How young is too young to hunt.

To each their own. But a kid should know what they're doing by the time they shoot a deer. Meaning they're cognitive and fully understand it. I don't think a 5 or 6 year old can grasp that.

My progression was always hunting with my dad, but just watching. Since age 6 or 7. When I was 8 or so, I got my first BB gun. There wasn't a chipmunk in the county that didn't know about me. I might have to attribute that BB gun to making me as good of a shot as I am now. My neighbor friend and I used to shoot the flower stems to knock the flowers over on his mom's flowers...

I got my first bow around the same age. Just a recurve, but man I shot that bow a lot! Then once I was 11, I got my first compound. I shot a ton that year and my first hunting season that I could legally hunt with my dad at age 11 I did. We bow hunted a lot. I missed a couple deer. But learned a ton. I did not harvest a deer the first year. I was determined that my first deer was going to be with a bow, so didn't want to shoot one with a gun.

Second year, I could hunt in my own stand and was able to harvest my first deer which was a young doe with my bow.

I've been hunting every opportunity I get since I started!

This is true, but......

Don't parents usually overestimate their children's abilities a bit? I mean, I have 4 kids too, all well above average, of course.......
Absolutely I do! but I also give him the chance to prove himself.

Obviously I’m not handing a 6yr old a rifle and sending him hunting. He’s under close direct supervision at all times. He is allowed to shoot his BB gun and compound bow on his own though. He knows if he proves me otherwise those items will disappear instantly.

Absolutely I do! but I also give him the chance to prove himself.

Obviously I’m not handing a 6yr old a rifle and sending him hunting. He’s under close direct supervision at all times. He is allowed to shoot his BB gun and compound bow on his own though. He knows if he proves me otherwise those items will disappear instantly.
As it should be.

This can be a bit of a touchy subject. As evidenced in this thread, it doesn't take long for pictures and stories to show up in what started as a discussion of age. And no surprise there, we all love our kids and view them in a positive light, and I'm guilty as well. I don't think grinning children next to animals tells the whole story, though, although I am generally happy when people spend time outdoors with their kids.

What I'm interested in is what makes enthused hunters in their 20s and 30s, and beyond. I live in whitetail country, and it's quite common that the IPad and heater get taken to the blind. Entertainment and comfort are provided right up to the shot opp, and everyone pats themselves on the back for starting them early.

Of course the kids are happy! But what I wonder is what happens when they come to the point where it's time for them to buy the ammo, get the permission, pay part of the lease, do the scouting, do their own field dressing, etc. Do they make that transition? I feel like I have seen quite a few scenarios where the kid is happy to hunt as long as others help with logistics, but once most of the responsibility is on their shoulders the motivation dries up.

On the other side of the coin, it seems like at least some of the really dedicated hunters I know grew up without a lot of help, honestly. Somehow they discovered that they love the activity, and sometimes through a lot of difficulty pursued it and became very competent. Obviously there are always outliers, which makes knowing what works and what doesn't more complicated.

With my own children I've taken a pretty casual approach. My oldest is 10, and she's probably not going to be a killer. My 7 year old likely will, but he's small for his age, and I'm not setting him up with a centerfire rifle until he's bigger. My kids do have exposure to processing, scouting, camping, canoeing, etc. Time will tell if it works or not, but admittedly I'm a lot more worried about them becoming ladies and gentlemen than hunters.

Who knows......

So I've seen an awful lot of youth hunters this year taking there first big game animal and its awesome. All of which appeared to be around 10 to 12 years old or older. Which is about the age I started. Seems about right depending on the kid. However on other sites and stuff I've seem so many kids ages 5,6,7 etc. Taking there first deer. To each his own but I just think it's a little too early I mean I don't really remember much of anything at those ages certainly not in any detail. More than a couple friends have started there kids during archery season with crossbow now. All have the same excuse the deer aren't pressured, it's warmer than during gun season etc. Seems like an awful lot of instant gratification to me. Just had this conversation with my brother over the weekend if my boys want to hunt during archery season they're gonna wait til they can draw 40 lbs we are not buying a crossgun. I mean isn't the waiting and building up to something supposed to mean something. I remember shivering my ass off and not being able to wait and donit again the next day. If you cant deal with the cold you probably dont want to hunt very bad or uour too young. Not just crossbow either plenty of them are gun hunting. I just think parents are robbing them of that build up of years of waiting for instant gratification or so they can post it up wherever. I take my 5 year old with me all the time hunting, scouting etc because he asks to go. I'm not talking about that I'm talking about taking the actual shot. Can you imagine your first deer at 5 and years later you don't even remember it? Anyway that's my rant for the day. Thoughts?
Youths are fast and confident

