Harvesting Elk Calf

Deckerp

What's everyone's thoughts on harvesting a calf elk on an anterless tag? On the opener I was pinned back behind the main group of cows several times by two calfs and was inside 20yards of them for awhile a few times and could have gotten a shot.. so it got me thinking.

The non hunters in my life, including my wife, would probably be appalled if I shot a "baby" elk, but on the other hand they're the most likely to die of natural causes anyway I would think. I believe Remi said on his pod cast that they pack the easiest and eat the best. That said I'd prefer the additional meat of a mature cow. Comments?

What's everyone's thoughts on harvesting a calf elk on an anterless tag? On the opener I was pinned back behind the main group of cows several times by two calfs and was inside 20yards of them for awhile a few times and could have gotten a shot.. so it got me thinking.

The non hunters in my life, including my wife, would probably be appalled if I shot a "baby" elk, but on the other hand they're the most likely to die of natural causes anyway I would think. I believe Remi said on his pod cast that they pack the easiest and eat the best. That said I'd prefer the additional meat of a mature cow. Comments?
Whatever you’re happy to wrap your tag around! Forget what others say…

Mmmm. Veal.

The only downside to shooting a calf, in my opinion, is that it's less effective for population control, which is usually the main reason antlerless licenses are available in the first place. a) you're right, that calf had a higher chance of dying during the winter anyway than an adult (reproductive) cow, and b) there's a 50-50 chance you're shooting a bull calf.

If you have to justify it in your own mind, then you know your answer.

I wouldn't shoot a calf, because there is hardly any meat on one and they are flavorless.

Shoot what ever makes you happy and don't worry about what others say. Personally I don't shoot calves/fawns or cows/does with calves/fawns. Don't fault others if its legal and open. Most areas here do not allow for you take moose with a calf, survival rates plummet without a mother.

Most areas here do not allow for you take moose with a calf, survival rates plummet without a mother.
True, for solitary species. Montana mountain goat regulations don't let you take a goat in a group with kids, partly for the same reason (but also because of how hard it is for the average hunter to tell billies from nannies and they don't want you to shoot nannies in most areas).

I wouldn't worry about orphaning a calf with a species like elk that spend most of its life in large herds. Plus it can be hard to tell which calf goes with which cow when you're trying to pick a cow to shoot.

My son had a cow tag several years ago in late December. We got into a small herd and I told him to shoot the first one that gave him a broadside shot. Boom and a calf drops. My bad for not being more specific. Walked over and it was a bull and super small. Very little meat. Totally legal, but I wouldn't want to do that again.

Last day of late season elk hunt up Gallatin Canyon. We had slogged through heavy snow all morning in subzero temps up Teepee Creek (along with too many other hunters) with no success. Driving down the highway we encountered a group of hunters in the barrow pit glassing up the mountain, with a game warden standing nearby ensuring safety and proper shooting if elk spotted. I glassed up and saw an elk right away. I rested on a branch and asked the warden if I could shoot from there to which he granted permission. Boom ... and the elk rolled down the slope, with the other hunters asking, "Where was that elk?!" It was a calf laying in the snow across the Gallatin River which was partially iced over. No way could we get over by bridge, so my older brother said, "Give me the rope and keep the pickup warmed up!" Off he went wading the river through the ice and frigid waters. He tied the rope on, dragged the elk to the river and dashed back across, heading for the warm pickup. Two of us were able to drag the elk across the river and deal with dressing her out.

'Don't know whether the meat froze in the river or what, but that was the only disappointingly tasting elk meat ever. So I have not taken a calf elk since, nor plan to.

Nothin wrong with shooting a calf. I'm more inclined to shoot them later in the fall when they are bigger but doesn't really matter. A plus to shooting a calf is that you know they aren't going to be pregnant that year. I think David Petersen argues strongly for hunters killing young of the year. Can't really remember his argument but something along the lines of it being the "natural" order.

I'd consider it on a December hunt, they are decent size by then and I'd agree with @Carl9.3x62, really, really good eating... Hard pass on archery calves, I can't shoot a dog-sized elk that might still have spots on it. the 1.5-year-olds are where it's at if you are "trophy" cow hunting...

If you have to justify it in your own mind, then you know your answer.

I wouldn't shoot a calf, because there is hardly any meat on one and they are flavorless.

Shoot what ever makes you happy and don't worry about what others say. Personally I don't shoot calves/fawns or cows/does with calves/fawns. Don't fault others if its legal and open. Most areas here do not allow for you take moose with a calf, survival rates plummet without a mother.
Also it just occurred to me that, given your moniker, I'm very surprised you don't like to shoot fawns!

I shot a calf and it was the best tasting wild game meat I've ever had. Smaller than a doe, but Wife said I need to shoot one again.

Also it just occurred to me that, given your moniker, I'm very surprised you don't like to shoot fawns!
I can honestly say I've never shot a fawn or calf. I've shot a fair amount of coyote pups, and other young varmints, but no big game sub-1yos. I do confess to shooting a handful of yearling deer. I shot a freak spike elk once that had 5 points to a side, and a couple truckloads of 2-3yo bull elk.

I like eating wild meat, and little ones just don't have much meat on them. If I'm going through the effort, I want to optimize my investment. Sure you can justify it as zero meat for the same investment, but I don't really depend on wild meat. Whatever trips your trigger. People get awful worried about what others will think.

I was at full draw on a cow elk that was 20 yards away with my buddy right next to me. Before I released a calf walked out. I moved my pin and shot the calf.

Three hours later.

Me: "Thanks for helping me pack this out." (Pack out was straight up a long ways.)

Him: "Thanks for shooting the calf."

The calf meat is almost a different species. It is lighter and super good.

Shoot what you want and don't worry about what others think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohan7
Back