Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hearing Loss

MThuntr

Please excuse the link to another forum but it directly references BigFin. I suffer from tinnitus due to years of operating chainsaws and shooting without ear protection. I wonder if my inability to find elk is directly related to hearing loss. I haven't had a hearing test done in ages however I know it's gotten worse. I suspect by my 40th I'll have hearing aids.

Last edited:
Same boat, from military flight lines and engine runs. Although, it seems to only effect a certain decibel level. People mumbling is something I can't hear at all but geese in the distance or twigs snapping, are a different story. I reccomend getting a test done!

Right there with you. I struggle to hear elk bugles very well. They are in the frequency range where my hearing has been damaged.

You younger guys, take note of this. Take care of your hearing, it doesn't grow back.

Right there with you. I struggle to hear elk bugles very well. They are in the frequency range where my hearing has been damaged
You younger guys, take note of this. Take care of your hearing, it doesn't grow back.
This

You younger guys take care of your hearing now because once it's gone it doesn't come back. Tinnitus is a son of a bitch, especially when you're laying there to go to sleep. I wear hearing aids now because of Iraq, but they are such a pain in the ass. Please guys, take care of your ears when you shoot.

I got my hearing aids about 9 months ago. Hearing losses were due to a lifetime of driving big trucks and shooting (unprotected). Background noise (plane overhead, traffic noises, etc) made conversation impossible. Hearing aids have made some improvements (but I can also hear the distracting noises better, too). I hear bird song, that I haven't heard for many years. I hear the microwave oven making noises I never knew it was capable of. Tv and radio are easier to listen to. Warning - I still don't hear what my wife is saying, from a distance of 6'. :)

Right there with you. I struggle to hear elk bugles very well. They are in the frequency range where my hearing has been damaged.

Yep, I'm 39, I can hear close bugles but faint or far-off ones are hit or miss for me. Many times I'll throw out a bugle and then listen, only to see my buddies get all excited about a response I didn't hear. I don't have tinnitus, but no doubt years of competitive trap shooting and duck hunting when I was younger didn't do me any favors.

Without a hearing test there's no way for you to know how bad you are. My first clue was when I was looking at a rattlesnake shaking its tail and I couldn't hear it.
That a tone range your ears simply can not hear? Seems an obvious answer though hard to wrap my mind around. Such a loud and distinct varied noise. To be in front of a rattler, visibly rattling and unable to hear? Wow!

That a tone range your ears simply can not hear? Seems an obvious answer though hard to wrap my mind around. Such a loud and distinct varied noise. To be in front of a rattler, visibly rattling and unable to hear? Wow!
yeah it's the frequency. The higher pitches and distant bugles are mostly the culprits. 2 years ago we got into some bedded bulls. I didn't hear anything but the guy I was with heard a halfass bugle. They were only 100 yards away. I would have kept going. Instead we were able to screw up 2 chances at the bulls :D :cry:

I haven't had a break from my tinnitus in probably 15 years, never a minute that it's not there. Even with my hearing aids, there are days it's difficult to carry on a conversation due to the ringing.

On the topic of young guys attempting to save our hearing, does anyone have any recommendations for what they use while bird hunting? I’ve started carrying earplugs in my bino harness for big game, but I like being able to hear while I’m hunting birds.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back