Caribou Gear

Anti Trapping News Papers

RobertR

As we all know with the introduction of wolf trapping in Montana trappers are taking some heat from anti trappers and organizations like Footloos. It seems that both the Billings Gazete and the Missoulian have reporters that keep this in the forefront to fuel the fire.
We need some good info to make these people back off.
The latest in the Missoulian http://missoulian.com/news/local/mo...cle_c87374d2-4eea-11e2-a81b-001a4bcf887a.html about lions caught in wolf traps and indiscriminate animals.
Here is a response I got from Footloose and I believe this is the one they use to get a trapping ban on the ballot.
They seem to want everything banned but none of them have a management plan for all wildlife or there habitat.

Footloose Montana

TOP 10 REASONS TO OPPOSE PUBLIC LANDS TRAPPING:
1. Trapping takes an enormous toll on riparian ecology by especially targeting beaver. This means less water and less riparian habitat for all species (humans, songbirds, ungulates, fish, etc.)
2. Trapping causes excessive suffering
3. The trapper can’t aim a trap like a hunter can aim a gun and engages in no meaningful pursuit
4. Traps kill endangered species – wolverine, lynx, fisher, etc.
5. Traps are baited and thus attract pets
6. Trapping costs us millions in lost revenue due to its indirect impact on water resources (esp. in an arid state like Montana), tourism (less furbearers means less wildlife watching) and wildlife (historically, trapping was the primary culprit in sending many of our species onto the Endangered Species list, necessitating recovery, for which we’ve been paying millions ever since).
7. Traps are a hazard. Trapping is poorly regulated. Traps are concealed, baited and no warning signs are required. Traps can be set year-round and almost anywhere on our public lands.
8. With very rare exceptions, trapping is no longer done for livelihood. Recreation is wonderful so long as it is responsible and is not predicated upon wanton suffering. That’s why we no longer have gladiators, frown upon dog fighting, etc.
9. Trapping uses a public resource for personal gain without contributing significantly to the public interest, as does hunting. The state income from trapping is negligible. The costs far outweigh benefits.
10. Trapping is NOT an effective management tool, as it causes more problems than it resolves. Trapping on public lands should be relegated to public safety and scientific research and only when done by public employees for the public interest.

The Missoulian is a rag that is loosing readership daily. Many subscribers have let their subscriptions lapse and don't reup. Mine was gone yrs. ago. Their liberal blather does not set well with people that do not live in the Missoula area. Trapping has been villainized by many a liberal newspaper writer who has little or no real knowledge of scientific wildlife management. Dump the Missoulian. MTG

I'm with you on wishing that there was some "good" info to make groups like Footloose back off trapping, but I fear that no matter what the information is, they still will fight it (and certain reporters will still keep those fires burning).

I went to a presentation that they put on regarding the wolf trapping season, and got some pretty good insight as well. They first off disagreed with the current wolf population number and then stated that trapping requires no skill. Some more "how come cruelty to animals" laws aren't applied to trapping? (and thew in hunting as well) then proceeded with a humane society-sara mcgloughlin style emotion pull ending with pictures of the speaker's dog who was killed in a trap. Needless to say the emotional side was heavy, facts were on the light side of things.

As for a management plan, nothing was put forth either. I was tempted to ask about the benefits of trapping feral cats which are decimating the song bird populations but didn't get the chance...

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back