Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

H.R. 8828 introduced -Leghold and conibear traps

It was about 2004-2006 or so.

As I recall, the season was extended by about 10-14 days.

Edit: I see buzz posted the old regs below. 15 day increase.
Yep, and there was one before that as well that extended mountain grouse season from the end of regular general elk and deer season to Dec. 15. Cant say for sure about pheasants.

I remember debating on whether or not to buy a $1, resident youth license when I only had 4 days to hunt (turned 12 in late November). I sprung for the license, which I still have, and never saw a grouse.

Ha!...actually I'm wrong, the bird license was $2...same as elk and deer youth tags, no wonder I remember debating about buying it.

Memory is slipping...

Last edited:
Yep, and there was one before that as well that extended mountain grouse season from the end of regular general elk and deer season to Dec. 15. Cant say for sure about pheasants.

I remember debating on whether or not to buy a $1, resident youth license when I only had 4 days to hunt (turned 12 in late November). I sprung for the license, which I still have, and never saw a grouse.
Without derailing this thread, research indicates the guys thumping grouse with their bows in early September are doing much more harm to grouse populations than they guys using shotties in December.

Without derailing this thread, research indicates the guys thumping grouse with their bows in early September are doing much more harm to grouse populations than they guys using shotties in December.
really? I wouldn't have guessed that.

The sharpies are doing really well here last few years in eastern Montana. Of course they can make a living in almost any habitat around here

The sharpies are doing really well here last few years in eastern Montana. Of course they can make a living in almost any habitat around here
Sorry, I was referring more to forest grouse.

Sorry, I was referring more to forest grouse.
Yep I figured that. Something I’ve never had the opportunity to hunt. Have had a few make me come out of my skin hiking out of the mountains though

Always gonna be the "REI" crowd. Some how, some way they chip away. Weird there seems to be a bunch of that crowd here lately. mtmuley
I’m certainly not the REI crowd, but I know and converse with a number of them. They are public land users just like you and me.

It's interesting, I was thinking that trapping was different that hunting because if the inherent risk of bycatch. Similar to fishing, you can "target" a species with different tools and practices but by catch still happens.

Then I remembered that kid on IG who shot those poor German shepherds while "wolf" hunting. So maybe there's some bycatch in all of it. https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/wolves-or-german-sheperds.274230/

It's interesting, I was thinking that trapping was different that hunting because if the inherent risk of bycatch. Similar to fishing, you can "target" a species with different tools and practices but by catch still happens.

Then I remembered that kid on IG who shot those poor German shepherds while "wolf" hunting. So maybe there's some bycatch in all of it. https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/wolves-or-german-sheperds.274230/
Seriously? mtmuley

Another thing to consider is that these bird seasons used to shut down the end of General season, end of November (talking Montana). Funny thing is, I used to actually be able to find a few grouse when the season didn't run for 6 months as well. Now, every area I used to hunt for grouse has a couple fancy pants bird hunters with 2K shotguns and pack of bird dogs going through like a hoover vacuum cleaner...for 6 months. Cant hardly find a bird after they get done.

This opportunity at all costs and these huge season extensions pushed from bird hunters IS the cause of a lot of the conflict. Those saying that trappers must compromise are not willing to compromise a single day of opportunity on their end.

That's not how compromise is supposed to work, that's one side getting their way, the other side getting it broken off in their ass...

Shorten bird seasons, wouldn't hurt to have a few more birds around at the end of the season anyway.
Spot on....

Next question for the same folks that I addressed in my last post. Do any of you own suppressor, any hi cap mags (above 10), own an AR?

...also, what’s your feelings on bear baiting, thermal scopes, crossbows??

Yep. Sorry to bring reality into the discussion.
This is where I become at a loss for words. At least words that are appropriate for this forum.
The tyranny of the majority sure sucks for minorities. Sure wish I lived in a society that values the rights of minorities.

Wait...I am supposed to....

Once again I am glad I live where I live. A State where trappers are valued and that views trapping as the commercial endeavor that it is. Evidenced by the fact that we pay excise taxes on every pelt that gets shipped out of State.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back