Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Harvesting Elk Calf

I concur on legal and then your personal stance. No shame should be felt in an area with a healthy herd.

I’ve got no shame in shooting a calf. I’ll pass on a cow and shoot a calf instead, if there’s already meat in the freezer. They’re easy to pack out, and delicious.
You get less meat from a calf, but they’re still pretty big animals. Bigger than a mulie doe.

If you have to justify it in your own mind, then you know your answer.

I wouldn't shoot a calf, because there is hardly any meat on one and they are flavorless.

Shoot what ever makes you happy and don't worry about what others say. Personally I don't shoot calves/fawns or cows/does with calves/fawns. Don't fault others if its legal and open. Most areas here do not allow for you take moose with a calf, survival rates plummet without a mother.
Not exactly the answer I would expect from a member named "Bambistew". ha ha.
We should all know the answer before we pull he trigger on whether we should or shouldn't be taking this action. Personally I try and shoot yearlings when I have an antlerless tag- this accomplishes two things - great meat and I am shooting a female.

I shot a cow once and my partner shot the calf with her. Late in November. We swapped one hindquarter and the calf roast was very good.

He had killed tons of elk, including 2 7x7s, and by the time we were hunting together was pretty much a meat hunter on elk and he preferred calves. Oddly enough, on whitetails he still hunted horns.

I grew up in GA. 2 Bucks and 10 Does was the limit. Anything legal got shot. I think for me with an elk it would depend on the status of my freezer.

If you're out hunting to fill a freezer, go for the more-meat option. Don't really see the benefit to shooting a smaller animal, if there is an option for bigger. I generally go for cow tags because they are easier to draw, and I always go for the 3-5 year cow for size and quality. We put 175 pounds in the freezer last year, would like to do it again this year if possible.

I'd consider it on a December hunt, they are decent size by then and I'd agree with @Carl9.3x62, really, really good eating... Hard pass on archery calves, I can't shoot a dog-sized elk that might still have spots on it. the 1.5-year-olds are where it's at if you are "trophy" cow hunting...

I'd agree. December and January calves are meaty enough for me. Way more meat then mule deer and you can pack one out solo in one trip if you're alright with a heavy pack. I think my last one was around an 80lb pack quartered on the bone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back