I think each kid is different. My oldest who is 9 this year will be hunting next year when she turns ten. She’s been shooting BB gun and 22 since she was 5. Graduated to 17hmr and 223 to 22-250. She can shoot better than most full grown men can. She understands firearm safety and has been around butchering her whole life. She has been hunting with wife and I since she was born and has been there from start to finish. There are lots of kids her age that hell even adults that aren’t as advanced in the whole thing as she is. She’s pretty bummed we didn’t get to do much coyote calling this year.
View attachment 302644View attachment 302645View attachment 302646View attachment 302647View attachment 302648View attachment 302649View attachment 302650View attachment 302651View attachment 302652
Safe to say this young lady has been immersed in the outdoors. I honestly believe I would be safer with her than some I've seen at the range. Good on you and the wife!!!

My boy is 5.5 yo and has already accompanied me on a few hunts, including backpack hunting. He wants to hunt. So I checked the regs from my state, CA, and he can hunt quite a few things, assuming he can pass his hunters safety course. So by next spring, I will give him the opportunity to hunt. We are past shooting bb guns. First hunters safety, then hands on firearm safety. Then...

Under age 12 he can hunt:
Waterfowl
Upland game birds (including turkey)
Small game
Non-game

Age 12: (can put in for junior draws, and bonus points)
Deer
Elk
Bear
Pronghorn
Pig

Age 16: (bonus points)
Sheep

Born in Sodak, I grew up in Socal, suburbs, big city. Ive lived all over the Western US and now reside in the mtns of the sierra nevadas. Call me a redneck (that also surfs), but if my kid can pass his hunters safety, and show proper discipline and respect for the weapon he carries, I will absolutely take him hunting. I shot my first pheasant at age 8. He recently helped me run a wood splitter, I did the wood, he ran the controls, fully understanding he could severe my fingers or injure both of us.

If anyone who has taken a young kid (6-8) years old hunting, I would love some recommendations for guns. .22lr and a .410 built for youth would be ideal.

My boy is 5.5 yo and has already accompanied me on a few hunts, including backpack hunting. He wants to hunt. So I checked the regs from my state, CA, and he can hunt quite a few things, assuming he can pass his hunters safety course. So by next spring, I will give him the opportunity to hunt. We are past shooting bb guns. First hunters safety, then hands on firearm safety. Then...

What percent of 5.5 year olds can even read and understand the questions on a hunters safety course test?

I started with my kids actually hunting around 8. That seemed about right. I think any younger would have been too young. It was under our mentorship program here in WI and that seemed to work well. I made it fun and they enjoyed it. I did all the heavy lifting, but more work has been required as they’ve aged. My son is 11 right now and we’re working on getting him signed up for the first hunter safety course his schedule will allow.

I posted my 9 year old’s first deer from earlier this fall. Take one look at the deer and those kids faces and tell me there was anything forced or selfish about it. Kids who don’t understand what they just did don’t smile like that.

When I was a kid the age was 12. I was definitely ready before that. At least one ten year old kid could unquestionably and safely swat ruffies with a .410. I distinctly remember that 10 year old wringing that first bird’s neck, the head separating from the body, then having to chase said carcass around in the middle of the dirt road, and then having to get out of the way as a big sedan rounded the bend. The sedan stopped so that kid could grab his bird and gave the kid a couple thumbs up as they drove off.

YMMV

Last edited:
What percent of 5.5 year olds can even read and understand the questions on a hunters safety course test?
Dont know what percent could pass hunters safety at that age. I passed it at age 7, 32 years ago. My son can read, write, and explain what aerodynamics means. Learned that from his FIL who flys helos for the CHP. He also knows what all the controls of a helo are and their function.

We have also learned gun parts and practiced gun safety with all his toy guns. He can tell you more about guns than a few guys Ive met who joined the military - scary. Kids are very smart and understand more than we give em credit for. But if I felt like my kids were not smart enough to safely handle a firearm, I would wait and continue educating them.

