H.R. 8828 introduced -Leghold and conibear traps

Sure, and a sword that cuts both ways...and some people have longer memories than others.
Certainly. That said, a GFY approach probably won't build the bridges trappers will likely need.

There are assholes in both groups, and neither is unilaterally right. There's a hell of a lot of collaborative middle ground being missed here, IMO.

Vikingsguy, and 406, and anyone else in their boat; how many of you have actually trapped? By trapped, I mean actually put out and ran an extensive line for any period of time? I’m not talking trapping the random chicken thieven vermin either, I mean a truck load of traps, miles on the truck, fur producing line for profit? I’ll also state that I’m not asking this question with any level of sarcasm or maliciousness; rather I’m trying to get a handle on where you’re coming from with your point of view? It’s hard to have this dialog over a keyboard and understand exactly where everyone’s coming from.

I have already stated that I have never trapped. I also said I do not have a problem with trapping.

All of the ground has been plowed several times now.

Buzz is incorrect about bird seasons being extended recently,,,, unless going back more than thirty years is recent.

If trappers expect me to give up opportunity to bird hunt in December without comment, they are mistaken.

Certainly. That said, a GFY approach probably won't build the bridges trappers will likely need.
Agreed...but the conversation in regard to bird hunters and trapper conflicts/pet owners ahs never started with anything other a big GFY toward trappers either, at least in my experience at various GF commission meetings, FWP meetings, etc.

For the record, I provided testimony in Wyoming to the WGF regarding this very subject...more toward pet owners than bird hunter conflicts.

My suggestion was number 3 on the list I provided. Educate the trappers AND the pet owners and let them sort it out that way. The pet owners want to put 100% of the liability on trappers, 100% of the time. Not once have I seen a single bird hunter or single pet owner offer up anything for a compromise. Their answer is to ban trapping in some way or another...from outright statewide ban, banning trapping near trails, banning trapping on State ground, the list goes on and on and on.

What are they giving?

You ask them to keep ol' rover on a leash in high potential conflict areas and you're taking "their babies" right away to be "a free spirit". Yeah, what about my right to be a free spirit with a handful of snares?

I'm all about common sense and compromise, the trouble is, in my experience compromise is largely not one on this issue...

I have already stated that I have never trapped. I also said I do not have a problem with trapping.

All of the ground has been plowed several times now.

Buzz is incorrect about bird seasons being extended recently,,,, unless going back more than thirty years is recent.

If trappers expect me to give up opportunity to bird hunt in December without comment, they are mistaken.
No, I'm not wrong on the season extensions...FACT.

I tried looking it up to with no success but I was thinking it was around 10 years ago when everything was moved to January 1st but I could be wrong on that

I tried looking it up to with no success but I was thinking it was around 10 years ago when everything was moved to January 1st but I could be wrong on that
Yep...

I'll dig around and see if I can find some old grouse regulations, the season ended with general deer and elk...along with fishing season on a lot of rivers (with the exception of whitefish).

It was about 2004-2006 or so.

As I recall, the season was extended by about 10-14 days.

Edit: I see buzz posted the old regs below. 15 day increase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just two observations
1. The collective "we" don't really have any connection to furs and trapping anymore. It's hard to care about something at a high level when you have no exposure to it. We talk about this all the time in terms of recruiting new hunters. I don't own a single article of fur, and not for any reason other than I just don't.
2. There has been a long term trend towards dogs no longer being dogs, they are now part of the family. Our dog growing up was a watch/guard dog, it stayed on a cable run all day while we were away. Now it's way more common for dogs to sleep in the house, on the couch or the bed, they've become more of a family member than just a "dog". So I think the loss of just a few dogs has been elevated higher on the public give-a-shit list. Similar to how harm to children is treated differently than harm to adults.

I'm not going to weigh in, as I've never trapped and can't hardly keep my bird dog in the same county as me.

Agreed...but the conversation in regard to bird hunters and trapper conflicts/pet owners ahs never started with anything other a big GFY toward trappers either, at least in my experience at various GF commission meetings, FWP meetings, etc.

For the record, I provided testimony in Wyoming to the WGF regarding this very subject...more toward pet owners than bird hunter conflicts.

My suggestion was number 3 on the list I provided. Educate the trappers AND the pet owners and let them sort it out that way. The pet owners want to put 100% of the liability on trappers, 100% of the time. Not once have I seen a single bird hunter or single pet owner offer up anything for a compromise. Their answer is to ban trapping in some way or another...from outright statewide ban, banning trapping near trails, banning trapping on State ground, the list goes on and on and on.

What are they giving?

You ask them to keep ol' rover on a leash in high potential conflict areas and you're taking "their babies" right away to be "a free spirit". Yeah, what about my right to be a free spirit with a handful of snares?

I'm all about common sense and compromise, the trouble is, in my experience compromise is largely not one on this issue...
I'm not insinuating or saying they are giving anything. By and large, they are not. The simple fact is, they don't have to. It would be like me trying to tell the Galts how to manage elk on their ranch. I have no leverage. At all. Hence the reason it baffles me when I read some comments here that put all of the responsibility on the dog handler. I consider myself pretty common sense and proficient, and I've had a few WTF moments reading this thread.

I cannot fathom why someone would WANT to put snares in a potentially high conflict area. There are public land places I just don't take my dog for training, because the potential for conflict is there and it's not worth it to me.

I'm bowing out. I'm not a trapper and I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't support over regulation, but that's the knee jerk reaction by pretty much all parts of society is to make something they don't like illegal. I truly wish you guys who do trap the best. You'll need it, and I'm saying that as an honest observation, not out of snark.

It was about 2006 or so.
Sounds about right. The reason I remember it, I was at a FWP meeting in Missoula and ONE bird hunter was there at the meeting and when it was his turn to talk, in support of the season extension, he was limited to 5 minutes. That after listening to 2 hours of lion hunters, one after another, drone on about making trophy cat areas.

You can say it a thousand times and it won't be a fact. I have been avidly hunting bird for the last thirty years. The ONLY change of consequence in that time has been to shorten the season for sage grouse.

I'm not insinuating or saying they are giving anything. By and large, they are not. The simple fact is, they don't have to. It would be like me trying to tell the Galts how to manage elk on their ranch. I have no leverage. At all.

I cannot fathom why someone would WANT to put snares in a potentially high conflict area. There are public land places I just don't take my dog for training, because the potential for conflict is there and it's not worth it to me.

I'm bowing out. I'm not a trapper and I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't support over regulation, but that's the knee jerk reaction by pretty much all parts of society is to make something they don't like illegal. I truly wish you guys who do trap the best. You'll need it, and I'm saying that as an honest observation, not out of snark.
I totally agree about putting snares in high use areas, and that was exactly what I proposed to the GF. Trapper education for all, pet owners included.

I also agree on the knee jerk reaction.

I still think with pet owners, bird hunters, and trappers educating themselves a lot of the conflicts go away.

The bigger picture for me, is the sad fact the world is shrinking and there's more and more people using more and more areas. To the point that conflicts are inevitable. I think all users need to assume some level of risk.

You can say it a thousand times and it won't be a fact. I have been avidly hunting bird for the last thirty years. The ONLY change of consequence in that time has been to shorten the season for sage grouse.
You still want to argue...or shut your soup cooler?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back