Headed East

Ben2. MT would miss you in the best of times. Wildlife management and access is in for big changes in the next 4 years and beyond. Don't be surprised if we call for your help with the tussle. Meanwhile, fine adventure awaits in the Wolverine State. Go Blue! (That's a Michigan thing.)

Over the years that I have (internet) known you I have come to realize certain indisputable facts:

You have an amazing way with words. I fall on the other side of the political spectrum, but you have helped me understand nuance in a way that few others have. Watching you gently argue, cajole and persuade has helped me be a better advocate for public lands.

Your musical tastes seem to have no boundaries. Ranging from Buck Owens and his Buckaroos to classical (unknowns and standards) to head bangers, you love them all.

You have mastered the art of self deprecation and use it wisely. You have been both catalyst and fuel for many HuntTalk humorous quips, stories and tales.

Montana's loss is Michigan's gain. I hope that change in location suits you and your wife well. Godspeed on your move.

Ben1, MT is in strong hands with the lobby team assembled for Helena. We've spent the last couple of years ensuring that would be the case regardless of one person staying or going. We need a strong corps of conservation lobbyists for all of the future, and the forseable future tis challenging, but I think there are warriors up to that challenge. Regardless, I'll be cheering from my perch in MI.

Mark - I remember our first conversation via messenger. It was a good learning experience for me about how people view each other online versus the imagined rhetoric in your head. Your kind & generous words are deeply appreciated, and you're always welcome in my camp. :)

10 days till lift off.

Ben1, MT is in strong hands with the lobby team assembled for Helena. We've spent the last couple of years ensuring that would be the case regardless of one person staying or going. We need a strong corps of conservation lobbyists for all of the future, and the forseable future tis challenging, but I think there are warriors up to that challenge. Regardless, I'll be cheering from my perch in MI.

Mark - I remember our first conversation via messenger. It was a good learning experience for me about how people view each other online versus the imagined rhetoric in your head. Your kind & generous words are deeply appreciated, and you're always welcome in my camp. :)

10 days till lift off.
Ben, do not understate or undervalue your influential work in and around the Montana Capitol Rotunda ... you will be direly and dearly missed!
I too really like the looks and description of your new place. You are to be applauded for your hopeful change and adventurous move. I wish you only happiness, success, and much new fun and adventure with inlaws and all others with whom I am certain warm friendships will flourish

One chapter closes and one chapter opens … wishing you good health and good luck hunting and fishing in the upper mid-west. Thank you for you did and do for hunting and fishing. It sounds like you deserve time to reflect, relax, hunt, and drown a few worms. Be sure to post of your adventures. Thank you, again, Ben.

Just to help you embrace DA Deer Camp Culture. I highly suggest watching Jeff Daniels' movie, "Escanaba in Da Moonlight"

Best of luck in your new adventure sir!

Seen it, feel it. One day I might shoot a buck, but I'm passing on the blackberry brandy/vodka surprise that comes along with the camp. :)

That's very kind @Straight Arrow, it has been an honor to fight alongside such outstanding advocates such as yourself and so many other of the MT Hunt Talk family. I will miss those close-knit relationships the most. :)

Seen it, feel it. One day I might shoot a buck, but I'm passing on the blackberry brandy/vodka surprise that comes along with the camp. :)
Soadys crap so big they have to stand up to get off of it!

My wife, bless her heart, has lived in the west with my for the last 13.5 years. Before that, she spent a decade abroad studying for her MFA & undergrad. She's not lived "home" for 23 years and it was galling her last year. She asked if we could consider moving to Michigan to be closer to family. We've spent the last 8 years building a business, and a life in Montana, doing some good work for wildlife and conservation. But like all things, I've been feeling the pull to try something different than lobbying and working on contentious issues constantly. I agreed in December of 2019, then COVID-19 hit, and we shelved our plans until it was safe to go.

Then, when she was planning to go visit home for her grandmother's 90th birthday in May, the event was cancelled due to COVID. It put things in faster motion for us, as we were slated to spend a month (August) out in Michigan visiting. During that trip, her grandmother had to be hospitalized with stress fractures in two vertebrae, then hospitalized again from pneumonia contracted from the first stay, making the move more urgent. We ended up buying a house with 5 acres in a pretty rural area. We do have deer on it, and turkey as well. After doing some research it seems like the grouse hunting around there isn't half bad either. While it's not the west, it's not a terrible trade, really. Happy wife, reduced stress, and a chance to try something different.

And that's why this post is in the deer section. I know some Michiganders hunt stands & blinds and that's the most commonly accepted method, but is it possible to still hunt, to spot & stalk, or am I destined to wear puffy clothing & sit in a tree?

The dogs picked up ruffed grouse flushing pretty easily, so I think that will be a fun adventure. It's really the deer that are starting to puzzle me. I'm certainly not opposed to shooting a deer from the bathroom window, or out the master bedroom deck, but I'm interested in hearing how you big woods guys hunt Michigan deer effectively.

Any tips, reading materials, etc? I'll have a month of muzzleloader & late antlerless along with December grouse to keep me occupied, and I'd like to try and make the most of it.
not real familiar with Michigan but i bet they have some fantastic Walleye fishing there!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back