Heart break...

Today is better....

We planted a young tree surrounded by mums directly adjacent to where we placed "Lu". It is a fitting tribute to the best bird dog I have been fortunate enough to be owned by. In reality we think we are the master, but I would do anything for my dogs. On another note, we have an 18 month old small female lab, "Belle", to continue where "Lu" has left off. She has been under going lots of training, obedience, decoy work, blind retrieves, shed training and much more. Belle shows much promise. She has made this difficult time a bit easier. To all I thank you for your thoughtful comments and understanding. Tom (MTGunner)

Man that sucks. I still get the occasional tear from thinking of memories with past dogs. I really can't think of anything better than a good dog (other than kids) for teaching the importance and rewards of responsibility, leadership, and companionship. One of the things that quickly garners my respect for a person is having a dog and treating it well.
Unfortunately, the more they mean to us, the more it sucks when they leave. So sorry for your loss.

I have had some great dogs. I keep telling myself that they are animals-not people. Love them, lose them and go on with a replacement. I have a beagle now that I think is going to outlive me if I don't shoot the little prick!

I've lost three dogs thus far and know exactly how you feel. Having a new dog definitely helps, but we'll always remember our past partners. I surely enjoy looking back at old photos of my fallen companions and enjoy the memories we made.

Sorry to hear about your dog. Received this after losing my dog Harley a few weeks ago. Get a tissue handy.

Just this side of heaven lays the hunters road. When a beloved pet dies, it goes to the hunter’s road. It makes friends with other animals and frolics over hills and peaceful, lush meadows of green.
Our pets do not thirst or hunger. The old and sick are made young once more, the maimed and the ill become healed and strong. They are as healthy and playful as we remember them in days gone by. Though happy and content, they still miss someone very special, someone they had to leave behind.
Together, the animals chase and play, but there comes a time when a pet suddenly stops and looks into the distance with bright eyes, eager body quivering suddenly recognizing you. Your pet bounds quickly across the green fields and into your embrace as you celebrate in joyous reunion. You will never again separate. Happy tears and kisses are warm and plenty, your hand caress the face you missed. You look once more into the loving eyes of your pet and know you really you never really parted. You realize that though out of sight, your love has been remembered and now, you have crossed the hunter’s road together...

Just my Dog

"He's Just My Dog.

He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that can hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea.
He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being: by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him.( I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to take care of me.)
When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy he is joy unbounded.
When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags.
Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful.
He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion.
With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.
His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things.
He has promised to wait for me....whenever...wherever...in case I need him. And I expect I will...as I always have.

He's Just My Dog."

One of my favorites from Gene Hill....bird hunter and dog man.

I like to think they are out there somewhere waiting for us still.

HD

Hang in there Gunner. There is no easy way around it.
The pain now is the price we pay for the lifetime of memories.

It may be a little early, but don't give up on them. A puppy can put a smile on any face

RIP Lu

Heartbreaking indeed, I'm sorry for your loss.

My GSP Jake died three years ago, I have another named Gus who will be 8 this year. It was nice having Gus to console me after Jake died but it was rough none the less.

I dread the day I loose Gus, I'm unsure if I have it in me to raise and bury another one after he goes.

So sorry for your loss, there's no words that can make it less painful. I went through a horrible 3 months starting last January when I found out my 8 year old lab had cancer. I can tell you that eventually the pain goes away and you just remember the good stuff. I didn't think I'd be ready for another dog for a long time and viewed it like I didn't want to replace the last one but as I type this there is a 8 week old pain in the butt chewing on the table beneath me.

Hang in there.

Sad, sad days when your four-legged hunting partners leave you forever. One of the toughest parts of hunting, but now you have a young lab waiting at the door.........

Back