Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Handgun suggestions for first one

Bob-WY

The previous thread on importance of owning handguns moved me along this path. I've been "on the fence" whether I would get one. I have no interest in daily carry, this is pushed by recent run-ins with coyotes while tracking/gutting deer, add in wolves moving into the area and the mountain lions that are here. I am looking for a handgun to carry while bowhunting for the above.

I have never owned a handgun, I have shot one, but years ago. I own several long guns and bows, but no experience with handguns.

Suggestions? One friend I asked suggested a revolver "point and shoot, no issues" was his view.

With over 20 years experience in firearms training and instruction, I urge you to find a professional firearms instructor first before buying anything. I'm assuming that you're in WY by your username and I have no idea where to direct you, but a call the Gunsite Academy in AZ may lead you to a referral in your area. I highly recommend anything written by the founder of Gunsite, the late Col. Jeff Cooper, or one of his former training directors, the late Louis Awerbuck (may he rest in peace), or Clint Smith. Even a little training by a truly qualified professional will be a fantastic experience. A qualified pro might be a local instructor at your sheriff or police dept, but also may not be a qualified pro despite his or her offered credentials. A little vetting work will go a long way, but it will be worth it.

p.s. Your friend may be a good guy, but he is not helping you in the least in this regard.

A Ruger GP100 .357Magnum is a great choice. A reliable tried and true firearm. Commonly used as a "woodsman gun" in places where grizzlies are not the primary concern. Can practice with lower recoil and cheaper .38 special ammo.

And to the latter point, PRACTICE is more important than gun choice. Being able to draw weapon and successfully hit a 6" circle under stress is the difference between a useful handgun and a paperweight.

.357 Desert Eagle, I can't hit sheet with any other pistol, but I can hit
an empty propane cylinder at 100yds 4 out of 5 times with the .357 💥

p.s. Your friend may be a good guy, but he is not helping you in the least in this regard.
Why is this. Revolvers are the most commonly recommended "woodsman" pistol option. I have a GP100 and a Sig10mmAuto - both are great, there is a place for revolvers and semi-autos, but why is a revolver recommendation "not helping you in the least"?

Last edited:
Glock. Or a revolver in 357. Probably a Glock, 9mm or 10mm, your choice (you didnt mention bears and 9mm is less expensive to shoot, so....).

Go to a range that rents handguns with a friend or family member that knows what they're doing and try some out. Handguns are like rifles in that you'll find some fit you better than others.

Training isn't a bad idea either, not so much for the casual usage, but there is a skillset and craft behind handgunning that can be tough to master as an adult. Training will help you focus on marksmanship and how to handle pressure situations. I wouldn't say it's mandatory unless your state calls for it though.

In the woods, I carry a double action revolver when I carry. Either a S&W 686 4" .357 or a S&W 29 4" .44 mag.

I've always loved the S&W 686- as others have said, .357 is a great load, but you can save money and recoil by shooting .38's through it.
That said if you want to shoot a lot and get good, get a .22 Find a Ruger Mark II and buy it.

I have a S&W 586 in 4". Really classic pistol and reminds me of the Colt Python. Smooth and accurate. I keep a round of bird shot in it for rattlers. It is .357 and will knock down most animals and humans if the need arises. I have an H&K USP compact in .40 S&W that never fails if you want a great semi auto.

What do you want? Just buy that. Stick with a common caliber (cheaper to shoot) and reputable manufacturers (Glock, S&W, Sig, etc); Stay away from the cheap pistols. Handle/shoot as many as you can.

As for training, don't lose your mind about it. Practice as much as you can afford. If you want some recommendations on some youtube channels that know what they are doing, shoot me a PM. The reality is you are never going to become a gunfighter, but you will have some fun and piece of mind.

FWIW, a revolver capable of shooting double and single action in 38/357 sounds like a good choice to me....it will give you a longer sight radius for more accurate shots if you need to pop a varmint....

M&P Shield EZ in 9mm or .357 revolver. Not sure where all the coyote concerns are coming from though.

If you're carrying in the field and looking for protection against predators I would suggest a Judge. It shoots .410 shot shells. It's my main defense gun in my living room with my back to a sliding glass door. In the 20 feet it is to the door I can put the 3 000 buckshot pellets into a paper plate. It would be a great predator defense weapon and easy to carry.

I've always loved the S&W 686- as others have said, .357 is a great load, but you can save money and recoil by shooting .38's through it.
That said if you want to shoot a lot and get good, get a .22 Find a Ruger Mark II and buy it.
If I carry some when out screwing around in the woods here in MN; it is my Ruger Mark I Target. It has put quite a few grouse in the pan and claimed its fair share of vermin....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back