Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Maximum hearing protection and tinninitis

AlaskaHunter

I try to maximize my hearing protection by wearing 29db ear plugs AND quality ear muffs.
The same hearing protection I've used for years shooting rifles.
I've always had sensitive hearing and protect it with plugs/ear muffs whenever operating chainsaws, lawn mowers, etc.

Despite this maximum protection, my ears have been ringing since shooting
3 rounds of skeet with 20 gauge 7/8oz loads two days ago.
This surprised me as I can not hear people talking when wearing the maximum protection.

Has this type of ringing ears happened to anyone else post-shooting, despite maximum hearing protection?
Thanks.

Sorry to hear that. Good on you for maximizing hearing protection...I do the same at the range (at least these days I do).

I've got permanent tinnitus, worse in my left ear (right handed shooter).

I hope for you that your symptoms are transitory.

Not sure what else to do beyond your current maximum use of hearing protection.

My tinnitus is horrible, and I have constant ringing in my ears that gets worse with almost any louder noise. I also double up ear plugs and muffs when I can while shooting.

IME, foam ear plugs under muffs have been the best I’ve found. I’ve tried custom ear plugs, but they’re not flexible enough that in some shooting positions they don’t fully seal my ear canal. Also, if wearing glasses, the ear pieces create a gap under the muffs, and the muffs sometimes won’t stay flush to my face in all shooting positions.

The rubber/plastic plugs are reusable but don’t provide the same level of noise reduction.

The foam plugs are pliable enough that they provide a more consistent seal. There are different sizes of foam plugs, so make sure you get ones that work best for you.

I used custom molded plugs and 29Db muffs. I don't have any post shooting issues which are any worse than the constant tinnitus I already have.
Too much Rock & Roll, chainsaws, amateur IEDs, and guns before I became a believer in hearing protection.

Molded ear plugs do not last forever. They will lose their fit as your body changes the shape of your ear canal. They need to be replaced every 5 years or so. Sooner if you lose or gain a significant amount of weight.

Many guns produce 150+ db and your muffs and plugs combined probably reduce the noise to 110-120 db. 120 db is instant, permanent hearing damage and I suspect that if you already have some damage, then it takes much less than 120 db to cause instant, permanent damage. 110 is still really loud and over any amount of time it's going to do damage as well.

Suppressors are one answer. And yes, they makes them for shotguns.

Did you have tennititus before but just didn't realize it?

I have decent hearing still and pretty constant tennititus, but don't notice it all the time unless I think about it.

I just wear muffs. I think double protection has it limitations. After like 30db, you can't add the full additional protection of plugs

@AlaskaHunter Tinnitus can also be caused by NDAID’s (Ibuprofen, Aleve, voltaren, Mobic, etc etc). Old school antimalarials are also know to be ototoxic. If you’ve been taking something for pain/inflammation management this could also cause an increase in the incessant buzzing of a million no seeums flying about your ears.

1. The primary cause of noticing tinnitus is reading a thread title or advertisement about it.

2. Gunstock vibration can cause hearing damage.

3. Comes after 2.

@AlaskaHunter Tinnitus can also be caused by NDAID’s (Ibuprofen, Aleve, voltaren, Mobic, etc etc). Old school antimalarials are also know to be ototoxic. If you’ve been taking something for pain/inflammation management this could also cause an increase in the incessant buzzing of a million no seeums flying about your ears.
I don't take NDAIDs, drink alcohol or coffee and eat a healthy no-carb diet.

It seems worse with long duration rather than loudest noise.
For example, shooting magnum rifles with double ear protection...no ringing in ears next day.
Running 60-hp 4-stroke outboard for 3 hours with double ear protection...ringing in ears next day.
Running a chainsaw all day with double ear protection...ringing in ears next day.
Shooting light 20 gauge loads (7/8 oz) with 75-100 shots...ringing in ears next day.

The ringing in ears does gradually dissapears so it is associated with long duration noise events.

I've been visiting an audiologist lately to get hearing aids (way younger in life than I would have imagined). I asked about hearing protection for shooting and working in the wood shop. She took a custom mold of my ear canals and sent the molds off for custom ear plugs. They are far superior to any hearing protection I've used, even far more effective than ear muffs over foam plugs. What I like best is you can have them in and still have a normal conversation with someone. I forget the technology that was called. I noticed most of the serious trap shooters at the local range have them. Anyway, worth talking to an audiologist about.

I've been visiting an audiologist lately to get hearing aids (way younger in life than I would have imagined). I asked about hearing protection for shooting and working in the wood shop. She took a custom mold of my ear canals and sent the molds off for custom ear plugs. They are far superior to any hearing protection I've used, even far more effective than ear muffs over foam plugs. What I like best is you can have them in and still have a normal conversation with someone. I forget the technology that was called. I noticed most of the serious trap shooters at the local range have them. Anyway, worth talking to an audiologist about.
I've considered this but haven't dug into it too deeply. Good to hear you like them and they work well.

Ball park figure on cost?

Sounds like the molded earpieces that you can get to use with your hearing aids only they don't have a provision to let sound get through. I ended up getting them because the normal domes would never stay in for me. They are clear and somewhat fragile so one has to be careful when using them and storing them. $39 apiece at Costco. Probably not a bad idea to get a back up pair since it takes a couple weeks to get them.

What are yours made from? Are the somewhat pliable? Or a hard plastic?

Sounds like the molded earpieces that you can get to use with your hearing aids only they don't have a provision to let sound get through. I ended up getting them because the normal domes would never stay in for me. They are clear and somewhat fragile so one has to be careful when using them and storing them. $39 apiece at Costco. Probably not a bad idea to get a back up pair since it takes a couple weeks to get them.

What are yours made from? Are the somewhat pliable? Or a hard plastic?
They're some type of molded silicone. I have to remove my hearing aids to use them.

Here is what the molded earpieces for my hearing aids look like. Are the silicone plugs similar to these?

YYHmOHc.jpg

Problem solved!
I went to an audiologist and they harvested lots of ear wax out of my right ear.
All that wax plug was conducting vibrations from the stock despite maximum hearing protection of plugs and muffs combined.
I would experience ringing despite shooting very light 7/8 oz loads.
Now I can shoot 1 1/8 oz loads and no ringing in the ears.

I've noticed in my old age a bit of hearing loss is not a bad thing. I seem to hear more than I want to anyway!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back