Caribou Gear

Handgun suggestions for first one

Well this seems all over the place to me. Mentioned pretty much everything up to a 44 mag. Word of caution on magnums. They recoil much more that I care to tolerate. As for run in's with predators, 38 spec shooting 148gr wad cutters is nice to shoot, accurate and up to a lion should do it's part if you do yours. if your rifle hunting, no handgun is going to be able to replace a rifle! And might be a good idea when bow hunting but, carry a gun with a longer barrel in case you have to use the sight's. short barrels with short sighting plane is a lot harder to make good hit's with than longer barreled guns. 6" I find about right. Go to a longer barrel than that and for me they become cumbersome. probably in truth you don't really require a handgun. Most the animals you mention will avoid you! Yea, even the bear. You run into an old grizzly having trouble finding something to eat you may have a problem but don't dump a rifle to use a handgun! If you get a handgun, don't burden yourself with a heavy magnum. More important than raw power is your ability to use effectively a cartridge you enjoy shooting. I had a colt trooper years ago, 357 mag, 4" barrel and if was not bad for carrying around. But shoot 357 mag in it and I hated it. In that gun I always shot 38 spec. If you decide on a 9mm, 10mm ect, your pretty much limiting yourself to a semi auto gun. I'd bad mouth them but it would only serve to show my favoritism for DA revolvers. For concealed carry self defense my choice is the small frame S&W Shield in 9mm. I don't shoot semi auto's very well but within about 15' it's hard to miss if you practice point and shoot and have a target about the size of a paper plate or maybe a watermelon!

In closing, probably the best handgun for you is a 22RF. Most are not heavy, shoot well and will stop a rabbit very well. All the time I've spent in the forest's in Oregon, Montana and Alaska, every dangerous animal I've come across has been more interested in leaving me than not. That old hungry bear may be a problem though.

When I first went to Montana the though of running into a grizzly had me pretty spooked and I left the 7mm mag home in favor of a 338 mag, have never seen a grizzly in the wild but pretty sure they are there and if your looking for trouble it might be the one to fool with. Hiking in fishing in Alaska I carried a Rem 660 in 308 with 200gr bullet's for that bear that might be hungry. I've seen where it had been, huge feet but again I have never seen a grizzly in the wild. I have seen 5 cougar in my life time out there but that's still a rare sight.

Smith and wesson now makes a 5 shot 44 mag with a 4.25" barrel and adjustable sights. It is Canada legal being over 4"s. can use shotloads and light loads for small game. It is pretty trim with the smaller cylinder and not much more weight than an model 19 357. The diversity of such a revolver cannot be equalled.

As far as bear protection being a reason for a pistol,,,the excellent Smith Herrero Bear spray study ruled that out as first choice.

I'm more interested in the "recent run-ins with coyotes while tracking/gutting deer". Can you elaborate on these encounters?
First off, where I live, at least for now, no grizzlies, bear = black bear. Critters that are predators: mountain lion, coyote, black bear and maybe wolf (that one is still up for debate, but a friend I trust says he saw one so.....)

Twice last year, while bow hunting tracking deer shot at dusk, coyotes were close enough to make it interesting. The closest was a deer I shot, went about 100 yards, pretty easy blood trail. By the time I shot, gave 10 minutes, checked arrow and tracked to deer, it was a very dead deer and dark. Coyotes where also onto the deer, somehow (scent??). I could hear the howls, coming closer, multiple doggies. By the time I was half done gutting, I could hear them in the brush still howling. My guess is well inside 50 yards. Shining the light saw eyes once. My wife was coming in with the cart and was on the phone with me making sure I was safe, I didn't feel safe. I shouted at them, they'd back off, or at least go quite, then start up again.

They didn't follow us as we moved the gutted deer out of there, but they were still close. Next morning gut pile was gone.

Not a comfy feeling.

With over 20 years experience in firearms training and instruction, I urge you to find a professional firearms instructor first before buying anything. I'm assuming that you're in WY by your username and I have no idea where to direct you, but a call the Gunsite Academy in AZ may lead you to a referral in your area. I highly recommend anything written by the founder of Gunsite, the late Col. Jeff Cooper, or one of his former training directors, the late Louis Awerbuck (may he rest in peace), or Clint Smith. Even a little training by a truly qualified professional will be a fantastic experience. A qualified pro might be a local instructor at your sheriff or police dept, but also may not be a qualified pro despite his or her offered credentials. A little vetting work will go a long way, but it will be worth it.

p.s. Your friend may be a good guy, but he is not helping you in the least in this regard.
I have the greatest respect for Jeff Cooper. In one corner of my safe are my three "Cooper Guns". A flawlessly functionind Series 70 Colt Commnader in .45 ACP of course. Improved sights and original hard rubber Colt Grips.

Also a .308 Scout Rifle and a Colt Ar-15 with targer sights and heavy bulley twist. i have honored the "Col" fully.

