Caribou Gear Tarp

Half Ton Truck C vs E Ply Tires

bisblue

Hey folks,
Selling my 2001 Dodge Diesel with 360K and getting a newer (used) F150. I tow a max of 6000 pounds or so, but only use the truck for pulling pack llamas and hunting. I have an around town car. I've always run E ply tires on my work trucks including half tons (land management), but wondering if other folks do as well?

We moved last year from Nevada to Central Idaho, and Nevada was a serious tire killer. Just wondering if other folks in the West use E ply on half ton trucks.

20200702_174248.jpg

i keep tires on 12. 1/2 ton trucks. 50/50 gravel pavement, 10plies only,,
many times a c tire might have 12/32 tread, and a e tire 18 or 19/32

I'm a bit of a worrier about flats and don't want to deal with them, so I run 10 plys on my half ton. Virtually no MPG difference compared to C's that came from the factory. In fact, they only weight ~2lbs more per tire.

Nevada roads are a nightmare. Much friendlier in idaho where i reside, but I never run less than 10 ply.

See I thought the opposite....But apparently Canadian Hockey players don't have to deal with flats very often eh?

Stick with E’s if you plan on any gravel road driving. I tried C’s once and gravel roads turned into ice picks. Had 2 flats within a few miles. Switched to E’s and haven’t had a flat on a gravel road since.

You can use an e rated tire in a half ton and keep the psi down. It'll still jar you more than a c or d tire. Tire makers like goodyear make the duratracs in a c or d, might be worth a look. I ran the bf goodrich ko2s in a c range once and they were garbage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back