Neat! Hidden Benefit of New Hearing Aids

WyoDoug

My hearing was damaged due to several years with the 11th Marines, a 155mm howitzer unit. Back then hearing protection was fingers or cigarette butts in your ears. My hearing loss is moderate in one ear and severe in the other.

Went for a walk today and found when I turn the volume up, I can hear the dogs walking on grass and deer walking in the stream by where we live. Going to be a new hunting experience this year when I now have hearing to help me out.

Glad that you're happy with them. I've been using them for about 10 years now. Nerve damage in left ear from a childhood accident, 80% hearing loss, especially in voice tones. Right ear decline due to age and shooting guns back when nobody knew you should use hearing protection. Insurance didn't cover them and $8,500 later for 2 sets of them. Left ear isn't helped much, I depend on the right ear for 95% of my hearing. With people, I read lips too. Something I finally figured out that I did. Covid really screws that pig with the damn worthless masks.

I also have a bluetooth feature and listen to podcasts while driving or walking the dog and sometimes passing a day long whitetail sit.

Enjoy them! Its great to hear whats going on, isn't it?!

Glad that you're happy with them. I've been using them for about 10 years now. Nerve damage in left ear from a childhood accident, 80% hearing loss, especially in voice tones. Right ear decline due to age and shooting guns back when nobody knew you should use hearing protection. Insurance didn't cover them and $8,500 later for 2 sets of them. Left ear isn't helped much, I depend on the right ear for 95% of my hearing. With people, I read lips too. Something I finally figured out that I did. Covid really screws that pig with the damn worthless masks.

I also have a bluetooth feature and listen to podcasts while driving or walking the dog and sometimes passing a day long whitetail sit.

Enjoy them! Its great to hear whats going on, isn't it?!
I now hear sounds I never heard before. Strange at same time but now eager to see how that helps me detect presense of wildlife. If I can hear deer walking through the creek by where I live I know I should hear elk if they are close now and that is part of my plan.

My buddy just got a pair using is HSA money, there’s a deer, duck, and other modes. Super cool; custom made. I think they were ~$850

Good for you.
Seeing with your ears is something I can still enjoy. TP & an ack ack helmet saved mine I believe. That and always wearing ear protection . Except when hunting,so I can see what I can't see.

Do they have any hearing aids that also can deaden or noise cancel a gunshot?
tetrahearing.com is a good place to start. You will need a hearing test to get a profile they can match and adjust your hearing aids. Test is cheap part though. You will pay a grand or more for good ones that cancel out loud sounds.

tetrahearing.com is a good place to start. You will need a hearing test to get a profile they can match and adjust your hearing aids. Test is cheap part though. You will pay a grand or more for good ones that cancel out loud sounds.
Are your hearing aids from Tetra? I've used hearing aids for 10+ years, but they don't provide protection from gun shots. If you're using yours daily, how long does a pair of batteries last? With mine I get 5 days, but due to severe tinnitus and hearing loss I wear mine every minute of the day I'm not asleep or in the shower. Also, have you had a chance to see how they work in wind? Sorry for dumping all my questions on you, but I've been wanting to try something different around guns especially.

Are your hearing aids from Tetra? I've used hearing aids for 10+ years, but they don't provide protection from gun shots. If you're using yours daily, how long does a pair of batteries last? With mine I get 5 days, but due to severe tinnitus and hearing loss I wear mine every minute of the day I'm not asleep or in the shower. Also, have you had a chance to see how they work in wind? Sorry for dumping all my questions on you, but I've been wanting to try something different around guns especially.
I have yet to test them shooting. Most good hearing aids you can mute background noise which includes the wind. I am still learning how to use mine. And getting volume set just right. Right now my wife talks too damn loud and I am used to struggling to hear what she says some times. LOL

Last edited:
I have yet to test them shooting. Most good hearing aids you can mute background noise which includes the wind. I am still learning how to use mine. And getting volume set just right. Right now my wife talks too damn lound and I am used to struggling to hear what she says some times. LOL
Did you get yours through the VA?

Did you get yours through the VA?
I get mine through the VA. They give us Oticon brand.

My dad, uncle and I all get the same model from them. We each have a Bluetooth clip that lets us connect to computer or our smart phones as well. I use mine also a a hands free device in the semi.

They suck in the wind but the Bluetooth makes it easy to mute or you can mute through the phone app.

My hearing was damaged due to several years with the 11th Marines, a 155mm howitzer unit. Back then hearing protection was fingers or cigarette butts in your ears. My hearing loss is moderate in one ear and severe in the other.

Went for a walk today and found when I turn the volume up, I can hear the dogs walking on grass and deer walking in the stream by where we live. Going to be a new hunting experience this year when I now have hearing to help me out.
I can only imagine how nice that must be for you. I bought a pair of shooting earmuffs that also act as hearing aids and wore them in my turkey blind this spring. My head was spinning around because I was hearing all kinds of things louder than I should. mice in the leaves, tree rats 100 yards away, and yes the sound of turkey walking. It was actually an overload and did not like it but if my hearing was as bad as yours it would be appreciated.

I have yet to test them shooting. Most good hearing aids you can mute background noise which includes the wind. I am still learning how to use mine. And getting volume set just right. Right now my wife talks too damn lound and I am used to struggling to hear what she says some times. LOL
I had that problem with the wife let's just say there was a learning curve around the house.

I've had my hearing aids for a couple of years. A real game changer. A 12 ga. shotgun blast, a couple inches from the back of my head while working undercover (the poacher apparently failed hunter safety) left me with permanent hearing loss. I actually was tested at and purchased mine at Costco. Very happy with them. Excellent service and good product.

I am new to my hearing aids too. Same story—shooting in the 1960s and 1970s with no hearing protection. Right handed shooters always have worse hearing on their left ear because that one is pointed towards the muzzle. I love hearing all the birds and little sounds I had been missing but the inside of my eats itch now. Drives me nuts.

Back