Guided vs diy

Do what feels right for you.
Personally, I would go DIY because that is what I love to do. I don’t enjoy hunting with a guide because hunting to me is a very personal experience in which success or failure is totally on me and success doesn’t necessarily mean filling a tag. I especially love the challenge and feeling of adventure that comes with guiding myself through new country.
I’ve only used guides twice in my life and regretted immensely both times and those turned out to be the most unenjoyable hunts ever for me.
That said, I don’t begrudge anyone for going with a guide if that’s what you like to do. Everyone is different.
Life is short, do what makes you happy.

If you want to relax, have someone do everything for you and you just have to make a good shot when it counts. Go guided. They doing the hunting you just have to make a good shot!

I decided to go the diy route. I am planning to be able to hunt the full 2 weeks if needed. I'm also hoping to make it down in early August for a scouting trip to get familiar with the area and find where there is still water.
We have been practicing calling and doing alot of e scouting. I've talked to a few previous tag holders and have gotten a good amount of helpful information.
I'm sure going guided probably would increase the odds of "success" but I'm confident we will have a good time and will give it our best effort.
In the mean time sounds like I should do a few rain dances and continue researching.
I'll keep everyone posted on how the hunt goes either on this thread or start a new one for the hunt itself.

Easy come easy go... if you go guided you'll wonder if you could have done it DIY. If you go DIY and aren't successful you'll wonder if you should have went guided.

What happens if you go guided and don't fill your tag, or aren't satisfied with the results?

I'd go DIY and reserch the chit out of it and put in your best effort. The reward of filling a tag will be by yourself vs a hand holding experience is night-and-day for me. YMMV.

Filling a tag isn't the end of the world, enjoy the experience either way. Putting a bug bull on the ground shouldn't be the the only goal.

Good luck on your hunt and decision. I know I was no help. 😀

I decided to go the diy route. I am planning to be able to hunt the full 2 weeks if needed. I'm also hoping to make it down in early August for a scouting trip to get familiar with the area and find where there is still water.
We have been practicing calling and doing alot of e scouting. I've talked to a few previous tag holders and have gotten a good amount of helpful information.
I'm sure going guided probably would increase the odds of "success" but I'm confident we will have a good time and will give it our best effort.
In the mean time sounds like I should do a few rain dances and continue researching.
I'll keep everyone posted on how the hunt goes either on this thread or start a new one for the hunt itself.

Good decision. Enjoy the hunt.

I just read all the posts on this.. it was neat to feel the suspense build with everyone giving you pros/cons and you finally deciding to go at it diy. I'm excited to see you decided DIY. My first hunt was DIY in CO and we came out empty; I was discouraged but stoked to go back at it again. Let us know how your scouting and hunt go. If you still haven't made it out yet, you may want to check out Randy's e-scouting videos on youtube.. one of them gives you all the spots he selected in one of the Gila 16 units.

Taking a guided hunt will show you how successful hunters hunt in that area. I would recommend you taking a guided hunt this year then next year doing a diy.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back