Guided vs diy

Busyfarmin

I never thought I would consider going on a guided hunt until last week when I drew a archery elk tag for the Gila National Forest. Given the circumstance that this might be one of the best tags I ever draw I want to make the most of it.
I have been pretty successful hunting out west diy but I have very little experience hunting elk. I have only honestly spent about 5 hours elk hunting and that was on a late hunt in Arizona where I got a pretty good 6x6 but was due to luck and didn't learn alot besides that my e scouting plan worked very well.
My question is which of these options do you think would be best for someone with no archery elk experience with what I supposed to be a really good tag?
1. Go diy and hopefully making a scouting trip in August to get a familiar with the area and maybe set a few cameras out. Then spend as much time hunting as possible. I am pretty confident in my hunting abilities.
2. Hire a guide and try to learn as much as possible for future hunts.

I'm sure it will be a fun hunt either way and can't wait for it to be September.

I never thought I would consider going on a guided hunt until last week when I drew a archery elk tag for the Gila National Forest. Given the circumstance that this might be one of the best tags I ever draw I want to make the most of it.
I have been pretty successful hunting out west diy but I have very little experience hunting elk. I have only honestly spent about 5 hours elk hunting and that was on a late hunt in Arizona where I got a pretty good 6x6 but was due to luck and didn't learn alot besides that my e scouting plan worked very well.
My question is which of these options do you think would be best for someone with no archery elk experience with what I supposed to be a really good tag?
1. Go diy and hopefully making a scouting trip in August to get a familiar with the area and maybe set a few cameras out. Then spend as much time hunting as possible. I am pretty confident in my hunting abilities.
2. Hire a guide and try to learn as much as possible for future hunts.

I'm sure it will be a fun hunt either way and can't wait for it to be September.
Consider having it both ways. Hire a guide to get you to a drop camp and watch them leave and you can do the rest. And a week or so later they come back to haul out your elk.

For me, it would come down to your goals for that tag. You say very little experience hunting elk. Can you call? Do you knwo what sounds to make when? Do you have someone that can call for you? I know nothing about the Gila other than reputation for big elk, an outfitter might be able to get you access, either private land, or by equipment to get you way back so you don't spend hours hiking to where you want to hunt, they will also know that area inside out (hopefully).

Would the memory of that monster bull be lessened that a guide called it in for you? I've done guided elk and they taught me to call etc. you can learn from them. Still when I had a bull screaming at me this fall on my own for hte first time, I was like "duhhh, what do I do now" :cool:

It's really about your hopes for the tag. Would you rather go guided and get a monster or go DIY and eat the tag?

I have vivid visions of a huge bull that would have been a piece of cake,if someone had been calling behind me. 3 days he screwed with me.
I see a lot of folks in town filling fuel/water tanks & cans to scout & hunt. A long ways to anything in the Gila. Water will most likely be a huge issue this year too.
Drop camp would be a good choice,with the right folks. Or bring help. IMHO

Thanks for the replies!
I thought about drop camp or having an outfitter doing some scouting for me but the one outfitter told me that they could provide services like that but that most places would put the higher paying full guided clients in better spots. I don't totally agree with it but can't blame them either.
I have no elk calling experience what so ever. My brother plans on coming with and he enjoys calling turkeys so I think he should be able to partially figure it out by September.

It's really about your hopes for the tag. Would you rather go guided and get a monster or go DIY and eat the tag?
I would prefer to get a monster with a guide over eating the tag but like anyone else would rather get a nice bull on my own.

With a tag like that, it would be one hell of a time to learn. Just sayin...

If it was a rifle tag you might git er done DIY with a week of scouting. With your inexperience as a bow hunter for elk, I would give the same odds of success that you had in drawing the tag.

I watched a guy bugger a hung up bull last season because he didn’t know what to do.

With a tag like that, it would be one hell of a time to learn. Just sayin...

If it was a rifle tag you might git er done DIY with a week of scouting. With your inexperience as a bow hunter for elk, I would give the same odds of success that you had in drawing the tag.

I watched a guy bugger a hung up bull last season because he didn’t know what to do.
I concur

Nothing wrong with getting a guide for an out of state species that you don't have experience hunting. Especially one in rough country that could have meat spoiling in early season heat.

The difference might be if you have experienced help that knows the country.

NM has a lot of guides who will do a 2 day agreement. The Gila is one of the places i would want local knowledge.

The difference might be if you have experienced help that knows the country.
I was thinking of this also and that it would be a way to avoid getting a guide. If I could make friends with someone familiar with the area that might even want to tag along for the hunt would be a benefit.

Consider having it both ways. Hire a guide to get you to a drop camp and watch them leave and you can do the rest. And a week or so later they come back to haul out your elk.
I wouldn't do that, if your gonna hire a guide you want them to guide you not drop you off at a 2nd rate spot they dont take there other clients. Nothing wrong with doing it either way, all personal preference. I would do it myself but that's just me.

Wouldn’t want to do a drop camp and get dropped in a shitty spot for a week and be stuck there. Fully guided or roll on your own. Much more rewarding killing it on your own unless you just want that big bull for the wall
Not to discourage but if my buffet was my only guided one, that would be bitter sweet. Everyone feels different about it though. I'd rather enjoy the hunt in the Gila and come home empty handed than have someone take me to a bull and let me shoot it. What unit @bigbear450 ?

Not to discourage but if my buffet was my only guided one, that would be bitter sweet. Everyone feels different about it though. I'd rather enjoy the hunt in the Gila and come home empty handed than have someone take me to a bull and let me shoot it. What unit @bigbear450 ?
I agree this is how I felt before I started talking to other people about the hunt. I am fine with going home empty handed its the memories that make the trip and I think it would be more fun with just me and my brother.
16a is the unit

Better the tag; better chance I would use a guide.

Some are good and some not so much; I am talking both tags and guides.

Have family that are better than most guides. Do not want to screw with plans.

I would have conversations.

I agree this is how I felt before I started talking to other people about the hunt. I am fine with going home empty handed its the memories that make the trip and I think it would be more fun with just me and my brother.
16a is the unit
I might be able to help if you havent been there before. Even though you took my tag. 1st or 2nd week of archery?

Wouldn’t want to do a drop camp and get dropped in a shitty spot for a week and be stuck there. Fully guided or roll on your own. Much more rewarding killing it on your own unless you just want that big bull for the wall
This. Drop camp would be my last option. I’ve heard to many stories of people stuck in a camp with no elk. The biggest thing I’ve learned elk hunting is keep moving until you are in them good then hunt. Good luck

Guides don't walk you around and say "shoot that one" unless you want. Tell them you want to learn and they will teach.

As for your brother, if he calls turkeys with a diaphragm he most likely can easily learn to bugle and cow call. But making the sounds is the easy part

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back