That said for the bush , for hunting, for archey backup,,for small game,,with shotloads for the grouse in the tree,,,I would go with revolver all the time, I like the 5 shot 44 Smoyh and Wesson with 4.25" barrel ..legal for Canada

Sig p365
Go grab on to some. You'll figure it out. Once you do, shoot the shit out if it. No training needed. mtmuley
I second the motion.

I've got a sig p365xl, is small enough to be light weight but still has enough grip to be able to control it well. Ive carried it in the woods a few times in case the dogs couldn't catch the hog and it think it'll fit all of your criteria.

Like I tell anyone,when you're dealing with self protection don't skimp on quality for the sake of a few hundred dollars. I say buy once cry once.

Sig p365

I second the motion.

I've got a sig p365xl, is small enough to be light weight but still has enough grip to be able to control it well. Ive carried it in the woods a few times in case the dogs couldn't catch the hog and it think it'll fit all of your criteria.

Like I tell anyone,when you're dealing with self protection don't skimp on quality for the sake of a few hundred dollars. I say buy once cry once.
It's the same as selecting a rifle. It needs to fit and feel right. Pick a cartridge and platform that fits what you need. It ain't rocket science. mtmuley

I just looked up the energy difference between the 10 mm auto and the 44 mag in a revolver. The 44 mag has about 1/3 more energy. One load had the 10mm at 650 f/pounds and the 44 mag at 999 foot pounds.

What did you come up with.

I just looked up the energy difference between the 10 mm auto and the 44 mag in a revolver. The 44 mag has about 1/3 more energy. One load had the 10mm at 650 f/pounds and the 44 mag at 999 foot pounds.

What did you come up with.
I haven't done any comparisons between the two. It depends on what bullet is being loaded between the two cartridges. I have come to the realization that 16 rounds is more than 6. Just where I am going for now. mtmuley

I haven't done any comparisons between the two. It depends on what bullet is being loaded between the two cartridges. I have come to the realization that 16 rounds is more than 6. Just where I am going for now. mtmuley
And the fact that foot pounds of energy doesn’t mean anything to a bear. CNS shot or you’re getting chewed on.

I’ve yet to see someone who could not shoot a Glock due to the grip angle. Ever.
The grip angle is greater than most other semi-autos. It takes a little bit to get used to the difference but is not drastic. I shot S&W for many years and when on the range I shot a few Glocks and the difference is noticeable especially when your doing shooting drills. I would always shoot high compared to my S&W's. It just takes a little time to get used to it then all is good.

Grip angle may be different, but sights and triggers still work the same.

Buying a sidearm, and the subsequent holster, are both very personal.
What works for me, may not for someone else.
When my daughter was looking for her carry pistol, she asked me what she should get.
My response was, "whichever fits your hand, and sights naturally align, and you like the trigger".
I wasn't concerned about cartridge choice, as she had shot 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP.

My advice.
Go to a few gunshops. Not just one. And pick up as many different ones as you can.
Look in a safe direction. Does the gun come up & sights naturally align, or do you need to shift the gun or your hands to make them align?
Ask if you can dry fire it.
There are pistols i won't buy, even if it fits well & sights align due to a poor trigger.

I have the greatest respect for Jeff Cooper. In one corner of my safe are my three "Cooper Guns". A flawlessly functionind Series 70 Colt Commnader in .45 ACP of course. Improved sights and original hard rubber Colt Grips.

Also a .308 Scout Rifle and a Colt Ar-15 with targer sights and heavy bulley twist. i have honored the "Col" fully.

That said for the bush , for hunting, for archey backup,,for small game,,with shotloads for the grouse in the tree,,,I would go with revolver all the time, I like the 5 shot 44 Smoyh and Wesson with 4.25" barrel ..legal for Canada
Absolutely - my love for a good revolver is unabashed. I've got a 3" Model 629 that is great for the same task. My suggestions was to get training first and not rely on "point and shoot".

I have oodles. But I only ever use 2 unless I want a concealed ankle carry.
My 2 guns:
Ruger GP100. What I take for back country and pack outs and lots of carry in my truck.
High capacity auto like a Springfield XDM 10mm. I have a XD 9 also for practice shooting.
Lots of choices

This doesn't make any sense.
Re: Glock grip angle: Glocks have a grip angle which requires you to hold it differently than other pistols. Also, even if you learn to roll your wrist, the wide grip doesn't fit in many peoples hands well enough to point naturally. You have to train to use it well. If you do so you have the the AK47 of the pistol world, which is what it is depending on your point of view, I guess.

I am aware lots and lots of people have been indoctrinated into the Glock and just love them. No big deal. They'll work well enough if you're up to it. If you've spent the most of your time with a Glock that may sound off the wall. I started with pistols having more modern, refined designs. So it was a surprise to me that I had to make changes and effort to get the Glock to meet the standard for utility to which I was accustomed.

My post was for the OP who probably wouldn't know about all that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back