Not many based on my experience. I sat thru the training for all 3 of my kids. The instructors were reading the Q&A because so many kids couldn't read the test. Still, lots of dads providing the answers to the young ones taking the test. Nothing like teaching your youngster that its OK to cheat.

In my opinion it depends on the kid and the circumstances they were raised in. I'm an old fart and was raised in a different time, but here's how it was for me...

Born in Alaska, Dad a lifelong outdoorsman and Mom a full blooded Inupiat Eskimo. Alaska was a big unsettled wilderness in the 60's. At 4 years old I started going hunting with my Dad for 1 week each fall in remote Alaska (as in Denali Highway remote, 300 miles form Anchorage with not much in between). I had a toy lever action .30-30 that I took along on those hunts; the rule was, treat it like a real rifle when we are out hunting. Roger that Dad.

Did that drill with the toy rifle for 2 years, that one week and many weekends each fall. Must have passed in my Dad's eyes, as a single shot Remington .22 was under the Christmas tree when I was 6. The next fall, I got to carry that unloaded when we were hunting; if we saw ptarmigan, I got to load up and try to get one. Got a few ptarmigan that fall, and a few snowshoe rabbits that winter. I cleaned and gutted the animals that I shot myself.

I would ask to go with my Dad every time he went to shoot a new rifle or pistol. After the rifle was sighted in, I would get to shoot a few rounds at the target from 50 to 75 yards (open sights) - loading the rifle myself, operating the safety, and shooting when ready. In my lifetime, I have never had someone load a firearm for me. By the time I was 9, I showed that I could keep the shots in the black part of the target (an 8 or 9 inch circle) with our Ruger .44 Magnum Carbine out to 100 yards; as a result I got to carry the .44 Magnum hunting moose and caribou starting the fall of my 9th year. We owned 12 or 13 firearms at the time, and at 9 years old I could tell you what caliber each one was, what ammo went with that firearm, where the safety was, and how to load and unload that firearm. A kid can grasp a lot if they are interested in something, and I was REALLY interested in hunting.

When I was 11 and carrying the .44 Magnum Carbine, we saw 2 caribou about 200 yards away across an open saddle. Dad shot one, but the limit was down to 1 caribou per hunter that year due to 2 bad winters. As we sat there for a moment, I asked him if I could shoot the other one. It's too far for your rifle, he said (200 yards open sights - we hadn't practiced that far with the .44). I said, "Can I use your rifle?" It was a Winchester Model 88 in .308 caliber with a 4x Weaver scope, sighted in at 250 yards, and I had shot it at the end of his sight-in sessions. He thought for a moment, then handed me the rifle. I laid my little backpack on the ground, jacked a shell in the chamber, and got the caribou in 2 shots.

As for understanding what killing means - we lived mostly on moose and caribou meat. When we got an animal, we would bring it home and hang it in the garage. Dad would put a 1/4" plywood sheet on top the dinner table, my Mom would call her sisters, and they would cut the moose/caribou up right on the table, a quarter at a time. By the time I was 6, I had my own little knife and Mom would give me pieces of the stew meat to cut into little chunks before wrapping in freezer paper. We never kept a set of antlers, but we kept all of the meat from every animal we shot.

I know that was a different time and environment, but some kids have the ability to absorb a lot if given the opportunity. I was given that opportunity, and took advantage of it as best I could.

I remember when PA started their hunting mentor program and kids under the age of 12 could get a deer tag and go hunt as long as the adult carried the weapon and did basically everything but pull the trigger.

The newspaper that put out all the harvest pictures after gun season was filled with 3-4 year olds who couldn’t hold up the head of the 20” 10 point that “they” shot with the 300 win mag draped over the deer. Dad was in the picture grinning ear to ear!! Since then the minimum age for a mentor license has been raised and the program changed a bit for the better. No more infants with dirty diapers “filling tags”

I always felt that was a prime example of a program being abused since the kids weren’t of adequate age to actually hunt. My kids come with me when hunting but have not been put in the position to take an animal at this point. If I feel they are ready before 12 years old I guess I’ll know but at this point there is no thoughts on starting any younger.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back