Great American Outdoors Act is now Law

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
This morning, President Trump signed the Great American Outdoors Act. It is a really big deal and I give credit to all 59 co-sponsors and the President for signing this bill into law.

Bill link here - https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/3422

My first lobbying effort in DC, however unofficial it was and whatever little impact I had, was in 1998, on a very similar bill titled Conservation And Reinvestment Act (CARA). In the 2000 Congress it was right to the finish line, but some anti-public land Senators got it killed unexpectedly. Given that history, I held my breath on this one, thinking that 20 years later the likelihood of a last-minute death of the bill was even higher than it was in 2000.

The number of citizens who have worked on getting the Land and Water Conservation Fund fully funded and permanently reauthorized is immense. Many of them are no longer with us, having passed in the decades of effort to get to this point. I wish my buddy Alex Deikman was here to see this. I wish Jim Posewitz had lived to see this. I could list so many more, Bob Gibson, Tony Schoonen, and the list goes on and on.

I think of how many opportunities were lost as we fought over the funding of this program. LWCF is the same age I am. Only once in its 55 years was it fully funded, yet even at those low funding levels the money was leveraged to do remarkable things. Now, it will be fully funded and we can quit fighting over diversion of the funds and turn our efforts to finding the best possible projects for which the funds can be used.

Honestly, I never thought it would happen in my lifetime. Much like when Congress intervened to delist wolves in Idaho and Montana, sometimes the political planets align and some long-fought efforts get accomplished. This is one of those times and I am grateful for such.

I think about how far the public land issue has come in the last decade. In some western states we have candidates on both sides boasting of their public land and access credentials. We have some races that could decide the majority in the US Senate that will be heavily influenced by public land issues. To me, this raised importance to public lands and conservation is a huge swing of the pendulum. Thanks to the work of so many who have helped move that pendulum.

I had been invited to the White House ceremony for the signing of this bill. Having been to enough ceremonies and seen the jockeying for photo ops by groups who value the credit more than the accomplishment, I decided time would be better spent filming a conservation video. While we were out doing that, I had a big ass smile knowing that the President was signing this important bill and that we were not going to have a last-minute debacle.

Personally, I am happy to see that both of my Senators, Senator Daines and Senator Tester, co-sponsored this bill. If you click on the link above and you find if your Senator and/or Representative helped pass this legislation, I hope you will reach out and thank them. As a collective group we are always quick to criticize when our elected officials take positions we might not support. I think it is even more important, especially for the cause of public lands and conservation, that we give them the deserved accolades when something like this is passed.

If I could drink, I would toast a cheap beer. Since I can't drink, I'll write a post and thank all of you who helped with this effort. Thank you all.

Last edited:
I think of how many opportunities were lost as we fought over the funding of this program. LWCF is the same age I am. Only once in its 55 years was it fully funded, yet even at those low funding levels the money was leveraged to do remarkable things. Now, it will be fully funded and we can quit fighting over diversion of the funds and turn our efforts to finding the best possible projects for which the funds can be used.
I think it is important to note that the signing of this bill also has a second part to it that is just as important and worthy of sharing with everyone here that may have been under a rock in their quarantine over the last few months. Just copy and pasted directly from the link you provided:

"This bill establishes the National Parks and Public Land Legacy Restoration Fund to support deferred maintenance projects on federal lands.

For FY2021-FY2025, there shall be deposited into the fund an amount equal to 50% of all federal revenues from the development of oil, gas, coal, or alternative or renewable energy on federal lands and waters. Deposited amounts must not exceed $1.9 billion for any fiscal year."

Funding of federal land maintenance can be seen everywhere you go. From old deteriorating campgrounds to washed out roads to broken apart boat launches, maintenance has been extremely hard for the federal government to address due to lack of funding. Maybe someone can correct me on this but I'm also pretty sure that fighting wildfires is also classified in the funds resource of "maintenance". Bad fire years can equate to less funds for these maintenance items.

My first lobbying effort in DC, however unofficial it was and whatever little impact I had, was in 1998, on a very similar bill titled Conservation And Reinvestment Act (CARA). In the 2000 Congress it was right to the finish line, but some anti-public land Senators got it killed unexpectedly. Given that history, I held my breath on this one, thinking that 20 years later the likelihood of a last-minute death of the bill was even higher than it was in 2000.
CARA seems like a lifetime ago. But then again, BLM 2.0 is beginning to feel that way as well. :rolleyes:

I think @Big Fin is the only citizen of the United States to blow an elk bugle in the Capitol.

It took far more effort than it should have to do this, but by gum, it got done.

A lot of people will take credit for this win, and a lot of people deserve it. Like always, those who did the heaviest lifting will give their credit away and seek only the final passage as a result.

This is a good day for the outdoors. We've gone from Congress trying to eliminate public lands to finally full-filling their promise to us on one program, while finally moving forward on funding maintenance for parks. Now to get them to stop giving habitat the short shrift, and fund actual habitat restoration.

It's not all doom and gloom and even bad politicians (and there are many) find a good bill every now and then.

As someone who has only been aware of the world of conservation for a decade or so, I think it is hard for me to understand the breadth of how long a time coming this Act is, and the significance of this bill. I feel the excitement and hope this bill brings to those who have been in the fight a long time, and I am grateful for their work. A win is nice thing, particularly lately.

Thank you.

Randy, don't worry...I'll have a cheap beer or ten for you & then a few more in your honor. Well done. Myself & my two young boys thank everyone involved. 🇺🇲👏👏👏

Well out of our three votes, two SD congressmen voted no. Can't say I'm proud of Rounds or Johnson.

Thune voted yes at least, so we got that going for us.

Don't let my elected officials fool you though, I am very happy to see this passed into law. Huge win for all of us

If I could drink, I would toast a cheap beer. Since I can't drink, I'll write a post and thank all of you who helped with this effort. Thank you all.

I'll volunteer to pinch hit for you. Hopefully a gin and tonic is acceptable for toasting.

Well out of our three votes, two SD congressmen voted no. Can't say I'm proud of Rounds or Johnson.

Thune voted yes at least, so we got that going for us.

Don't let my elected officials fool you though, I am very happy to see this passed into law. Huge win for all of us
I contacted Rounds by email when he voted no. Got a typical blah blah blah response and that he would be sending an email with details as to why he voted no. Still waiting on a response that I suspect will never come. How can you be from SD and not see the benefit of this legislation? Anybody from SD got an answer?

I contacted Rounds by email when he voted no. Got a typical blah blah blah response and that he would be sending an email with details as to why he voted no. Still waiting on a response that I suspect will never come. How can you be from SD and not see the benefit of this legislation? Anybody from SD got an answer?
my best guess is he voted no based on financials, but total guess on my part.

Sad joke for SD if you ask me

Huge victory for public lands. Let's keep the momentum going.

This was grass roots politics at its best! Thanks to everyone on this forum and throughout the hunting and conservation community who took the time to reach out to your elected officials on this matter. The number of “surprises” (unfortunately none in my state!) of reps voting for this goes to show that grass roots activism still has a place in American politics. A win today on so many levels!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back