Hawaii or Mexico?

2rocky

For an active 40 year old couple in March from the West Coast (OAK/SFO airport) which would you choose for a 5 day vacation?

Expand upon whatever you think is relevant....

Is your goal relaxation or adventure? If the former, Hawaii. If the latter, MX has some really cool places to explore if you stay away from the tourist destinations. I’d take Hawaii over places like Cancun, Cabo, etc any day for a relaxing vacation that’s more than 4 days. If you have less time, then MX may be more practical since you won’t spend as much time in the air.

Hawaii, Mexico is hit or miss right now. Covid's not being reported correctly. Lots of infection down there. The cartels are still working some stuff out too. :)

For an active 40 year old couple in March from the West Coast (OAK/SFO airport) which would you choose for a 5 day vacation?

Expand upon whatever you think is relevant....

O.K. I got your message (-:

Like Glass Eye, I have been fortunate enough to have visited the islands of Hawaii and several locations in Mexico

My short answer is the same as others : Hawaii

But, it really depends on what you enjoy seeing and doing. 5 days definitely makes me lean more toward Hawaii, unless you intend on spending most of the time in a lounge chair on the beach drinking Tequila sunrises. If that is the case you can save air time and just go to Cabo ( from S.F. )

If you and your wife enjoy ancient history and seeing Aztec and Mayan "ruins" then Mexico. But with only five days you will need to choose locations--ie: Canacun and/or Mexico city will allow you to see some "ruins" and some beach time in Canacun. For the record Mexico City is one of my least favorite places to visit, but to each their own. Actually IMHO there are nicer places than Cancun as well, but they do have ruins, nightlife, beaches, and some good hotels--and on the peninsula it is safe.

I dont know if you like dancing and nightclubs, but the people in those clubs will be younger in Cancun than Hawaii---on average. ( if nightlife even exists right now because of the virus ? )

Which island in Hawaii depends on what you want to see. Pineapple fields or Volcanoes. I am not a fan of Honolulu but if you want to see Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor you will have no choice--and--if you go just our of town a bit you can find some very nice and exclusive hotels with private beaches to escape the madding crowds. i.e. Kahala Resort

Ir depends on what you want to do and see and what you will be allowed to do because of the virus, but have you considered San Diego. Stay at the Coronado Hotel on Coronado island. It is a very old hotel ( but nice ) with its own beach ( uncrowded ), rent a car and visit, The Zoo ( huge and impressive ), Sea World, Wild Animal safari, etc. Just a thought and it would certainly give you more on the ground vacation time and less air time

Either way, have fun !

Last edited:
Not as much experience as others but I've been to a few Hawaiian islands and only to Cabo in Mexico. I'd go back to any Hawaiian island in a heart beat. I won't say never but you'd probably have to pay me to get me back to Cabo.

mexico.gif

I'd choose Hawaii and bring along a bow if there is anything in season at the time. I'll admit most of my time in Mexico was in popular spots for other college aged kids like Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, etc. though.

Last edited:
Yep Hawaii. All inclusive hotels are amazing but it’s so damn muggy down there. Mexico is way more bang for your buck fishing is usually better as well but if it were me Hawaii is nice being an American citizen.

Not as much experience as others but I've been to a few Hawaiian islands and only to Cabo in Mexico. I'd go back to any Hawaiian island in a heart beat. I won't say never but you'd probably have to pay me to get me back to Cabo.
Here’s why the forum is helpful as a point/counterpoint :)

I am respectfully opposite. I dislike Hawaii. If I’m going that far, I don’t want to share every strip of sand with a bunch of other people and pay 2-3X to do it. Meanwhile, outside of the beach and the flora, everything is basically as it is at home (More so on Oahu and Maui, granted, but Kauai isn’t getting less crowded either).

I’ve spent a lot of time in MX. 5-6 times to the Yucatán, same amount near Cabo (we were Actually married in San Jose) 4 times near Vallarta including a couple weeks in Sayulita and la Penita in Nayarit (which is an area that is overlooked and fantastic but very close to PVR), and more trips to Mexico City, Leon, Monterey and Juarez for work than I’d care to remember (but doubt those are relevant to your search). You can be as secluded or connected as you would like in all of those places. In my case, I despise all-inclusive mega resorts and we’ve found some awesome, out of the way boutique hotels and also some great places on either VRBO/Airbnb.

