Anyone hunt with hearing protection/enhancement?

JTHOMP

Last year a buddy of mine started hunting with a pair of sound amplification earmuffs and talked very highly of them. Especially about how he can easily hear when something is moving in the woods. I bought a pair and never used them because I didn't like how the stock bumped the side of the ear muff when I shouldered my gun. I'm 25 and have been shooting since 6, and I have some hearing damage in my right year from shooting so I know I needed to start taking care of my hearing other than when just shooting targets. And forever reason when I was target shooting or shooting skeet I'd forget about trying the muffs and put in ear plugs.

Opening morning of squirrel season I had my girlfriend with me and decided to try them for the first time. The extra noises she made made it too difficult to listen for sounds of squirrels in the trees while wearing them so they quickly went back in my bag. The second morning I was by myself. When I shot the first squirrel I was amazed at how comfortable it. It was odd that the typical deafening ring didn't follow the shot as normally experienced. That shot and the rest that morning almost seemed smoother without the noise. And with the excited of shooting a live target I never noticed the stock of the gun hitting the ear muffs.

It was foggy that morning so there were many water drops continuously coming from the tree tops. I can't say that the ear muff helped me to locate the squirrels, but I enjoyed using them. The only con so far is that they were hot while wearing them. It was 75-80 degrees that morning. Looking forward to trying them during gun season for deer.

Here is a link to the pair I own......
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If anyone ever considered using them or something similar I definitely recommend it.

22 Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) is pretty low as good quality foam ear plugs are around 33 NRR. There are "in the ear" sound enhancing products that shut down at the shot. I'm not sure their NRR but probably more comfortable to wear.
I wear a hearing aid out of necessity that muffles the shot and I like the enhancement...
Good to think about your hearing while in your 20's. Shooting and engine rooms took their toll on mine.

I have a pair of electronic muffs(same ones you have), but like you said I hate how they interfere with my cheek weld on the gun. I've never hunted with them but I agree I would like to find something that works and isn't $300+. I've seen these new ones that's like a thing you wear around your neck and it has little ear plugs that come up attached to wires, I've read mixed reviews.

Last edited:
I normally wear muffs when shooting/practicing. While hunting with a rifle I try to put regular ear plugs in before the shot. Where I hunt at home it's not too much of an issue since I normally have the time to get them in. The link shows what I use. The fact that I can just stick them in and don't have to fumble around rolling them and waiting on them to expand really helps. I did try to have them in while dove hunting but after not hearing multiple birds coming in from behind I pulled them out.
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Howard-Leight-Quiet-Band-NRR-25-Ear-Plugs/productDetail/Ear-Protection/prod9999000639/cat100418

Last year a buddy of mine started hunting with a pair of sound amplification earmuffs and talked very highly of them. Especially about how he can easily hear when something is moving in the woods. I bought a pair and never used them because I didn't like how the stock bumped the side of the ear muff when I shouldered my gun. I'm 25 and have been shooting since 6, and I have some hearing damage in my right year from shooting so I know I needed to start taking care of my hearing other than when just shooting targets. And forever reason when I was target shooting or shooting skeet I'd forget about trying the muffs and put in ear plugs.

Opening morning of squirrel season I had my girlfriend with me and decided to try them for the first time. The extra noises she made made it too difficult to listen for sounds of squirrels in the trees while wearing them so they quickly went back in my bag. The second morning I was by myself. When I shot the first squirrel I was amazed at how comfortable it. It was odd that the typical deafening ring didn't follow the shot as normally experienced. That shot and the rest that morning almost seemed smoother without the noise. And with the excited of shooting a live target I never noticed the stock of the gun hitting the ear muffs.

It was foggy that morning so there were many water drops continuously coming from the tree tops. I can't say that the ear muff helped me to locate the squirrels, but I enjoyed using them. The only con so far is that they were hot while wearing them. It was 75-80 degrees that morning. Looking forward to trying them during gun season for deer.

Here is a link to the pair I own......
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If anyone ever considered using them or something similar I definitely recommend it.

I like the electronic muffs for bird hunting.

For rifle hunting,

I like the canal caps with the band around my neck.

I will also use push in plugs from time to time with one always in the left ear, because I am a right handed shooter and the majority of the sound intensity goes to the left ear. So, if I have to take a shot before putting the other one in, I am half way covered.

Another option, depending on the state is suppressors. It is recommended to still wear hearing protection with a suppressed gun, but the suppressor mitigates some of the harmful effects if you happen to shoot without hearing protection in. .

I have been wearing Westone custom earplug for 16 years or more, and have not shot an animal without them in that time period. It's second nature to push them in, like taking off the safety. My wife uses them too.

However, when hunting with my kid I need to be able to communicate so I bought some $40 electronic muffs. They slide over my gun barrel when I'm carrying them so they aren't too much of a pain, but you have to fuss a little to get set up if you see an animal.

IMG_5716.jpg

I'm sure I'll get bad press, but no, I don't use hearing protection. I don't want a suppressor hung on my barrel, and I don't want to fool with ear plugs. Sometimes things happen fast, and screwing around will cost you a shot. Just my way of doing things. mtmuley

Holy crap Rob, were I hunt elk messing with muffs or plugs would cost you elk, not to mention with that setup I would get hung up in the brush. What kind of sling is that?

I'm sure I'll get bad press, but no, I don't use hearing protection. I don't want a suppressor hung on my barrel, and I don't want to fool with ear plugs. Sometimes things happen fast, and screwing around will cost you a shot. Just my way of doing things. mtmuley

This was my reason for not using them last season. After using them though I think it would be useful to where throughout the hunt (at least for my style of hunting). Not just for hearing protection but also to pick up on an animal quicker.

My brother had a couple pairs of those on his kids this fall during a dove hunt. I borrowed them for a little bit and thought they were great- only downside was when the birds weren't flying the kids were extra noisy yelling at each other for some reason (probably not the fault of the muffs). I'll definitely be getting two pairs before our gun season kicks in so we can whisper while deer hunting when I take out a kiddo or two.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back