H.R. 8828 introduced -Leghold and conibear traps

Brandon270

In the grand scheme of dumpster fire messes that need to be cleaned up in DC, I don't think this one rises to the level of need necessary to get solid action to run with it in both houses.

It is a silly bill, and will draw the ire of the Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies, Western Assn of F&W agencies, the AWCP and so many others that have serious clout on the Hill. Virtue signaling with tax dollars at it's finest.

I don't think this would be hard to push through, you are right, even alot of sportsman have issues with trapping.

I can't think of any other bill I've read that has given a money reward for turning in information on someone else. That is super sketchy to me

In the grand scheme of dumpster fire messes that need to be cleaned up in DC, I don't think this one rises to the level of need necessary to get solid action to run with it in both houses.

It is a silly bill, and will draw the ire of the Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies, Western Assn of F&W agencies, the AWCP and so many others that have serious clout on the Hill. Virtue signaling with tax dollars at it's finest.
And leftists being leftists.

Yes, this is leftist virtue signaling. If it were right wing virtue signaling, Ted Cruz would reintroduce Mike Lee's bill to sell off your public lands.

Huh, so it's ok to give an inch on this stuff? Can't wait to see the miles they take in the next few years...

Huh, so it's ok to give an inch on this stuff? Can't wait to see the miles they take in the next few years...

What?

And that's the predicament we are in. I will say the guys that want to sell public lands are easier to deal with than the anti hunting, anti gun types.

They're all jackasses, pal. There's a reason congress has a lower approval rating than COVID-19.

Personally im against anything that takes anything away from our community as a whole, fishing, hunting, trapping. I have never trapped, honestly i wouldnt no where to start. I was amazed at all the things Steve and his guests brought up on the Meateater Podcast this week.

With that said I am in the band wagon of raise a bitch about any bill no matter if think will make it far or not. Its the only way we as the hunting, fishing, trapping community will keep the death by a thousand cuts from continuing.

I don't think this would be hard to push through, you are right, even alot of sportsman have issues with trapping.

I can't think of any other bill I've read that has given a money reward for turning in information on someone else. That is super sketchy to me
These sportsman should think a little deeper if they have an issue with trapping. Lets take a quick look at what predator game animals get trapped and how these animals have an impact on hunting and fishing.

Racoon - one of the main predators for eating waterfowl eggs during nesting either on the ground or in trees.

Skunks - game bird egg eaters.

Fox (red or grey) - ground nester eggs for waterfowl and upland game birds, upland game birds as they mature or are mature. Rabbits and Hares.

Coyotes - anything the above three have listed plus deer fawns up to mature deer.

Muskrat - build dens in the soil infrastructure of water reservoirs made to build wetlands for game species and compromises the structure of the water reservoir.

Otter - eating trout, and other fish species that are game fish. Size of the fish doesn't really matter to them.

This is just a small example of how trapping these species will reduce predators on fish/game that outdoor sportsman are interested in and also help reduce damage and maintenance to wildlife project work like water retainment that is supposed to improve fish/game animal habitat.

Anyone who doesn’t have an issue with a ban on trapping obviously doesn’t have an issue with wolves eating elk, moose, and deer. They also don’t have an issue with coyote predation on fawns......they most like also are largely ignorant and uninformed

Anyone who doesn’t have an issue with a ban on trapping obviously doesn’t have an issue with wolves eating elk, moose, and deer. They also don’t have an issue with coyote predation on fawns......they most like also are largely ignorant and uninformed

What do you propose they eat?

First of all, I object to making this a federal issue (literally). The states are the right place for this discussion. That being said, in my state the number of sportsmen who hunt with dogs far outnumber the few who hunt with conabear traps, and frankly, the "we have to stick together" spin is wearing very thin here. Why does, "us sticking together", mean your preferred form of trap is more important than my dogs' lives? Couldn't sticking together mean we would restrict types of traps that endanger fellow outdoorsman and their dogs while celebrating other forms of trapping? What a total BS approach by the trapping folks here - and what is happening is that within a few years all trapping will be outlawed because the small trapping group has been so belligerent and disrespectful to the grouse hunters that they are losing that group's support altogether. Not good politics, not neighborly, and not leftist.

What do you propose they eat?
exactly what I have come to expect.... I’m sure by my response most picked Up I was in no way talking about changing any canis diet. What I’m saying is, predator numbers need to be managed just like unTula tea do. That management is not going to come from callers and hound hunters alone.

First of all, I object to making this a federal issue (literally). The states are the right place for this discussion. That being said, in my state the number of sportsmen who hunt with dogs far outnumber the few who hunt with conabear traps, and frankly, the "we have to stick together" spin is wearing very thin here. Why does, "us sticking together", mean your preferred form of trap is more important than my dogs' lives? Couldn't sticking together mean we would restrict types of traps that endanger fellow outdoorsman and their dogs while celebrating other forms of trapping? What a total BS approach by the trapping folks here - and what is happening is that within a few years all trapping will be outlawed because the small trapping group has been so belligerent and disrespectful to the grouse hunters that they are losing that group's support altogether. Not good politics, not neighborly, and not leftist.
I'm trying to figure out how grouse dog would get caught in a kill set?

Already discussed and approved at the state level in Michigan.

Well I can say that the state of Michigan hunters and trappers have stuck together. Please take a look at the Michigan Fur Harvester Digest Regulations (pages 22-33).

Michigan Fur Harvester Digest

A little history and reasoning for trapping.
Fine Fur 10.30.01 national vers (michigan.gov)

Minnesota does have regulation similar to Michigan.
2020 Hunting and Trapping Regulations (state.mn.us)

Last edited:
Maybe they hunt grouse with a wiener dog. Lol

So we can see the problem that is the biggest target against trapping, is the exception and not the rule. The focus is much the same as was brought up with raptors and lead ingestion.

If there is one case of a dog caught in a trap or one eagle that dies of lead poisoning, that is too many. It gets worse as examples start to be brought up and it is then an emotional topic and name calling becomes a part of the debate, turning it into an argument...

So we can see the problem that is the biggest target against trapping, is the exception and not the rule. The focus is much the same as was brought up with raptors and lead ingestion.

If there is one case of a dog caught in a trap or one eagle that dies of lead poisoning, that is too many. It gets worse as examples start to be brought up and it is then an emotional topic and name calling becomes a part of the debate, turning it into an argument...
My post was in jest. However, I would hope that most trappers would adjust their setups if they were catching pets. I caught the neighbors dog and pulled all my sets there after I released it. It wasn’t how I wanted to interact with my neighbors. I don’t need a law to tell me that was the right thing to do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back