Yeti GOBOX Collection

How young is too young to hunt.

Nick87

So I've seen an awful lot of youth hunters this year taking there first big game animal and its awesome. All of which appeared to be around 10 to 12 years old or older. Which is about the age I started. Seems about right depending on the kid. However on other sites and stuff I've seem so many kids ages 5,6,7 etc. Taking there first deer. To each his own but I just think it's a little too early I mean I don't really remember much of anything at those ages certainly not in any detail. More than a couple friends have started there kids during archery season with crossbow now. All have the same excuse the deer aren't pressured, it's warmer than during gun season etc. Seems like an awful lot of instant gratification to me. Just had this conversation with my brother over the weekend if my boys want to hunt during archery season they're gonna wait til they can draw 40 lbs we are not buying a crossgun. I mean isn't the waiting and building up to something supposed to mean something. I remember shivering my ass off and not being able to wait and donit again the next day. If you cant deal with the cold you probably dont want to hunt very bad or uour too young. Not just crossbow either plenty of them are gun hunting. I just think parents are robbing them of that build up of years of waiting for instant gratification or so they can post it up wherever. I take my 5 year old with me all the time hunting, scouting etc because he asks to go. I'm not talking about that I'm talking about taking the actual shot. Can you imagine your first deer at 5 and years later you don't even remember it? Anyway that's my rant for the day. Thoughts?

Growing up in western KS you couldn't fill a big game tag until 12, if I remember correctly. I went with my dad before that age, but as a spectator.

In my opinion, I wasn't disadvantaged in any way. I think some of the really young hunters are more a way of parents gratifying their own egos, but who knows.

My boy will be out there hunting as early as his desire to be out there and his ability to handle a rifle both coincide. Maybe that's when he's 7, maybe it's when he's 12. Time will tell. I'd say that for here in the Southeast, 12 would mean he's got a pretty thick skull disregarding safety or he's just not interested in it. 10 seems to be about the age many kids possess both qualities if they grow up around hunting and shooting.

Of course, there's also the classic "my kid shot this deer on youth day" with the parent holding up the rack of the deer that's bigger than the 3 year old that supposedly shot it.

I’m not sure young children (5-9 years) can really grasp what it means to take the life of an animal. And I think in some cases if things don’t go well with the harvest it could do more harm than good.
now with that being said folks of a certain age (old) pretty much grew up around these things on a daily basis. Killing and butchering hogs and steers and other things on a farm at a young age teaches you a lot. Sadly with the downward trend of family farms in the country many of these young hunters just aren’t exposed to these lessons before hunting. Just my 2 cents

It's all too each his own but I'm not allowing my kids to hunt until they complete an in person hunters education course. I'm not a huge supporter of the apprentice program in Montana. Saw it first hand this year as to why.... because the 10 year old couldn't process what was going on.

I think there are plenty of kids that have grown up around it and have a decent understanding when they start out. However, there's also plenty of kids that don't have an absolute clue on what is going on. I wouldn't say it's for the gram but sometimes one has to feel that way.

With all that said I've guided plenty of "experienced" adult hunters over the years that seem to be just as dangerous. 5 and 6 year olds..... yeah fukn right. Must be a Texas thing.

If the kid can't carry the weapon safely, if they can't aim it by themselves, if they can't comprehend what killing is (age 12 IMO), If they need to prop up the weapon, If they can't attend hunter education class until 10-12....they should not be out there with a license IMO. I see these 6 and 7 year olds out there and it's sad really.... IMO...No hunter education, can't even carry the gun...etc...etc. off soapbox :)

We have a whole society of parents that want their kids to have their best life now without having to wait or work for anything. They want everything now and instant. Most adult onset hunters that I have ran into have the same mentality. Everybody gets a ****in trophy. Being cold, miserable, and unsuccessful is oftentimes part of the fun you can look back on.

Remember killing my first deer at 6 with my dad had to prop the gun on the blind. Promise you there was nothing sad about it still one of my fondest memories especially now that he's gone.

I think about this a lot as my children are 8 (almost 9) and 7. Honestly I think putting a age on it is ridiculous people including children are individuals some are prepared at a much younger age then others. To say oh your 12 now so your ready is ridiculous some 12 year olds are far less ready then kids half their age depending on so many factors. I'm not a big fan of government oversight I say it should be a parents choice when their child is ready fully understanding some will abuse that system. By the way neither of my children have hunted big game yet just not ready although my oldest has really come along way next year will be his year. My daughter is not even close and at this rate won't be for some time just to wild and can't focus well enough.

Remember killing my first deer at 6 with my dad had to prop the gun on the blind. Promise you there was nothing sad about it still one of my fondest memories especially now that he's gone.

I think about this a lot as my children are 8 (almost 9) and 7. Honestly I think putting a age on it is ridiculous people including children are individuals some are prepared at a much younger age then others. To say oh your 12 now so your ready is ridiculous some 12 year olds are far less ready then kids half their age depending on so many factors. I'm not a big fan of government oversight I say it should be a parents choice when their child is ready fully understanding some will abuse that system. By the way neither of my children have hunted big game yet just not ready although my oldest has really come along way next year will be his year. My daughter is not even close and at this rate won't be for some time just to wild and can't focus well enough.
Yah I agree you can't put a number on it there are things my 3 year old can do that we still struggle with the 5 year old. Every kid is different. Your situation is different though we all know you were rocking the full beard at 6 years old so you get a pass.🤣

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back