H.R. 8828 introduced -Leghold and conibear traps

I would bet most of the problem isnt hunting dogs.

So, only hunting dogs are allowed to be off leash,,,,,,,ever, just so trappers can trap wherever, however?????? I doubt it will play out that way.

So, only hunting dogs are allowed to be off leash,,,,,,,ever, just so trappers can trap wherever, however??????
I don’t think any reasonable trapper expects that they can trap wherever, however.

My question is why is it always the trappers that have to give things up and never other user groups?

I respect the hell out of @VikingsGuy, but he stated himself that he wants to see no bodygrip traps allowed on land, and that there were other ways to trap. Where is the compromise in that? The trappers give up an entire class of traps, which happen to be one of the most effective and humane traps available in a lot of applications. What are the dog owners giving up?

I don’t think any reasonable trapper expects that they can trap wherever, however.

My question is why is it always the trappers that have to give things up and never other user groups?

I respect the hell out of @VikingsGuy, but he stated himself that he wants to see no bodygrip traps allowed on land, and that there were other ways to trap. Where is the compromise in that? The trappers give up an entire class of traps, which happen to be one of the most effective and humane traps available in a lot of applications. What are the dog owners giving up?
Exactly. Whenever someone butts heads with trapping on an issue it’s always trapping that takes it in the shorts.

I understand your perspective, and my libertarian tendencies can almost get behind the point. For me the distinguishing point with many of these questions is, if both perspectives are acting lawfully does one view still cause harm to the other. Bodygrip traps on land in MN are killing the hunting dogs of others as currently regulated therefore regulation to prevent the harm to the other is in order. I don’t view limiting one form of a recreation harm to another to the same extent as lethal action. I appreciate that some who are very passionate about the topic may disagree.

I understand your perspective, and my libertarian tendencies can almost get behind the point. For me the distinguishing point with many of these questions is, if both perspectives are acting lawfully does one view still cause harm to the other. Bodygrip traps on land in MN are killing the hunting dogs of others as currently regulated therefore regulation to prevent the harm to the other is in order. I don’t view limiting one form of a recreation harm to another to the same extent as lethal action. I appreciate that some who are very passionate about the topic may disagree.

I understand your perspective as well and obviously something needs to be done.

There are ways to address the issue without a complete ban of bodygrips on land. I have made a suggestion, it sounds like @huronmtns had some ideas as well.

I am glad that we can disagree without being disagreeable.

@VikingsGuy what is your guys bird season dates?
This year it was Sept 19th to Jan 3rd. Frankly is is longer than it probably needs to be. Not sure if season dates would work to fix for trappers, deer hunters and grouse hunters. FWIW I don’t grouse hunt (or hiking in general) public lands during our fairly short deer season. Too many guys shooting at moving twigs for my comfort.

Last edited:

I was responding to what I thought an unreasonable ask. As stated previously, I do not object to trapping. I do not object to conibear traps or snares, generally. Where I do have concerns is when snares and conibear traps are placed in areas that get a lot of other use by the public.

Little old ladies walking their dog have as much right to use public land as anyone else. How many of them can be expected to know how to free their dog from a snare or conibear trap?

This year it was Sept 19th to Jan 3rd. Frankly is is longer than it probably needs to be. Not sure if season dates would work to fix for trappers, deer hunters and grouse hunters. FWIW I don’t grouse hunt (or hiking in general) public lands during our fairly short deer season. Too many guys shooting at moving twigs for my comfort.
Just about like Montana’s seasons then. To me there could be a compromise of bird hunting ends end of November and trappers can use conibears December 1. I believe North Dakota does that for snaring season.

I was responding to what I thought an unreasonable ask. As stated previously, I do not object to trapping. I do not object to conibear traps or snares, generally. Where I do have concerns is when snares and conibear traps are placed in areas that get a lot of other use by the public.

Little old ladies walking their dog have as much right to use public land as anyone else. How many of them can be expected to know how to free their dog from a snare or conibear trap?
The little old lady has 9 months to let her dog run wild on public land. Maybe she can keep it on a leash for 3 months?

The little old lady has 9 months to let her dog run wild on public land. Maybe she can keep it on a leash for 3 months?

That's between you and her. I think there are more little old ladies than trappers, could be wrong thou.

Just about like Montana’s seasons then. To me there could be a compromise of bird hunting ends end of November and trappers can use conibears December 1. I believe North Dakota does that for snaring season.

I can see why you might like that. It doesn't float my boat much. That is about 25% of the hunting season. It can also be some really great hunting.

But I see your point.

I can see why you might like that. It doesn't float my boat much. That is about 25% of the hunting season. It can also be some really great hunting.

But I see your point.
Well it’s not the greatest for a trapper either because it basically leaves you with maybe a month of good fur. But it’s a compromise

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back