H.R. 8828 introduced -Leghold and conibear traps

My post was in jest. However, I would hope that most trappers would adjust their setups if they were catching pets. I caught the neighbors dog and pulled all my sets there after I released it. It wasn’t how I wanted to interact with my neighbors. I don’t need a law to tell me that was the right thing to do.

Understood, my point exactly. Responsible trapping would be done away from high public traffic but the anti-trapping sentiment would still focus on the pet that got caught, regardless of where or how often...

I'm trying to figure out how grouse dog would get caught in a kill set?
Large conabear traps (body grip traps) set at ground level easily trap a dog and crush its windpipe. There have been attempts to limit their use to underwater and elevated above waist level only, but this is sporadically the case so folks want them banned - not all trapping just this particularly dangerous type.

It won’t go anywhere. This time. But someday it will. And if you’re 30 like me, you’ll see it say hunting deer with a bolt action rifle before you die. And that won’t go anywhere either. Until it does.
The days of hunting and trapping on public lands may have some decades left, but your grandkids won’t be doing it when they’re old. I think that’s an uncomfortable reality.

It won’t go anywhere. This time. But someday it will. And if you’re 30 like me, you’ll see it say hunting deer with a bolt action rifle before you die. And that won’t go anywhere either. Until it does.
The days of hunting and trapping on public lands may have some decades left, but your grandkids won’t be doing it when they’re old. I think that’s an uncomfortable reality.
I'm 31 in CA...I'm getting to see it 15-20 years ahead of everyone else.

I'm trying to figure out how grouse dog would get caught in a kill set?

Lots of dogs get caught in traps during upland hunting. Especially in snares set for coyotes which do not have to follow the same regulations as licensed trappers seeking classified furbearers. The leghold traps, probably less so, but it has been increasing in areas of higher population where set backs are either ignored or are non-existant. Lots of bird dog clubs out there that offer lessons in how to free your dog from snares & other traps.

Some dogs find the M44 coyote bombs too. Kills' em quick, but you still have to watch your dog die from cyanide poisonings, which isn't pretty.

A few years ago while competing in some field trials in Canada, I visited with a rancher who snared coyotes in the winter. He said a normal year was on the order of 250 of them each winter. I took that to mean he was good at it.

He also said he would not set a snare within three or so miles of a ranch house. (Rural Alberta has more elbow than most of the USA.) He did that so that he did not kill neighbors' dogs. He said the average dog is VERY easy to lure into a trap or snare set.

As the rural parts of our country fill up, there is going to be more conflict between trappers and people who get a pet killed by a snare or conibear trap. So, this issue is only going to get hotter over time.

While I don't want one of my dogs to get caught in a leg hold trap,,,,snares and conibear traps are a far more lethal risk.

Large conabear traps (body grip traps) set at ground level easily trap a dog and crush its windpipe. There have been attempts to limit their use to underwater and elevated above waist level only, but this is sporadically the case so folks want them banned - not all trapping just this particularly dangerous type.
See page 49 in Minnesota Hunting and Trapping Regulations. There are regulations for conibear size and usage (specific to dryland and wetland). There is also a directions on how to remove a conibear off of a dog if he found an illegally set trap earlier in the regulations. If you find an illegal set trap, look for a tag and get the information from it. If there is not a tag set the trap off and turn the location in to regulatory. Decent trappers follow regulations. Dogs do not help trappers by getting caught.

We see the conflict here between the trappers and non-hunter/trappers. The problem is the trappers don't give a crap, and will lay blame on the pet owners citing "leash laws" virtually every time a dog is caught/killed. Rather than maybe not trapping along popular trails and avoiding the conflict. Its not wide spread, but they don't make any friends, and the local trapper association could care less. There are countless miles of area to trap, yet some find it necessary to set along popular trails, which there are few.

Last edited:
See page 49 in Minnesota Hunting and Trapping Regulations. There are regulations for conibear size and usage (specific to dryland and wetland). There is also a directions on how to remove a conibear off of a dog if he found an illegally set trap earlier in the regulations. If you find an illegal set trap, look for a tag and get the information from it. If there is not a tag set the trap off and turn the location in to regulatory. Decent trappers follow regulations. Dogs do not help trappers by getting caught.
Yup - I noted that more generally, and also noted that those regs are not that effective and annual kill rate is about the same. Also, FYI the guy leading the charge in MN is himself a life long trapper - no leftist. I myself want to hunt beaver up at our land and some day I will get around to it, but I will make sure what I do is on my own private property and even then with a heavy focus on dog safety.

Lots of dogs get caught in traps during upland hunting. Especially in snares set for coyotes which do not have to follow the same regulations as licensed trappers seeking classified furbearers. The leghold traps, probably less so, but it has been increasing in areas of higher population where set backs are either ignored or are non-existant. Lots of bird dog clubs out there that offer lessons in how to free your dog from snares & other traps.

Some dogs find the M44 coyote bombs too. Kills' em quick, but you still have to watch your dog die from cyanide poisonings, which isn't pretty.
If a bird hunter is in control of his dog a snare isnt much of a danger. And to suggest bird dogs being snared on a regular basis is a reality just isnt true.
Foot hold traps are of zero danger to a bird dog.
As for connibears. Most sets are under water or up in trees.

Sadly this is true. And it's worth noting that these sorts of things will be voted into law by leftist that so many on this sight are enthralled with.

If a bird hunter is in control of his dog a snare isnt much of a danger. And to suggest bird dogs being snared on a regular basis is a reality just isnt true.
My buddy and I have both had our dogs caught in snares while hunting pheasants and they absolutely can be dangerous. I’ve also seen snares catch and kill lions.

My buddy and I have both had our dogs caught in snares while hunting pheasants and they absolutely can be dangerous. I’ve also seen snares catch and kill lions.
So you walk up and open the snare.. again if you are in control of your dog there is very little danger.

I never said they weren't potentially dangerous. A freaking hammer is potentially dangerous.

Clearly you're not a golfer.

Setters range wide, get in a snare and you're on another bird. Dog is dead.

Lab goes after duck in a pond, hits the leghold trap just out of sight of where you are, dog dies from drowning. C'mon man, it's not so difficult to recognize that there is a lot conflict here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back