Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Has Cabelas gone down hill?

Definitely. Only way I find it reasonable to buy anything there anymore is if you get discounted gift cards then purchase on a 10% off day through active junky. Otherwise they are pretty much guaranteed of being way expensive. I also find that my local store rarely has what I want anyway so I can’t even go look at it.

I have not heard anyone say anything other than downhill and fast. Certainly, it is not the cabelas of the 1990s. That said, there can be the odd nice old double gun for sale in the library at a reasonable price. Really.

Yesterday, I found 6 boxes of 20 gauge target ammo at a not inexcusable price. I bought them. Yesterday I found 6 boxes of 20 gauge target ammo at a not inexcusable price. I bought them

I used to shop regularly at Cabelas. Now that Bass pro has them I don't. Same thing is probably going to happen to sportsman's warehouse as I hear Bass pro has bought them. Bunch of that know nothing about hunting and fishing calling the shots there. Wish we had a Scheels close by.

I miss the days back in the 80's before we had a computer and I would call and speak to some very friendly and helpful customer service reps.
They could always answer my questions and everything I bought was very good quality. Sadly those days are never coming back. :(

Millions of middle-aged white dudes have cried out in horror at the loss of quality, affordable business casual clothing in the realm of plaid shirts & earth toned pants. I am chief among them.

Pour one out for my homies...same

Admittedly, I shop online since I can often double down on discounts via ActiveJunky and Raise discounted gift cards. The 10% off sometimes helps too. The last 3 guns I've bought came from there at significant discounts. I refuse to shop in their stores unless I have to because it seems their staff is woefully inexperienced.

Last edited:
Cabela's up here is coasting on fumes. Not enough people and too much competition. I think the entire corporate structure was unsustainable given their market share slipping to online retailers and all the competition selling the same things. The only way to stay competitive with a brick and mortar store is to sell cheap garbage with high margins. They're barely a notch above Walmart.

We've had a store here for about 8 years. I've shopped there maybe 5 times, 4 of those times I ended up at sportsmans warehouse or another local store to get what I was looking for. You can't stock a store with items no one uses and expect to stay in business. They have a big selection of fishing stuff, a bunch of cheap clothes and chinese made boots (about 75% of the store) the only thing worth shopping there for is the meat processing items. Everything else is just generic or can be bought elsewhere for less.

Way, way downhill.

And of all the product they’ve quit carrying over the years, somehow they’re never out of those god forsaken pop-guns that little Johnny can’t help but grab every time and rip off a few hundred pops for the duration of my visit. I mean, am I right or am I right?

Back