Maximum hearing protection and tinninitis

I've noticed in my old age a bit of hearing loss is not a bad thing. I seem to hear more than I want to anyway!
I wish that is how it works. My hearing damage has only eliminated a small spectrum of the frequencies of human hearing. The biggest change is the sensitivity to loud noises. The analogy to back pain is almost perfect - once you have hurt your back, you are not likely to say, "Oh well, my back is screwed up anyway, I may as well lift heavier stuff." Same with hearing damage, once you break a bunch of those tiny cilia, you are even more prone to painfully loud noises (which did not seem that loud when you had healthy cilia).

agreed, the ears still leave a lot of unknowns. I noticed major sensitivity to certain frequencies and saw ear/nose/throat doc, got a hearing test done. Hearing test passed. Hyperacusis was the diagnosis, similar to tinnitus. It can be managed
I wish that is how it works. My hearing damage has only eliminated a small spectrum of the frequencies of human hearing. The biggest change is the sensitivity to loud noises. The analogy to back pain is almost perfect - once you have hurt your back, you are not likely to say, "Oh well, my back is screwed up anyway, I may as well lift heavier stuff." Same with hearing damage, once you break a bunch of those tiny cilia, you are even more prone to painfully loud noises (which did not seem that loud when you had healthy cilia).

Note that sound also travels through bone. Most of your "ringing the next day" activities include hanging on to a loud object, and your ears are still being vibrated.
Realize that not all hearing damage comes through your ear canal.
So wrap all your handles in foam? Wear thick gloves?

agreed, the ears still leave a lot of unknowns. I noticed major sensitivity to certain frequencies and saw ear/nose/throat doc, got a hearing test done. Hearing test passed. Hyperacusis was the diagnosis, similar to tinnitus. It can be managed
Interesting. I googled hyperacusis. 80+% of people who report hyperacusis also have tinnitus, so it seems like it's all related to hearing loss/damage, just different symptoms for some people. I have had hearing tests and have completely lost the higher frequencies (can't even hear my dog whining), but loud noises (in frequencies that I can hear) drive me crazy and make my tinnitus worse. I now wear ear pro for everything from grinding coffee to running the vacuum cleaner and double-up for chainsawing and shooting. And taught my kids to do the same.

My Dr recommended this website
Which goes into great detail about hyperacusis. the description of the different levels(severity) of it and reading some of the message board was uselful for me for context.

They way you describe it is similar.

Certain noises (esp my 1 year old screaming) causes physical pain in my ear and head. Similarly I have earplugs everywhere and I wired my coffee grinder within a cabinet so I can shut doors after hitting go

Interesting. I googled hyperacusis. 80+% of people who report hyperacusis also have tinnitus, so it seems like it's all related to hearing loss/damage, just different symptoms for some people. I have had hearing tests and have completely lost the higher frequencies (can't even hear my dog whining), but loud noises (in frequencies that I can hear) drive me crazy and make my tinnitus worse. I now wear ear pro for everything from grinding coffee to running the vacuum cleaner and double-up for chainsawing and shooting. And taught my kids to do the same.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back