around half of that for the highest power setting.

The posted info has the lowest power setting and the highest. If you’ll notice, the Vortex has a larger field of view than even the 50mm Leupold. That’s usually suggestive of reduced adjustment range.

Scope 1

Pros:
Clear glass
Lifetime warranty
Target style turrets

Cons:
Heavy
Large

Scope 2

Pros:
Clear glass
Lifetime warranty
Better form factor
Lighter weight
CDS

Cons:
Go with vortex. Nothing will even come close. Leupold gold ring scope are all junk and never hold a zero. The clarity is unmatched when it come to vortex

Back