For me, the culture, food, people and less crowds are what puts thos areas of Mexico well past Hawaii (and the afore-mentioned transit time). Kauai and to some degree the Big island have some of the most unique and impressive natural scenery in the world, but outside of that it feels like a suburb of San Diego to me. Oahu, except as a transit point or maybe another day or three on the bonefish flats, is somewhere I don’t think I’ll ever go to again.

caveat - I wouldnt be going to MX right now, though.

I am respectfully opposite. I dislike Hawaii. If I’m going that far, I don’t want to share every strip of sand with a bunch of other people and pay 2-3X to do it.

Well, you need to look outside the box. A 45 minute ferry ride from Maui puts you on Lana'i where there isn't a single traffic light on the entire island. No car rentals there, only jeep and other 4x4s because most of the roads are for 4x4. You can have an entire beach all to yourself and the only footprints in the sand are deer and turkey.

In this pic I stopped to hang our venison in the shade while we went for a swim to wash off the sweat and deer blood. Only thing on the beach was a whale skull.

ps. I rented a house for $45 pp per night.

20130902_154705.jpg

"Maui no ka oi" x1000!!!

Get away from the crowds- hike the lava fields and do the Hoapili trail/lighthouse/Kanaio beach hike. When you want to cool off, do the drive up to hike the Polipoli trails. Long drive, but worth it...you'll see nobody.. Splurge for lunch or dinner at Mama's and get the fish curry and a "relaxer." I fugging hate most curry, but I almost had to fight my wife for a second taste. Reservations should be made well in advance if you decide to go. Fish tacos from Coconuts and shave ice from Ululani's are must dos as well. McKenna state park's big and little beaches are nice and have good swimming/snorkeling.

Glass Eye beat me to it. But "I agree" with him.

I also had three requests via pm for a secluded but nice "Hawaii" recommendation and each time I suggested

Sensei Lanai It is a Four Season Resort right on the beach in Lanai

2Rocky---5 days there would fit the bill for "active" adults (-:

----- you will be able to Golf, Tennis, Fish, rent a sailboat and sail, rent bikes, horseback ride's, scuba and/or snorkel, zip line park, AND they have archery --pistol--clay shooting ranges (-:

and of course pool and ocean swimming.

If you still have time on your hands after all that go set on the beach and enjoy one of those drinks with fruit in them or go to the spa for a massage or both (-:

Glass Eye mentioned the jeeps which are also a fun idea. Drive to a location that looks interesting to you and go for a hike. Try to arrange to be at the end of your hike at sunset and take a flask of wine with you, two glasses would also be nice but not mandatory (-: (-:

Enjoy !

Well, you need to look outside the box. A 45 minute ferry ride from Maui puts you on Lana'i where there isn't a single traffic light on the entire island. No car rentals there, only jeep and other 4x4s because most of the roads are for 4x4. You can have an entire beach all to yourself and the only footprints in the sand are deer and turkey.

Oh, I believe you on Lana'i @glass eye, but didn't think about that in the context of '5 days'. I'll admit that I have become a little jaded on beach trips given our normal beach destination is one of the outer islands of the Bahamas and if I see more than 4 people on our 1/2 mile beach in a day I get surly about 'crowds'. And really - it's a little pot/kettle on transit time since it takes us longer (elapsed time) to get down there from Denver than it would to Hawaii even though it's 1500 miles closer.

Don't know a thing about Hawaii or Mexico (other than looking over the border near Nogales, Sasabe, Juarez, etc.)...but I did watch Sicario last night...Juarez seemed nice.
First time I was stuck in traffic on the Bridge of the Americas (2017) between El Paso and Juarez, my colleague started playing the 'bridge scene' from Sicario on Youtube in the back seat (which we later learned was filmed in an ABQ parking lot but it looks just like it)...we were non-plussed. Juarez is much tamer than it was 10-12 years ago, though. I would never have taken that project/client even 5 years earlier.

I you go to Hawaii you can sneak in some hunting too. Axis deer, Spanish goats, Mouflon sheep, pigs, turkey and Blacktail deer !!!!!! (not all are on the same island)

Back