MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Guided vs diy

I wouldn't think twice about hiring a guide, if I thought I wanted one. Do what makes you happy, it's your hunt. Good luck

TO add to my earlier post...

DIY is reasonable if :
You know the country
you are familiar with the game's habits and behavior
You can scout multiple times in the summer
You can break down the carcass and get meat to the locker before it spoils.
you have the equipment and resources and experience to camp while trying to kill that species.
Time is not a limiting factor
You don't have rigid standards of a trophy

The only exception to that to me is pronghorn antelope. I definitely think someone could come out from a non antelope state and have a good hunt without summer scouting or knowing the country. (since a day or two of driving the open country would catch you up in a hurry)

As an example of the DIY dilemma. I realized the DIY guys killing big mule deer frequently 1) lived in/near the unit. 2) scouted incessantly 3) hunted mule deer to the exclusion of anything else 4) glassed about 100x more than I like to.

If someone wanted to be a DIY Elk hunter from the get go, I'd recommend starting the quest with general or OTC tags in a party of 4 hunters or more. More than likely, according to the success rates for most elk hunters, one or more hunters would be successful and they could share in the work and equipment needs. And they should go to the unit every year for 5 years...

If it is someone's first or second elk tag I would not begrudge them for seeking professional help. Especially when the likelihood of developing a working knowledge of the landscape and animals over multiple trips is minimal.

Hire a guide! Colorado will sell you all the archery “practice” tags you need OTC.

I would hate to not fill one of if not the best tags I ever draw on a learning experience. I value my time and opportunities over money and pride. I’m not digging on anyone here, but I’m more than OK admitting I used a guide when I show off my big mounted bull. And I’d rather do that than show folks my unfilled tag and explaining that I tried it on my own.

Hire a guide! Colorado will sell you all the archery “practice” tags you need OTC.

I would hate to not fill one of if not the best tags I ever draw on a learning experience. I value my time and opportunities over money and pride. I’m not digging on anyone here, but I’m more than OK admitting I used a guide when I show off my big mounted bull. And I’d rather do that than show folks my unfilled tag and explaining that I tried it on my own.
Of all the reasons to hire or not hire a guide, showing something off to someone ranks WAY WAY down the list. If on the list at all. smh

My wife, FIL, and I drew ML cow tags in the Gila some years ago. I had shot a couple of elk previously, but by more luck than skill. I located a one man guide/outfitter operation. My request to him : Guide us for two days. Teach us elk hunting 101. Show us the lay of the land. Teach us about local history, plant life, and customs. The guide said he had been in the business for over 30 years and had never been asked for anything like that. The result : we all had a great time, learned a bunch, and made a new friend. My wife and I both killed our elk on our own later in our stay. My FIL missed one.

Having 20 years of experience elk hunting is no guarantee you'll get an elk.

Having zero experience elk hunting doesn't mean you won't get an elk on the first try.

Do you want to feel really good about your first elk kill or do you want someone to hold your hand on your first elk kill?

We're all different. Which type are you?

2. Hire a guide and try to learn as much as possible for future hunts.

I'm sure it will be a fun hunt either way and can't wait for it to be September.
If little /no archery elk experience on a tough draw tag location w/ little opportunity to scout or experience w/in the area...
Knowing the lay of the land, having a sense of possible resident herds, and frequent scouting (for a tough draw tag), and limited skill w/ archery... calling alone is a skill to pull a herd bull and keep it /move it into range.

Hire a guide if $ is not a life budget screwball.

As you say, it will be a fun hunt either way.

If you are going to hire a guide I would be making phone calls ASAP. The best guides book up very fast after draw results come out.

I have made some phone calls to guides trying to get a feel for who I would want to go with if I go that route. If I do go guided I don't want to feel like they are doing all the hunting and I'm just walking around like a puppet and there for killing.
I get more enjoyment from the memories me and my brother make during the adventure then the kill or trophy size. That being said I'm sure there are plenty of guided that would be a blast to hunt with and would treat us more like friends then just clients.

The money part is kind of a hang up I definitely have the money to do it but I like saving money probably the reason I have the money to do it. I'm just worried I'll spend a pile of money have a bad experience with a guide.

What I thought would work is to hunt with a guide for 6 days or and if I don't get one I could hunt a few more days on my own. This seems like a good solution but all the guides suggest hunting the last week of the season because the rut is picking up and if I'm going to be paying someone it might as well be at the optimal time

If I was a guide i'd tell the client if I don't get you an elk you only need to pay me half price.

I bet more elk would be shot if they all did that.

In reading the advice to use a drop camp, here's what I've observed with them, as just someone that has camped in their area, and lead my own pack string past them and talked to the hunters.
First off, I know full well, an area that is devoid of any Elk today, can have a large herd there the next day. It can and does happen by a herd moving in for a variety of reasons.
Yet, the way I look at them, unless you're the first crew hunting out of one, when the outfitter packs you into one, he's packed a crew out of there the day prior. Then, there was another crew there before that crew. Point being, you have no idea what all has been going on there prior to your arrival. Were the prior hunters sloppy or savvy? Who knows? I feel the constant turnover of hunting clients using the same hunting camp might be not the best plan?

im in a similar boat//i drew unit 15 late muzz elk,,a dang good tag,,but am 99 pct sure im gonna go d i y,,looking on line it really appears that new mexico is way heavy on the guides,,uso guide horror storys and such,,although it sounds like unit 15 is just as jammed up with outfitters ,sounds like they are fierce down there even on public land.

Just having a quality tag and hiring a guide doesn’t guarantee that you’ll kill a bull. I know a guy that went on a guided hunt in New Mexico that never saw a bull. Outfitter told him and others in camp the day they arrived that over half of them would not kill a animal. Supposedly worst drought in history, Yada yada yada. Twelve hunters killed 2 bulls. He felt cheated after the trip was over because he could’ve hunted the same area on his own. Point being, all previous posters have made valid comments and the ultimate decision is yours. Good luck with your choice and enjoy it for what it is, a great adventure.

If you can’t get down to figure out where the water is would look at the outfitter route. Unless the current drought situation changes would expect another spotty late rut in the gila.

It's all about what it means to the individual. I have a few elk mounts in my house, and when I look at them I remember how they were killed. I remember how my son called one in, how I sneaked in on another, and the work it was packing them out. Personally, I'd never use an outfitter, and once turned down a free outfitted hunt on one of the biggest and best elk hunting ranches in Montana. I've also drawn "once in a lifetime" tags and not filled them - no big deal. I would assume that the chances of killing an elk are much higher with an outfitter, plus it would be a much more comfortable experience with them doing the work. So the real question is what do you want to get out of the hunt?

I have a tag in 16B this year and have heard that it's possible to get a local or an outfitter to pack something out for you. Any thoughts or advice on that for the fall of 2021?

I see you have also discovered the words of Randy Pausch: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/randy_pausch_564708

There are some other good ones as well:

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment. Rita Mae Brown

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. Oscar Wilde

Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience. Paulo Coelho

-----

For some of us who are residents of NM and prefer the experience of the DIY hunt, the use of a guide during the hunt isn't always as satisfying. Most of them are good guys and good at what they do, but in my case I am just looking for some hired help to pack out a kill. I tend to draw a NM tag 4 outa 5 years so no kill in the Gila isn't as painful as it is for those that have to beat the odds for an outa state tag and then make the most of it.

From the notes and PM's I've picked up through the various forums and contacts I've heard mention of hiring locals and outfitters that are in the area you are hunting in. Just curious if that is really possible or just a few isolated stories where somebody got lucky in the moment?

Reactions: JAG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back