PEAX Equipment

HB 243 - Mandatory In-Person Field Day for Hunters Ed

I do support at least one in-person class as well as an in-person field day. However, after all these pages of opinions about the bill I am questioning the legislative reason for passing it as The LAW. You would think a legislature with so much ideological emphasis on less regulation and more restraint in expansion of laws would leave the authority and responsibility of planning, equipping, manning, and conducting hunter education to the appropriate state agency, FWP, without passing laws to micro-manage the curriculum.
Must everything be legislated by a strict and firm law?! 'Just sayin'.
FWP could manage to screw up a one car parade...

They need a keeper...and to be clear I'm not a fan of legislative action.

I simply have ZERO faith in the FWP. They had my trust once upon a time, but through countless examples of ineptitude...now a distant memory.

I do support at least one in-person class as well as an in-person field day. However, after all these pages of opinions about the bill I am questioning the legislative reason for passing it as The LAW. You would think a legislature with so much ideological emphasis on less regulation and more restraint in expansion of laws would leave the authority and responsibility of planning, equipping, manning, and conducting hunter education to the appropriate state agency, FWP, without passing laws to micro-manage the curriculum.
Must everything be legislated by a strict and firm law?! 'Just sayin'.
Don't ever let ideology stand in the way of creating an underfunded government program that you can point to during your campaign and espouse the woeful ineffectiveness of government.

I am all for in person class and field day but what I would really love to see is legit funding go to FWP so they can hire paid positions for hunter education/safety, to run classes, seminars, safety training, etc., all year long and quit relying on volunteers. Everyone that complains about there being no classes needs to remember that classes only happen if there are volunteers to teach them. I feel like if the state could better fund hunters education/safety, where positions could be hired, the whole system could be improved overall with education/training opportunities offered all year long, without relying on volunteers.

Reason I am saying this, is I sat though in person hunter education with my 11 year old son back in October. It was a two day weekend course, 3.5 hours on a Friday evening and 7 hours on Saturday. I had no issue with the two volunteers and there was lots of hands on work on firearm safety, with the training firearms. What I could not believe was after the test on Saturday, my son who is 11, had the highest score at 99%. Half the class did not even pass, including a couple of adults. I could not believe it and it was eye opening. What it made me realize is that lots of folks don't give a crap and didn't study and possibly need more folks in their lives who do give a crap to kick them in the butt and get them to take it serious. If those folks just don't have the mentors in their lives to pass along knowledge, safety, ethics, etc, maybe if there were more opportunities out there for education, hopefully some of these folks who cant pass the test now would attend other learning opprtunites and get better educated, so when they are in the field, they are safe, responsible and operate with a high level of ethics. Ever since attending that class and seeing how many of the attendees could not pass the test, has me thinking long and hard about finding a way to carve out time in my life to figure out how to be a volunteer to teach.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back